Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 16 2003, 11:48 PM   #16
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Trek Art FAQ - Rough Draft - Review and Commen

Q: Hey, User So-And-So claims that image is his -- but it was really made by me / somebody else! What do I do about this? Can I call him names?

I was so tempted to say SMS
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2003, 01:55 AM   #17

Re: Trek Art FAQ - Rough Draft - Review and Comment

Posted by Vektor:
Posted by Four Mad Men:
I know tensions are somewhat high right now, and while I appreciate the humorous aspects of that question I think perhaps you might alienate a portion of the intended audience if kept as is. I think perhaps a case could be made that it might also lessen the credibility of said FAQ.
Ehh... maybe, but I'm not too worried about it. There have been enough people guilty of that attitude over the past two or three years that no one in particular should take it personally. And if they do, well, maybe they should.

Seriously, at what point does the rate of reply become sufficient to not qualify as a deliberate insult? Are we going to pick a number and say that everyone must keep posting replies until that minimum has been reached in all active threads, just so everybody can feel respected and good about themselves? Then what happens when somebody really takes off with a popular thread and quadruples the minimum? Doesn't that mean that everybody else is being disrespected? Well, doesn't it?

*Sigh*

You can't control what people like and will respond to. All you can do is share your talents, whatever they may be, and hope somebody out there will appreciate it. If they do, great. If they don't, then you have to decide what's more important to you, creating the art you love or getting recognized, because you can't always have both.
The whole demanding-reply thing irritates me somewhat, because ut tends to work itself out anyway. If the work is good then let it speak for itself.

The WIP thing is key as well. You're dead on with that one at least.

To pose a quick question, something which I was reminded of by some of the above comments; what exactly is the rule on CGI nudity? For instance, say I was designing a Female Starfleet Officer to be accurate from toe to hair and I wished to post WIPs which show her totally nude in order to garner opinions, would this be allowable? Because I've don't think I've ever seen a black and white ruling on this. It's not likely to ever effect me, but I'd still like to know...

Anyway, the FAQ looks good!
Old July 17 2003, 06:40 AM   #18
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I think that would depend on how anatomically correct the rendering is.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2003, 07:55 PM   #19
MrFrans
Lieutenant Commander

Posted by Randomperson:
...snip..
To pose a quick question, something which I was reminded of by some of the above comments; what exactly is the rule on CGI nudity? For instance, say I was designing a Female Starfleet Officer to be accurate from toe to hair and I wished to post WIPs which show her totally nude in order to garner opinions, would this be allowable? Because I've don't think I've ever seen a black and white ruling on this. It's not likely to ever effect me, but I'd still like to know...
Well maybe you could post only a link to the wip, and put a big parental warning above it. That way you will be sure every kid on this board will visit your site.

Btw, I would suggest to also put a list of 3D_Software/Tutorials links in the faq.
MrFrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2003, 12:00 AM   #20
Ziz
Commodore

Or just make up a quick "bikini" skin...something that covers the naughty bits but not the rest. Then people can see the figure's form without it being technically nude.
Old October 1 2003, 12:25 AM   #21
Capt. James B. Quirk
Commodore

Let's make a sticky post about the explicit use of copyrighted material. What is and what is not......consult your lawyers first.

Come on over to www.trekpulse.com check it out!
Capt. James B. Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2003, 06:13 AM   #22
LizardLaugh
Vice Admiral

RE: free image hosting...

http://www.photobucket.com has free image hosting that allows hotlinking with seemingly no catch... for now. I use them for my avatar and have also used them for a few ebay auctions. I am between web hosts at the moment, and this service has been great... and FREE, though they do give perks if you donate.
LizardLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2003, 07:32 PM   #23

Good info!

One thing, however, there still seem to be a lot of the 'dumb' questions that probably need addressing -- just in the interest of saving you time and effort.
Old December 22 2003, 08:22 PM   #24
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Posted by MrFrans:
Posted by Randomperson:
...snip..
Well maybe you could post only a link to the wip, and put a big parental warning above it. That way you will be sure every kid on this board will visit your site.

Btw, I would suggest to also put a list of 3D_Software/Tutorials links in the faq.

Or dont put pancake sized nippels on it
I dont think that having a nude 3D model with the lack of feateurs (I.e. look at a barbie doll) would be bad. On uniform skin color would be accecptable IMHO, but then again Im not a mod.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2003, 08:58 PM   #25
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Right off the top of my head, I don't see a problem with nude character models unless they are... ahem, anatomically correct, in which case they ought to be treated the same as any other artistic rendition of nudity. I would be disinclined to allow anything so explicit here in Trek Art.
Old December 22 2003, 10:14 PM   #26
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Posted by Vektor:
Right off the top of my head, I don't see a problem with nude character models unless they are... ahem, anatomically correct, in which case they ought to be treated the same as any other artistic rendition of nudity. I would be disinclined to allow anything so explicit here in Trek Art.
Ok and now it time to start splitting hairs. Is all artistic nudity banned or only that which is vulgar? From safteys sake Id say the postion of the BBS would be to ban all nudity. Just wonderin is all

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2003, 10:34 PM   #27
Vektor
Rear Admiral

If this was a generic art forum then the answer to that question might be more ambiguous, but this is a forum dedicated primarily to Trek art, the point being that I just don't see any real, justifiable context for outright nudity being posted here.
Old December 23 2003, 12:54 AM   #28
biotech
Vice Admiral

What if its Deanna Troi as she appeared in Menage á Troi?

Thats trek cannon nudity.
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2003, 02:02 AM   #29
Vektor
Rear Admiral

We're not talking about suggestions of nudity, we're talking about actual, explicit nudity. And if I have to explain what that is then it's already a lost cause.
Old January 5 2004, 10:03 PM   #30
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Just tacked on a couple new additions to the list for your review and comment.