IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 20 2001, 02:00 PM   #1

Re: Beltran Grateful For Galaxy Ball Support

A very good article. I recommend it to all Beltran - bashers everywhere.

Old November 20 2001, 03:06 PM   #2

WHOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!

US$50,000.00!!!!!

Take a bow all you Trek guys n gals, actors and fans!

Smooches to everyone who went out of their way for these worthy causes

Lyn

Old November 20 2001, 03:14 PM   #3

Beltran runs his mouth so much, and can be such a jerk at times, so it's nice to get this annual opportunity to see this side of him, too. Good for him! And everyone else who participate, organized and attended.

Old November 20 2001, 05:26 PM   #4

^^One person's jerk is another person's hero, it's all subjective. I like the guy and am especially impressed with what he's said in the past about Trek writing. Who knows, we might even owe him for some of the refreshing things/changes with Enterprise. He went public and said what we've all been saying for years now. The difference being he had the fame to say it loudly enough that it couldn't be ignored by tptb, so they had to do something constructive and new. They couldn't pretend not to hear *him*. All power (and my thanks) to him. As to him and Mulgrew sniping at each other, I can't comment because I've never been present and until I hear what they say and 'see' the way they say it for myself I'm gong to take it all with a lrge pinch of salt. Seems to me if you like one and hate the other you're pre-disposed to hear what you want to hear when it comes arund 2nd or 3rd hand.

Old November 20 2001, 06:06 PM   #5

Beltran, how many times do I have to tell you that there's NO Sour Cream in the Big Beef Chalupa?!? C'mon, focus, goddamit!!!

Old November 20 2001, 11:13 PM   #6
Denara Pel
Captain

I think it is a good article. Robert Beltran has been hosting the Galaxy ball for several years and should be commended for his community involvement. It is also great some of his castmates were on hand as well as other Trek celebrities.

I do know several years ago, after her departure from Voyager, Jennifer Lien attended the Galaxy Ball. I was wondering though, whether Jennifer Lien still attends or is even asked.
Old November 21 2001, 01:39 AM   #7
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Beltran Grateful For Galaxy Ball Support

For the last four years Robert Beltran has organised his Galaxy Ball to help those with Down Syndrome, and the actor says he's been extremely thankful for all the support from generous Trek fans.

"The Star Trek franchise strikes a chord with a lot of people all over the world," Beltran told USA Today. "Many of them are generous, responsible people. I am very grateful to the people who take part in the Galaxy Ball. They use their interest and love of Star Trek to help people with Down."

The actor initially feared that this year's event wouldn't attract as many special guests. "Since we finished Voyager, we opened the Ball for celebrities to raise money for different charities. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get as many of my fellow cast members to be a part of it because there's no telling where they would be."

However, with Trek celebrities such as Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), Brent Spiner (Data) and Rene Auberjonois (Odo) participating in addition to the usual Voyager castmembers, that wasn't going to be a problem.

"I think this is an extraordinary opportunity to give back to the community," said Auberjonois, who supports the charity Medecins Sans Frontieres. "When I started doing Star Trek, I realized that rather than going to conventions and selling pictures of myself for myself, it is an ideal way to raise money for a charity."

Beltran, whose younger brother has Down Syndrome, was pleased to be able to use his Trek connections to help others with the condition. "Through the Galaxy Ball I have met many kids and adults with Down Syndrome," he said. "Many of them are capable of living productive lives. I would like to give people who have children with Down Syndrome, hope and faith that their children can grow up to be wonderful, valuable citizens in our country."

This year's Galaxy Ball raised a total of $50,000, half of which will go to the Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles. Other charities earmarked for funds include the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and Medecins Sans Frontieres.

The original article can be found here at USA Today.

Old November 21 2001, 12:17 PM   #8
edjm
Commodore

It's a good article that focuses on the positive. It also highlights the fact that, although Robert Beltran may not have been totally happy with his years in Trek, he realises that it put in a position where he could actually help those in need and he did.

------------------
To Err is Human but it Feels Divine (Mae West)
Old November 21 2001, 08:55 PM   #9

Originally posted by Taco Bell Shift Manager:
Some Nebulous shit that screams jealous insecurity
Hey, Taco Belle. You know what? He's rich, he's famous, he's handsome and on top of all that he's got a place in TV and Trek history. What you got? Crumbs in your navel from eating and sleeping in front of your computer, zits and scurvey from a lack of good sex and fresh air, that's what.

If Beltran wanted to turn up at Taco-Bell for a job tomorrow he could do so in the sure knowledge the he's done it all - beautiful redheads, beautiful blondes, fame, fortune and fun.

Let it go, sucker (or is that licker?)

Old November 22 2001, 01:14 AM   #10

And he got the idea at a UK Convention!!

We are good for somethings after all!