RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 469
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Web Sites/Design

Web Sites/Design Talk about your websites here!

Old July 17 2004, 05:11 PM   #136
PointyHairedJedi
Vice Admiral

View PointyHairedJedi's Twitter Profile
Re: Looking for Avatar Help? Check here!

Photoshop has a handy dandy "Save for web" feature which can greatly reduce the size of a picture. One of the few features that I can use.

FiveMinute.net | deviantART
PointyHairedJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2004, 03:45 AM   #137
Teldune Arcania
Rear Admiral

Posted by PointyHairedJedi:
Photoshop has a handy dandy "Save for web" feature which can greatly reduce the size of a picture. One of the few features that I can use.

Unfortunately photoshop is $$$.
Old July 18 2004, 04:49 AM   #138
BlazerBoy
Dangerously Sexy

Send a message via ICQ to BlazerBoy Send a message via AIM to BlazerBoy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlazerBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BlazerBoy

Posted by Dorothy_Zbornak:
Posted by Anna1:
^You have to have 100 posts before it will appear. You can see it in your profile until then.
May I suggest adding this to the FAQ? It's taken me 3 hours and putting my avatar image at about 5 different sites to try and get it to appear in my posts when all along I should've just been waiting patiently to hit 100 posts.

Thanks,

DZ
Sorry about that. I will pass this info along to Lisa and Charles.
Old July 19 2004, 07:41 PM   #139
'Shippy
Commodore

I've recently started making animated gifs in Paint Shop Pro's Animation Shop. It's easy to use, but I find it compresses the images to where it distorts them.

Questions to anyone who makes animated avatars?

What program do you use?
Does it compress and save the images in good quality?
Do you save as a .gif or other format?

If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.
Old July 20 2004, 12:26 AM   #140
PointyHairedJedi
Vice Admiral

View PointyHairedJedi's Twitter Profile

Posted by Teldune Arcania:
Unfortunately photoshop is $$$.
Living in the same house as someone who does a design/graphics/animation university course does have it's advantages.

'Shippy - I use Ulead Gif Animator, which has pretty good options for optimising gifs. You can choose from a bunch of presets, or fine tune it yourself.

FiveMinute.net | deviantART
PointyHairedJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2004, 04:25 PM   #141
'Shippy
Commodore

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried several applications listed in this thread, and found that the Microsoft gif animator listed on p. 3 and 4, is what I needed. I doesn't compress files and dither them horribly like Animation Shop.

It doesn't have all the whistles and bells. But, I can wait and purchase a shareware later if I think I need it.
Old August 8 2004, 12:02 AM   #142
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Questions to anyone who makes animated avatars?

What program do you use?
Does it compress and save the images in good quality?
Do you save as a .gif or other format?
Since I already own Photoshop and its web utility (which makes animations among other things), ImageReady, I use ImageReady. Yes, it compresses images and lets you control what color palatte you use. I believe it's the number of colors that really pushes up the file size, assuming you're keeping it 80x80 - I can get good images from just 25 or 30 colors per frame, I don't need to have the whole 256, but in theory if I had 10 frames that looked very different from one another, I might want 25 different colors per frame, which means the palatte for the whole animation may actually be 250 colors or so - just not 250 in any given frame.

ImageReady also lets you choose different schemes for converting an image for the web, such as "Perceptual," "Selective" or "Adaptive." Even with the definitions from the frikken Photoshop manual, I still don't fully grasp the difference between these schemes. Something to do with how the eye perceives color. I generally just try out all three and see how well I like each result. I usually have a hard time telling any difference at all, but for what it's worth, I generally go with "Perceptual."

And yes, I use .gif for all my animated avatars.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2004, 01:36 AM   #143
'Shippy
Commodore

Thank you for the info. I have Photoshop 7 and Image ready at home. I didn't know I could use it to make animated gifs. I'll look for some tutorials at a few sites. If I find some good ones, I'll post links in this thread.
Old September 28 2004, 04:57 AM   #144
IJD GAF
Rear Admiral

I have a couple of things I've been wondering about:

1) I couldn't get those links to work above for Microsoft GIF animator. Anybody have any that work? This has a couple of subquestions:

- Do you have to register?
- Is it just a trial version?
- If you don't register, will it put a wierd symbol in the corner like so:

2) If Microsoft GIF animator does put a wierd symbol on stuff, could somebody recommend a GIF animator that doesn't, is free, and won't expire?

3) My GIF images are always real grainy. Some on this board look quite nice. How do you get a more polished effect?
Old September 28 2004, 06:04 AM   #145
Technomage
Rear Admiral

Posted by Three:

- Do you have to register?
- Is it just a trial version?
- If you don't register, will it put a wierd symbol in the corner like so:

2) If Microsoft GIF animator does put a wierd symbol on stuff, could somebody recommend a GIF animator that doesn't, is free, and won't expire?

3) My GIF images are always real grainy. Some on this board look quite nice. How do you get a more polished effect?
This link should work ok. And these tutorial links, here and here also should work.

As to your questions:

1) No, to all.
2) See answer 1.
3) Hard to say, as you may be doing things differently than everyone else. Try converting .jpg images to .gif before resizing them, if you're using .jpg's for your animation, that is. Also, try a different form of 8-bit conversion when converting .jpg's to .gif format, as you can get better looking results by using one method over another.
Old September 28 2004, 01:39 PM   #146
cubbie
Vice Admiral

I've never converted my .jpg pictures to .gif before I animate. (see my avatar). Free programs such as Microsoft gif animator just don't have enough options to optimize the gif animation like other programs do.

cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2004, 06:21 PM   #147
BlazerBoy
Dangerously Sexy

Send a message via ICQ to BlazerBoy Send a message via AIM to BlazerBoy Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlazerBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BlazerBoy

A lot of the links in this thread need fixing, but it would take me a week to get them all fixed, so I plan on sitting down this weekend and going through the whole thread to do so.
Old October 6 2004, 09:26 PM   #148
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

*Disclaimer: I am a total and utter moron when it comes to computers. Be warned.*

So i found this great pic of Garak, my namesake, after scouring the web. My old avatar got shut down, i got a message from the AutoAdmin telling me. A kind soul really helped me out with that avatar, and i am now looking for another kind soul to take pity on my uselessness.

The pic is here:
http://scifi.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...7%2Findex.html

Click on "enter" and then "images" and it's the 4th one down on the right hand side, where Garak has the Jem'Hadar eyepiece on. Pretty sharp, eh? So i right clicked on it and did "save target" (thanks to Unicron for that) and now it doesnt come up at all when i click on my desktop, just get a new page with a red x. Am i saving it to the wrong place? What do i do now? Help this poor soul, please!
Old October 6 2004, 10:53 PM   #149
Technomage
Rear Admiral

Try right-clicking on the image, then 'Save picture as'.

That's what I did, and it saved it just fine.
Old October 6 2004, 11:33 PM   #150
Technomage
Rear Admiral

Oh, by the way, I saved it to my 'My Pictures' folder, which is the one that I store most of my images in. (I have others associated with various imaging software on my computer, but that one is the one I use most)