New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 14 2003, 09:54 AM   #31
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

Re: Trek Tech FAQ

Posted by Fire:
Dunno if its been said cos ive not got time to read through the thread. How about typing out an FAQ and next it put links to all previous discussions on that question. Its long and tedious task but in the end it helps.
In a way, I think this might represent a fundamental alteration of the manner in which the BBS functions. It could create neverending threads on the same old topics instead of new, shorter ones every now and then. I might prefer the latter; the rate at which new posters join up isn't all that great, so it might be easier to just point them at a recent thread when they bring something up.

However, if you volunteered to prepare this yourself, I'd sure be impressed
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2003, 05:01 PM   #32
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

*bump* - FAQ wasn't visible for most of us, I guess...
Old November 19 2003, 05:37 PM   #33
AlexR
Rear Admiral

Beat me to it.
"Because you, too, must know."
AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2003, 06:33 PM   #34
Veridian
Lieutenant Commander

View Veridian's Twitter Profile

the nacelle issue is one that has conce
Old November 24 2003, 08:34 PM   #35
AlexR
Rear Admiral

Posted by Veridian:
the nacelle issue is one that has conce
Not sure I'm following...

Want to try again?

Best,
Alex
Old December 16 2003, 07:38 PM   #36
AlexR
Rear Admiral

Activity Bump
Old December 19 2003, 07:35 AM   #37
JT_Kruel
Fleet Captain

Posted by 8-4-7-2:
For the nacelle thing:

Wasn't that rule changed to an even number of warp coils? So you have two coils per nacelle. With three nacelles that mkes six coils

I think I read that somewhere
There is an article on EAS where you may have read that at. The article is " Starship Design Guidelines" and as I said, it's on the EAS (Ex Astris Scientia) site. What you are referring to is under "Roddenberry's Design Rules".

The author of the article also gives a link to where he got his information.

I'm not sure if it's 'official', but I think it's as official as anyone will probably get. At least it gives good detail on the subject.
Old January 18 2004, 04:18 PM   #38

I have always regarded star trek history listed in star trek role playing books to be true, not the role playing games published recently.
Old April 15 2004, 07:18 PM   #39
Tuvix
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Tech FAQ *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by AlexR
Old April 15 2004, 09:49 PM   #40

Ok I have a question. Why do threads here in the Trek Tech area die after 2 days or something? Do people lose interest that quickly? It seems like on majority of the threads here, people post the first day and then once it drops below the area highlighted in blue ("new posts" it gets ignored...And the only way to fix this is to bump the thread.

The thing I like most about the Trek Tech forum is hearing people's theories and sharing what they know. Thats the whole point of this forum, right? Why is it that there is always AT LEAST 4 or 5 people viewing a thread at one time, yet no one posts? Why read the thread if you don't care to share your opinion? I can understand a thread not being seen if it was on page 2 or 3, but threads i'm talking about are right up at the top. I can also understand if someone is asking for an answer and people may not know the answer...but a lot of threads here are opinion or idea threads about neat subjects. I'd think real trekkies would LOVE to share their ideas about just about anything. I do, anyway.

I admit I don't post at every thread I read, but I try to share my opinion or idea whenever I have one. I also don't just read the posts up at the top highlighted in blue when other people post.

My point is I don't understand why so many threads get so many views yet so little posts.

Edit: Note there are 5 threads in plane view that have been last responded to by me...most of which a day or two ago
Old April 15 2004, 10:26 PM   #41
Tigger
Fleet Captain

I generally don't type to see myself type, so if I don't have something constructive or beneficial to add to the discussion, I don't.
Old November 22 2004, 03:37 AM   #42
TFVanguard
Commodore

First I ever heard that. Everything I ever heard supports GR making the rule after the TM. It's not a "conspiracy theory", it's a sober account of the reason the rule came to be. Not that I ever saw any reason to respect such a rule...
I just looked this up for the project I'm working on, and everything, including Jefferie's account, that I found about this dated the four rules to The Motion Picture, well after the Tech Manual was made.

Considering that two of these rules were broken by the Original Series itself (SS Aurora), and then very quickly broken in The Next Generation, I would say that they have little to no bearing on anyone involved - official or not - in the design of starships for the Trek franchise.
TFVanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2004, 04:12 PM   #43
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Personally I've always believed that were all aspects of trek left up to Gene Roddenberry it would have been awful. Secondly, as harsh as this may seem, I think one of the best things that happened to latter day trek (tng onwards) was the death of Gene Roddenberry. Thirdly, why the hell should starship designs be neutered and hindered by a stupid rule, that was fleetingly made up by afforementioned Gene Roddenberry?
Old December 7 2004, 08:06 PM   #44
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Regarding the above, upon re-reading that It sounds really horrible, I do apologise. What I meant was that I think TNG era trek did very well out of Gene's departure from the creative side, however that departure came about. I didn't mean to offend anybody.
Old December 8 2004, 06:37 PM   #45
ahkyahnan
Captain

Posted by AlexR:
^^^ Yup, somethin' like that. Anything that there's a fairly straightforward answer for, that seems to come up over and over and slows down discussions of other topics because we need to keep redefining the terms, etc. etc.

Then we can just say, "Check the FAQ" and move onward.

Best,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Just a general question. Over time since this thread was created, I've noticed there seems to be a greater volume of general discussion of topics here, as opposed to a growing list of answers to FAQ's as you describe above.

If this were to be used as a thread to truely find a quick answer or definition, you'd have to scroll through a good bit of general discussions, opinions, replies, etc. to find them.

I'm just wondering if maybe those types of posts should be in other threads, reserving this one for true FAQ answers, some of which might arise from discussions in other threads, but not include the back & forth discussions & opinions themselves.

Or maybe not, I just wasn't sure what you originally intended. If it was just supposed to be a FAQ though, then maybe it should be moderated where any general statement/opinion/question itself is put into a new separate thread for further discussion, and then if any "fairly straightforward answer" comes from that discussion it could then be added to the FAQ thread. Like maybe my post right here for example.

Reason I mention it is because I always check here when there's a new post, but have noticed that it's rarely a new FAQ answer. Just wanted to hear your take on it. Thanks!