Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 30 2008, 01:47 AM   #136
digefxgrp
Ensign

Re: 3D Software?

But, if you want basic nurbs, go for rhino, its easy and you can get some really fantastic results (depending how persistent you are)
Rhino is an excellent full-blown Nurbs based program. With that said, a fairly big learning curve goes along with it.

Recently, a program called MOI (Moment of Inspiration) has been getting a lot of attention. Most people call it a "scaled-down" version of Rhino as it has most of the more common nurb tools needed without the overhead that Rhino carries. It also has far superior Nurb-to-Polygon conversion capabilities so you can export clean to your other 3D-software package. I use it with Lightwave and it gives me the best of both worlds. Best thing is MOI is simple to use and understand and has no where near the learning curve of Rhino. However you still need to have an understanding on how Nurb surfaces work. It is different than poly or sub-d modeling.

MOI sells for $195. A killer price for all it has to offer.

Check it out
http://moi3d.com
digefxgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2008, 04:27 AM   #137
Relayer
Lieutenant Commander

Autodesk has swallowed another one.

Autodesk Signs Agreement with Avid Technology to Acquire Softimage

Acquisition to Accelerate Autodesk’s Games Strategy; Complements Digital Entertainment and Visual Communications Offering; Lets Artists Choose their Passion

SAN RAFAEL, Calif., Oct. 23, 2008 — Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK) and Avid Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVID), announced that they have signed a definitive agreement for Autodesk to acquire substantially all of the assets of Avid’s Softimage business unit for approximately $35 million.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
Old October 27 2008, 03:43 AM   #138
Just_Bob
Commander

Avid has been hitting a few financial bumps in the road for a while and has previously offered XSI up for sale to two other companies that were not interested. It doesn't surprise me that Autodesk said yes.

There are users that dropped Lightwave and/or MAX for XSI and some of those users are about to leap from an 18th floor window due to what some perceive as the coming death of XSI.....complacency with further development.

Edited to add:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54

Last edited by Just_Bob; October 27 2008 at 08:14 AM.
Just_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2009, 06:35 PM   #139
Kuvagh
Ensign

Hey, Guys.

I'm very comfortable creating bezier curves the Adobe way. I'm looking for a 3D program which will allow me to do this. Blender's curves are infuriating, and the Maya trial's are better, but still annoying. I don't want to learn a new method of creating curves when there's one which I can already fly through.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Kuvagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2009, 06:58 PM   #140
Ptrope
Agitator

I don't know how the other programs create curves, but Lightwave has Bezier curves that work, in my experience, pretty much the same as those in Illustrator or CorelDraw.
Old January 13 2009, 01:35 PM   #141
Kuvagh
Ensign

Sadly, Lightwave doesn't have a Mac version. I may goof around with the trial in Windows, anyway... all of my art software is Mac, though, so setting up a workflow would be awful.

Blenders' curves work by essentially pasting in a generic curve which must be modified into the shape you want. This is no way to create curves.

Maya's are a little better, but as far as I can tell, are missing little things which make Illustrator's beziers so nice... like holding shift to force a 90 degree handle and fast ways to chop a handle off. Maybe those commands are in there somewhere, but I haven't found them. It's also expensive, of course.
Old January 14 2009, 04:48 AM   #142
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^Huh? LightWave has a Mac version. I'm running it right now. LW 9.3 on Mac OS 10.5. It's 3D Studio Max that doens't have a Mac version.
Old January 14 2009, 04:59 AM   #143
Thurisaz
Lieutenant Commander

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
^Huh? LightWave has a Mac version. I'm running it right now. LW 9.3 on Mac OS 10.5. It's 3D Studio Max that doens't have a Mac version.
Doesn't Pixar use Lightwave on Macs? I thought they did. Or maybe the Pixar movies are only edited on Macs via Final Cut Pro? I have no idea.
Thurisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 05:05 AM   #144
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

ILM used to use LW on Macs for previs work, before Maya had a Mac version. No idea about Pixar, though.
Old January 14 2009, 06:06 AM   #145
Shaw
Commodore

ILM used Maya on SGI workstations throughout the 1990's and at least up until around 2003. They used Macs for almost every other computing aspect though, and most people had both systems at their desks. It should be noted that at one point places like ILM didn't need both SGIs and Macs because there were versions of things like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Framemaker and Acrobat for IRIX (I have copies of most of those on my SGIs). The problem was that they became antiquated quite fast after they stopped being made for the platform (the last version of Photoshop for IRIX was 3.0.1) and they needed the other tools handy. Maya wasn't the only tool that they were using their SGIs for though... Pixar's Renderman, Shake and a bunch of great effects software by Discreet (which is now Autodesk) were all great reasons to stay with SGIs.

On the question of what Pixar used... they are a software company (they develop and sell Renderman). But they try to stay platform neutral... more importantly, since they used their movies to help sell software, they have attempted to use a different platform for each major movie since Toy Story (which was done using SGI workstations and a Sun Microsystems render farm). As I recall, Finding Nemo was done on IBM workstations running Linux. Renderman has been available for many platforms, but only NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP had elements of the software built into the operating system.

I'm sure that Pixar uses Final Cut Pro Studio, Logic Studio and Shake on Macs for some aspects of editing, but unless Disney has put an end to the software side of Pixar, they tend to like to make the point that their software makes great 3D renderings no matter what platform you are using. The only time a platform was given special treatment was for NeXT, but all the Renderman aspects of NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP were removed when Apple started development on Mac OS X. Pixar gave Apple no special treatment after Apple acquired NeXT in December of 1996.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 01:42 PM   #146
Kuvagh
Ensign

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
You're correct! Silly me.
Old February 27 2009, 06:18 AM   #147
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

Cid Highwind wrote: View Post
Related question... For a small (or not so small, depends ) project using VRML, I am looking for a 3D modelling tool that exports to VRML 2.0 (VRML97). It should be as free and as intuitive (in this order) as possible, and doesn't need to have too many functions - I never tried 3D modelling before, and only need to produce relatively simple shapes.

I hope someone will be able to help me out with some suggestions...

Hi Guys - I'm the guy building the TOS Enterprise in VRML
from the inside - out using the Franz Joseph Designs deck plans
and what I can use from the series sets.
Did I mention that it was life-sized?
I know it's a little cartoon-ish, but then who isn't!

I've made videos of my progress on youtube.
Thanks Eric Cheung for your links - I followed them backward and joined the BBS.

This is what you can make using just straight VRML,
without a modeling package - NO MODELING SOFTWARE.

Are you interested enough to try to build something in VRML?
It's not that tough if I can do it - it's just a little trig...

I've used straight text files containing VRML, even built the files
using excel, vb, vba, access - you have a whole lot of possible tools,
but I still rely on the windows calculator and a text file.
BrookeStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 03:50 AM   #148
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

If anyone's using Blender, there's a new site out there called Blenducation with frequent classes on using Blender. Some of the classes cost from $10 to $20 (US), but a lot of them are free and there are archives. I highly recommend the free sessions -- they're focused on a subject, but informal and there are plenty of opportunities to ask questions and learn new tricks.
Old April 4 2009, 06:36 AM   #149
Roberto
Lieutenant

I'm going to have to check this stuff out.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 11:48 PM   #150
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Okay, my wife is a teacher and her school is spending about $200,000 in updating the school's computers. As an incentive, the company is offering an interesting opportunity to obtain free software, including 3D programming software. The IT guy knows I am interested in this type of stuff, but is not knowledgeable about the different pros and cons of the various programs.

I have Blender, but I haven't fiddled with it. At all. Family and kids getting in the way, but I am starting to get some free time at night. Mind you I am a complete novice and will need plenty of manuals or other tutorials to assist. I always built plastic models, not computer generated graphics.

Given my lack of skill (I am relatively quick on the pick up, but need to have manuals/tutorials that teach the ins and outs with pictures - Dummy Guides don't work for me) what do you suggest as an alternative?

The list I have culled from this posting is as follows (I may not be able to obtain all of them, or it might be earlier versions):

Lightwave

Maya

Poser

trueSpace

3ds Max

C4D (Cinema 4D?)

3D Max (is this the same as 3ds Max?)

CAD Autodesk

Shake

Combustion

After Effects

So what do you think? Suggestions? Bueller? Bueller?

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote