J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on VOY

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SPCTRE, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Jeri Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on the “Star Trek: Voyager” Sets

2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: J. Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on

Wow, pretty damning. Boo hiss to Mulgrew for being so petty, at least Jeri Ryan handled it with a bit of class.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't like Mulgrew from the start. I just couldn't take to her, and it didn't change as the show progressed.

I didn't know any of this stuff at the time, but it would have made it even harder to watch the show.

4. Grathon Tolar

Grathon Tolar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The podcast actually came out last year. It casts a number of things in a different light, I think. For example, the whole Ryan/Braga romance--often the source of outrage and scurrilous innuendo--becomes much more understandable and believable when viewed as a coping mechanism to a toxic workplace by a desperate actress rather than a sinister attempt by an ingenue to steal air time.

Of course, there's more than one interpretation of events, but none are particularly mutually exclusive.

5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Mulgrew had good cause to be pissed off, but not at Jeri Ryan, at the writers/producers who created Seven of Nine.

6. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here we go again...keeping the feud alive. :)

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Too bad we never got to see the scene involving Seven remembering laughter. That sounds interesting.

8. Grathon Tolar

Grathon Tolar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I find it interesting how Braga fucked over RDM on Voyager,-from my understanding a much more egregious offense than that of Jeri and/or Kate--yet it was more or less water under the bridge within a couple of years. Meanwhile, Jeri and Kate have been engaged in a Cold War since the Clinton administration.

Chalk it up to the female temperament, I suppose, along with the standard insecurity of the actor class.

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It would appear the 'feud' was initiated by one individual - unprofessional to say the least - jealous, most likely. I've heard tell that it is a reoccurring theme in the entertainment industry.

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

:wtf:

How about just chalking it up to one actor being jealous of another and being too immature to keep things professional?

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose Takei and Shatner are all about female temperament as well :rolleyes:

12. teacake

OR maybe they just liked each other?

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That's a shame, too. I love Kate, but if she did that, then I do lose some respect for her. That's just so petty and beneath someone as strong, and talented, as herself.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah exactly. Jeri's situation here is not unique, as Aisha Tyler says in the interview itself, and as you yourself said Grathon, actors are by nature an insecure breed, and this kind of thing happens in workplaces all the time. It's certainly got nothing to do with "female temperament". :shifty:

It was just a clash of personalities. That's it, the bottom line. I don't know where I read it, but I do seem to recall that Kate has been subsequently publically honest and contrite about her part in all of this. I don't think she's hiding what happened, nor that she feels bad about it.

Whether that means she's ever personally apologized and buried the hatchet with Jeri herself is another thing, of course...

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:lol:

A friend of mine is the Post-Production Supervisor on Orange Is The New Black and says Mulgrew is a delight to work with.

Obviously, none of us were on Voyager nor there to witness events as Jeri presents them on this podcast, so I think it's worth remembering that there are always two sides to a story.

Knowing what i know about actors in TV and their temperament, I can see why Jeri might have interpreted things the way she has, but I don't know that I believe, given my friend's experience with Mulgrew, that it's the only way things could have gone down. I guess we'll never know. :shrug:

That said, she seems to have a very warm recollection of her time on Boston Public and Leverage but also shared that she didn't really care for her time on Shark. Perhaps this is all partly due to going from one show that was really difficult behind the scenes to one that was actually really well run and easily done behind the scenes. Having worked on both kinds of shows, I sure as hell know which I prefer.

16. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A coworker dating the boss is never a good situation, that's what I learned from Riker being pissed off in "Lessons" :D

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kate's reaction was childish, but that's only because she attacked Jeri like a child.

Was her plan to make Jeri feel uncomfortable or to make Jeri quit so that Jennifer would come back?

Obviously she was acting out and without a coherent plan to meet her objectives, otherwise a bucket would have been filled up with sheep blood'n'guts and used.

Here's something to consider.

Maybe it wasn't Kate?

Someone made Genevieve run, and Kate wasn't there to do that.

There was already a scary threatening presence on set.

Who really might have been the secret bully?

(Or did Kate sneak onto the Voyager set and Scooby Doo Bujold that the Voyager set was really, really haunted, until she had stolen the woman's job.)

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Meh. There's two sides to any story. I'm sure Mulgrew was a turd to Ryan, but I bet she wasn't consciously as much of a turd as Ryan thinks she was.

She wouldn't let them do Ryan's make-up touch-up* and she wasn't "on" for when Ryan did her side of the scene. Whoop-de-doo.

*Assuming it happened the way she described it, that is. You think if the touch-up was really needed they'd let one of the actors dictate whether it gets done or not?

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ryan and Mulgrew were probably being paid around 40 grand per episode.

I have no sympathy.

20. teacake

Sometimes I'm not allowed to do my makeup because some other intentionally unpleasant person is taking too long in there and I have to run out the door to the train.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.