Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Closed Thread

Old August 18 2003, 01:16 PM   #1
suzi
Commander

Are there any canon books?

Apart from the movie adaptions are there any books that are considered canon?
Old August 18 2003, 01:20 PM   #2
ecky
Rear Admiral

Re: Are there any canon books?

none, not even the movie adaptations are canon.

parts of 'pathways' and 'mosaic' were canon while jeri taylor looked over VOY, as soon as she walked out of the door that was changed though.

i live in hope that one day paramount will authorise a 'canonical' line of books since the movie part of the franchise appears to be dead in the water atm.
Old August 18 2003, 01:24 PM   #3
suzi
Commander

Hmm ok thanks. Its a shame.

Why arent the movie adaptions considered canon though?
Old August 18 2003, 01:45 PM   #4
ecky
Rear Admiral

couple of reasons, firstly the novelisations are finished before the movie usually.

GEN is an example where in the hardback you get the original kirk death scene which was changed in the movie due to negative reactions during a test screen. for the hardback to be canon would be to contradict the screen version.

secondly the authors have some latitude to 'pad' out the book since novelization of the actual script wouldn't take up many pages (scripts look big due to double spacing and directions, when condensed into a novel its gets a lot smaller). the TUC novelisation has an attack on a colony carol marcus is on for example to explain kirks bitterness at the klingons being revived.

so thats why novelisations aren't canon
Old August 18 2003, 04:14 PM   #5
23skidoo
Admiral

Posted by suzi:
Why arent the movie adaptions considered canon though?
In addition to the reasons mentioned above, the novelizations also introduce aspects of the characters that, for one reason or another, were rejected by TPTB. For example, Saavik being half-Romulan and being David Marcus' lover.

Not even Gene Roddenberry's TMP novelization counts because certain aspects of it contradict the movie (I haven't read the book in 23 years so I can't remember what).

I think part of it is the feeling that if Paramount canonized SOME books, there would be pressure for them to canonize them all. Doing so would introduce some irreconcilable continuity problems ie. between Diane Duane's Rhiannsu Romulan novels and TNG, Starfleet Year One and ENT, and Enterprise: the First Adventure and TOS (Janice Rand being only 16 years old, ENT being a Constellation class vessel, etc.).

Also, didn't Corona give a Stardate of 0001 or something like that as well?

Cheers!

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
Old August 19 2003, 02:16 AM   #6
James Dixon
Rear Admiral

Oh, Gene! After reading the subject title I just Had to stick my head in here...

Uh, yeah, there's ONE canon book... It's called the Fandom Star Trek Chronology!

Now watch the fur fly...
Old August 19 2003, 02:20 AM   #7
Zyzyx1701D
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE]
Posted by James Dixon:

Now watch the fur fly...
[/quote

<looks around in vain for fur, then quietly steps out>
Old August 19 2003, 02:39 AM   #8
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

While its not officially canon, there are many of us who feel that the DS9 Relaunch may as well be canon. It won't be contradicted in all likelyhood, and the quality is certainly there.
Old August 19 2003, 03:26 AM   #9
AlexR
Rear Admiral

Posted by Lindley:
While its not officially canon, there are many of us who feel that the DS9 Relaunch may as well be canon. It won't be contradicted in all likelyhood, and the quality is certainly there.
Well, to be fair, that could apply to a whole lot of books for pretty much all the series except "Enterprise", 'cause the others are all done, as far as we can tell.

In practice, if you want to include books in your personal concept of what's part of Star Trek, go ahead. I do.

But unless there's a big change in who's running Trek, the studio isn't going to consider the books as including material they have to be beholden to. In some ways, that's why I almost hope they don't bring DS9 back on film, 'cause if they do, it's likely to mess up the Relaunch books, and almost certainly won't be as good.

Best,
Alex
"Because you, too, must know."
Old August 19 2003, 03:32 AM   #10
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

Canon is an internal concept important only to the producers of the new TV episodes. When they write a new script, they ask, "what set of facts does this script need to follow?" Since the Paramount TV producers have nothing to do with the other companies that print derivative books and magazines, they clearly do not include those derivative products in their "canon."

Even the Jeri Taylor novels would later be ignored or contradicted as the TV series went on, so while they may have included some ideas from the show's creator, they were not actually canon in the end.

No series of books will ever be canon, because books are not produced by the producers of the TV series -- it's a whole seperate operation, and the TV producers don't read the books.

At any time, the TV producers are free to introduce facts in the show that contradict ANY book. Because canon is an internal concept for TV production. It has nothing to do with books, or fans for that matter.
Old August 19 2003, 01:32 PM   #11
8-4-7-2
Vice Admiral

Posted by Lindley:
There is the possibility that the Enterprise writers screw up the Andorians

Though I doubt they'll go that deep into their culture. Especially now that the show is more about the Delphic Expanse
Old August 19 2003, 01:56 PM   #12
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I should clarify. The reason I mentioned the DS9 Relaunch above other books, like New Frontier, is that as far as I can tell, every other book set in 2376 (the year of the Relaunch) has either referenced it, or at the least not contradicted it.

Therefore, it seems to have taken on a sort of "canon as far as the books are concerned" status.
Old August 19 2003, 03:50 PM   #13
Blake
Commodore

Gene Roddenberry's excellent Star Trek The Motion Picture novel is canon.
It was written by Star Trek's creator.
Its just as much canon as the George Lucas Star Wars movie novel.The reason why Treks canon is a mess is because there have been different people in charge,GR,Harve Bennet,Berman.If only GR had brought the rights to Star Trek,in the early 70s,the excellent background work wrote into TMP novel eg new Klingon cruisers,new humans,Star FLeet comand policy could have been expanded in the sequel movie or a new tv series.
Old August 19 2003, 04:20 PM   #14
MCabrera
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by Lindley:
I should clarify. The reason I mentioned the DS9 Relaunch above other books, like New Frontier, is that as far as I can tell, every other book set in 2376 (the year of the Relaunch) has either referenced it, or at the least not contradicted it.

Therefore, it seems to have taken on a sort of "canon as far as the books are concerned" status.
Divergent canons...interesting

In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you.

- Mortimer J. Adler
Old August 19 2003, 04:22 PM   #15
ecky
Rear Admiral

^^ no its not. in the trek universe only that shown on screen is canon, if you have an issue with that i suggest you kindly inform paramount as its their rules.
Closed Thread