Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 27 2004, 01:59 AM   #16
PointyHairedJedi
Vice Admiral

View PointyHairedJedi's Twitter Profile
Re: 3D Software?

Rhino is pretty easy to use, or at leasst I found it to be anyway, and it was the first 3D modler I ever used. It's not so good for doing some of the more complex stuff though (and the lighting effects are a bit duff, though the newest version is supposed to be better).

FiveMinute.net | deviantART
PointyHairedJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2004, 06:52 AM   #17
Lil Chaka
Commander

Posted by The Axeman:
3D Rendering and Animation

POV-RAY . . .

Wings3D . . .

Anim8or . . .

Blender . . .

Truespace 3D . . .

Lightwave 3D . . .

3DStudio MAX . . .

Maya . . .

What about ElectricImage Universe and Cinema 4D?

Universe is a versatile program that's both a solids and a surface modeler as well as a very good animator. Used in dozens of Hollywood productions. Some more information and a really impressive gallery of work at http://www.electricimage.com/

Cinema 4D is also very advanced and its user base is growing. It's currently at revision 8 and has numerous additional modules. http://www.maxon.net/index_e.html

Jus thought I'd mention these.
Old January 27 2004, 10:54 PM   #18
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Posted by Four Mad Men:
Posted by Lindley:
Are any of these programs decent at cityscapes?

(I'm downloading Blender now. Going to play around with it a bit.)
A quick tip. When in edit mode turn on show faces and edges. I't gives a nice visual cue to what your doing.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Just took a look at Blender.....talk about unintuitive. Couldn't even figure out how to change the camera perspective.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2004, 12:06 AM   #19
Four Mad Men
Fleet Captain

There's definately a learning curve there. Knowing the keyboard commands and mouse buttons really speeds things up. I posted a link to (an old but still usefull) list of keyboard commands for Blender on another thread in this forum.

I believe the subject was "Downloaded Blender". But a title search for "blender" should turn it up.
Old January 29 2004, 02:58 AM   #20

Posted by The Axeman:
Ages ago there was someone who asked my permission to turn a load of my old objects into Blender format for his site, so I assume there's some sort of import function out there for converting them. Lightwave itself can export as .lwo .3ds .dxf and .obj if any of those are of any use.
Thanks for the info Axeman!

For anyone who is interested, there have been some great updates and new 3-D links to the TOS Galileo design thread at

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...7&page=3&pp=20

and

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...t=73567&page=4

those who decide to log in and join in on the project will get some interesting working files.

Even if you don't want to join in, at least stop by and check out the interesting links and pics.

Thanks again, Axeman, and Four Mad Men, for the conversion info. Any chance anyone knows a specific name for a conversion utility, shareware or freeware?
Old January 29 2004, 10:32 AM   #21
The Axeman
Commodore

You'd best visit www.3dlinks.com for any info you might need, they have a whole section on converters of all types as well as all the links you'll ever need for models, etc. I have to say that the 2 or 3 converters I've tried pretty much sucked, but I dont have the money for the full-on commercial packages so I cant comment on them. I dont even know what format Blender models come in, so I dont know which converters might be useful to you anyway. Personally the best converter I ever found was an actual 3D program itself, Pixel 3D, which could load and save in a ton of different formats.
Old January 29 2004, 12:04 PM   #22
Four Mad Men
Fleet Captain

If your going to use Blender then you have several options (i.e. which script you get for conversion). The best one I've seen is called IOSuite (website). The next release of Blender (in a couple of weeks) will include the ability to directly register Python scripts into the interface. I suspect that IOSuite will be one of the first things that will make use of this and if I'm not mistaken it just might be bundled along with Blender (for the next release).

If you want to take a non-Blender route there is a program called "AccuTrans" (website). It's not free but it's not expensive either. I've never used it so I don't know if it's garbage or not.
Old January 29 2004, 02:38 PM   #23
JoshC
Commodore

Wow, thanks guys! That's a lot of good info. I downloaded several of the programs and since Anim8or looks the least intimidating I've been using it as a starting place. I can see where Blender certainly looks to have more features, but I'm guessing the basics are fairly common.

So far I've managed to get the most basic shapes of my ship, the wings and the main fuselage, built to what looks like about the right scale and position to each other. I'm setting it aside until this weekend when hopefully I'll have some time to go through some tutorials for either Anim8or or Blender. So far it's been easy because it's all been a matter of using the basic shapes in the software and adjusting their size, scale, and position, but from here there's some fairly specific stuff I want to do that I'm clueless on.

One thing I'm curious about since most of you model ships that have already been designed is how do you make sure your model is accurate? Do you measure angles and proportions on line drawings? What I'm trying to do is so much simpler because I can just eyeball it and say "Yeah, that looks right." I'm just blown away by how people do the really accurate models of more complex shapes like any of the Enterprises. Simply amazing.
JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2004, 05:19 PM   #24
Vektor
Rear Admiral

This thread is so chock-full of useful information, I think it's worth pinning at the top.
Old January 29 2004, 05:34 PM   #25
The Axeman
Commodore

Accuracy is a product of accurate reference information in the first place. Many things out there only have screencaps and pictures and suchlike, which makes it a 'best guess' when it comes to making a model of it. If it looks like it, then you're doing well. Get as many photos from as many angles as you can and keeep referring to them as you work.

For well known stuff like the various Enterprises you can download the blueprints or orthographic drawings of the ship in question, and most 3D programs I've worked with allow you to place a reference image in the background of your modelling window so you can basically trace the outlines. In Lightwave you have the front, side and top views of your model as you work, so when someone like Reverend makes a 5-view layout of a ship I then chop it up into it's seperate views and load the appropriate pictures into the view windows. I then 'trace' the blueprint and out pops an accurate 3D model.
Old January 29 2004, 09:35 PM   #26
JoshC
Commodore

Hey, my thread got pinned. Cool! Where's that dancing banana when you need it?

Here's my little ship so far. It's all done with the basic shapes in Anim8or so far, which I'm betting is completely the wrong way to do it. My project for this weekend is to figure out how to taper the fuselage down into the point of the nose for the cockpit and maybe make the leading edges of the wings something other than flat surfaces. I also think I'm getting the scale of it all screwed up. Based on the guns on top and bottom it looks about the size of a small shuttle when it's supposed to be the size of the Millennium Falcon or the Ebon Hawk from KOTOR. I'm pretty happy with it so far, though, since I'd never tried anything like this before Monday.

JoshC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2004, 03:36 PM   #27
Veridian
Lieutenant Commander

View Veridian's Twitter Profile

Looks pretty good for a first effort, I think.
Old January 31 2004, 11:18 PM   #28
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Posted by Four Mad Men:
There's definately a learning curve there. Knowing the keyboard commands and mouse buttons really speeds things up. I posted a link to (an old but still usefull) list of keyboard commands for Blender on another thread in this forum.

I believe the subject was "Downloaded Blender". But a title search for "blender" should turn it up.
I'll take a look. But frankly, I'm about ready to give up on Blender. Its so hard to figure out how to make it do the simplest things (like selecting a different object) that IMO its just not worth it.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2004, 03:48 AM   #29
Four Mad Men
Fleet Captain

It's really not too terrible once you learn a few basics. I'll start a new thread tonight if I can -- tomorrow if I can't -- that goes over some of them.
Old February 1 2004, 06:38 AM   #30
Michael Chris
Admiral

I use Blender, I've not used it for long at all, but it's very easy to use once you get the basic commands down.