RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 534
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 2 2006, 02:43 AM   #91
^SnIpeR^
Lieutenant

Re: 3D Software?

No one really seems to have mentioned XSI... If you're doing a production it wouldn't be a bad choice as a one-stop shop since it has a built in compositor that works a lot like Shake and isn't far off in terms of power.

Also, because its part of the 3d package you can pull off specular channels and blur them etc for that nice filmy glow all without needing to render seperate passes or pulling a luminance key.

Also if you don't care about hair its quite cheap.
Old February 2 2006, 02:56 AM   #92
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I don't really like the XSI compositor, but I don't really have a good reason... I think its because the flow is downward, and I'm still used to DFX+ which has the flow go to the right by default. I'm irrational like that

But yes.. XSI is a solid program. Over the past year I've migrated over to it from LW. I used LW for years, and now I can't figure out how I got by, because XSI just feels really natural to me... most of the time, anyway.
Old February 7 2006, 04:10 AM   #93
^SnIpeR^
Lieutenant

I'm still using Shake to this day. I'm using 2.5 under windows for 3d jobs because it just does the job.

When a real job (uses real footage, etc) I use shake 4 on the mac. Pity I hate Mac with such a bloody passion >
Old March 2 2006, 02:34 AM   #94
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Hi guys,

Maya is my personal choice for "recreational" modeling and rendering. I've invested a few hundred dollars in a complete set of "Learning Maya" books and have the "Personal Learning Edition" that came with it. I also have worked with (but obviously don't personally own it due to cost) the "Unlimited" edition of Maya 6. For the sort of trek-related stuff we do here, you don't really need Unlimited... it mainly gives additional particle effects (water, etc), and hair/fur capabilities... things like that. For doing technology, having the "Personal Learning Edition" (which you can get essentially for free, or get as part of a "Beginner's Guide" DVD bundle for only something like $30... this is definitely the way I'd go.

I've worked with Lightwave, 3DSMax, and Maya... but I chose Maya because it's just so much easier to learn (IMHO).

Now, if I can only find a good tool for exporting Pro/E files and importing them into MAYA without losing surfaces and appearances... I really like doing the hard mechanical stuff in there (that's what it's designed for). I use Pro/E at work... a personal copy of that will run ya about $6,000, but the build-in renderer is not particularly capable (nor is it really intended for any such purpose).

Anyone have any experience getting ProE files into any of the computer animation/rendering packages we're talking about without data loss?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2006, 03:42 AM   #95
Equinox
Fleet Captain

I use Strata 3D (www.strata.com)

It's the program used to make Myst years ago.

Modeling is pretty easy (well, as easy as it can be to do anything in 3D) and the interface is pretty simple as well (as easy as it can be for a 3d program).

Animation is a pain, but it's always a pain in 3D.

But overall, Strata is a great, easy to learn program. I've tried Lightwave, Maya, Carrara...nothing is easier to learn than this.
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2006, 02:16 PM   #96
MikeGainer
too fat to fish

I'm currently working under Maya 7.0 and its pretty nice for character animation. I would like to switch over to Cinema 4d sometime in the future. I find the interface for Cinema ideal for me that wants to get into the visual effects business.
MikeGainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2006, 05:22 PM   #97
Ptrope
Agitator

Because it seems to be getting some good press here lately, I'll toss in the link for Google SketchUp, a free 3D design program with a very intuitive interface and some impressive capabilities. The free version doesn't allow exports to other 3D formats, so you're pretty much stuck with the rendering tools it has, which are more along the lines of architectural rendering - which can be very useful for the right applications, such as creating comics and the like; there is also a Pro version that has more tools and abilities, and can export a number of 3D formats, so you can then modify, polish and render them in more traditional applications.

**** Highly recommended

============

Also, a program called Hexagon 2.0 is available now from DAZ, the creators of a great deal of high-quality content for Poser, and also of their own Poser-type program called DAZ|Studio (also avaialable for free). Hexagon is a full-featured 3D program, which includes tools for UV mapping and 3D texture painting. DAZ just bought the company that created Hexagon, Eovia, and as their introduction to the software, DAZ Premiere Club members can buy the full program for $1.99 for a limited time (it's normally priced at $269!). Membership is only $7.95, though, and you're not committed to any term, so you could get the program for, at most, $9.94, a bargain in anybody's book .
Old June 5 2006, 05:36 AM   #98
PresNevins
Cadet

I used LightWave for five years until I realized its user interface and my brain just didn't mesh. I've been using Cinema 4D for the past three years and now couldn't live without it.

{shameless plug} I have some Trek interiors (caveat: very much in progress) here if you want to see what it can do. {/shameless plug}

Pres
PresNevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2006, 07:41 AM   #99
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

I have used Lightwave for a year or two, but since finding out that Newtek isn't planning on ironing out the bugs (that have been there since version 6 or so) in version 9, I've stepped over to Modo recently.

Version 103 has a wonderfully efficient and extremely fast workflow, some really great tools and it can comfortably handle models almost 6 times as complex as LW Modeler can.

The last few days I've tinkered on the laptop of a friend of mine, who has Modo 201 (the trail isn't for download yet, so I can't try it at home), and the renderer is amazing. I don't know much about lighting, but I do know something about renderspeed, and it's stunning. The ZBrush-like painting system also seems good in theory, but I couldn't get it to work.

I think I'll take Modo as my standard modeler.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2006, 03:33 PM   #100
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Ptrope said:
Because it seems to be getting some good press here lately, I'll toss in the link for Google SketchUp, a free 3D design program with a very intuitive interface and some impressive capabilities.
I've been playing around with this lately, I wish more 3d programs were this easy to use, and weren't such resource hogs.

I would recommend this esp for a newbie. :thumbsup:

That Google dude is a great visual size reference.
Old July 11 2006, 04:55 AM   #101
mattc
Ensign

DiSiLLUSiON said:
I have used Lightwave for a year or two, but since finding out that Newtek isn't planning on ironing out the bugs (that have been there since version 6 or so) in version 9.
That is completely and utterly wrong.

it can comfortably handle models almost 6 times as complex as LW Modeler can.
As is that.

M.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2006, 12:00 AM   #102
lonewriter
Lieutenant Commander

I use 3ds Max but I just got Lightwave.
Old August 16 2006, 05:17 PM   #103
Wolf-359
Commander

I am a heavy user of several

Maya
C4D = Cinema 4D
3D Max
CAD Autodesk

but also:
Shake
Combustion
After Effects

"Ill slap you so hard that you will regret when you were born" - Hanoz

"hmm I am stuck in a hole..." - Tony
Wolf-359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2006, 05:59 PM   #104
lonewriter
Lieutenant Commander

I use 3ds Max and Lightwave. I just got Lightwave and I like it much better than Max.
Old November 19 2006, 07:37 PM   #105
Killer1021a
Lieutenant Junior Grade

i mainly like blender it's really the only one i'v e used
Killer1021a is offline   Reply With Quote