Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 27 2014, 05:03 AM   #16
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: To Be Takei

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
I know some want George Takei to just give it a rest, so let me put it to our humble community here. Should I watch this documentary on the man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkA3RvwcWw
I don't have an opinion on the documentary one way or the other because I don't know anything about it. If if it sounds interesting to you or if you think you might learn something by watching, then go ahead. If not, then you don't have to.

I know recently Takei got into a little controversy (again) when he re-tweeted a photograph of a woman struggling out of a wheelchair to fetch a bottle of liquor. He later apologized.

Click on the link to see the pic.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._disabled.html
Not sure why you bring this up in a thread ostensibly asking whether or not you should watch a documentary about George Takei. George posted it, George got called on it, George eventually apologized, but in this thread it's pretty much a non sequitur, no?

What say you, BBSers?
About which - the documentary or the meme kerfuffle?
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 05:05 AM   #17
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Apparently George is in Time Magazine right now. There's an article about him on their website, but currently only available to subscribers.
Old August 27 2014, 06:09 AM   #18
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
With all the "Star Trek Memories" books, goofy commercials, talk-show appearances, videos, etc. that Shatner's done over the last several decades, it's Takei you're denigrating as an attention-seeker?
Shatner was/is in demand--he (unlike Takei) has an audience crossing several generations. There would be no T.J. Hooker, Priceline, Boston Legal or the other innumerable TV spots, guest starring roles, etc., if the demand did not exist.

On the other hand, Takei begs for an audience, and will perform any manner of butthole stunts / personal attacks to get attention.
So what if Shatner did some TV series? I watched T.J. Hooker and Boston Legal. You seem to be saying that Shatner is entitled to be attention-seeking, but Takei isn't.

I've read Takei's autobiography and found it interesting. I'm curious about this documentary and will watch it if it becomes available in a format I can access.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 12:42 PM   #19
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

With all the "Star Trek Memories" books, goofy commercials, talk-show appearances, videos, etc. that Shatner's done over the last several decades, it's Takei you're denigrating as an attention-seeker?
I'm not saying Shatner isn't an attention-seeker. I'm saying that it's just as bad if Takei does it.

As I said, I like Takei, and I support what he's trying to do. It doesn't make it any less 'grasping for attention,' even if it is a secondary goal.
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 01:47 PM   #20
foxhot
Fleet Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Shatner was/is in demand--he (unlike Takei) has an audience crossing several generations. There would be no T.J. Hooker, Priceline---
No Priceline? Oh, GOD. Having no HOOKER's a mixed blessing. Best part of that prospect is: no HOOKER, no horrifying Adrian Zmed ''dancing'' scene in the pilot.
Old August 27 2014, 05:01 PM   #21
Green Shirt
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
The most important moments in George's life are living in an American concentration camp, being on Star Trek, and getting married.
So he had something bad happen to him, had a job and got married. Sounds like something we've all experienced. I guess some people's lives are more interesting than most.

That's what kills me about the so called rich and famous. They constantly have to remind us that they are still around by doing publicity attracting things like posting photos of them cleaning their toilets and thinking we all give a crap. Sadly, much of the world does give a crap.
Old August 27 2014, 05:22 PM   #22
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
The most important moments in George's life are living in an American concentration camp, being on Star Trek, and getting married.
So he had something bad happen to him, had a job and got married. Sounds like something we've all experienced. I guess some people's lives are more interesting than most.

That's what kills me about the so called rich and famous. They constantly have to remind us that they are still around by doing publicity attracting things like posting photos of them cleaning their toilets and thinking we all give a crap. Sadly, much of the world does give a crap.
^^

Wait, are you telling me you aren't 'keeping up with the Kardashians'?

Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 11:40 PM   #23
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

So what if Shatner did some TV series? I watched T.J. Hooker and Boston Legal. You seem to be saying that Shatner is entitled to be attention-seeking, but Takei isn't.
The point you miss in your reply:

...is that you accuse Shatner of being the attention seeker Takei is, but Shatner's decades of high visibility did not come from being a screaming, bitter clown. He was in demand due to business and public interest. He could not force producers to hire him, or ad agencies and their clients to seek Shatner to represent their products. That is the difference. What you see as attention seeking was and remains external interests in a man who enjoys working.

...and he did not have to trash Takei to earn interest / success.
Old August 28 2014, 12:31 AM   #24
Timewalker

"Screaming, bitter clown."

What a repugnant way to speak of someone who you feel is not entitled to air his own point of view.

Old August 28 2014, 04:48 AM   #25
mos6507
Captain

The sad part is that he's the only guy buying into that fantasy.
There's no denying that he's the most popular celebrity on Facebook, if not the entire internet. So you can lump him in with the Kardashians if you want to shrug off his status as empty, but as far as "getting attention" goes, he's managed to accomplish his wildest dreams, and has bested the OTHER Trek actor who loves constant attention (Shatner).
Old August 28 2014, 04:51 AM   #26
EnriqueH
Commander

What a repugnant way to speak of someone who you feel is not entitled to air his own point of view.
Yeah.

Actually, I need clarification: exactly WHO is the bitter clown here?

Old August 28 2014, 04:58 AM   #27
mos6507
Captain

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
I think the general gist of your argument is that Takei hasn't somehow paid his dues to justify him being famous. That may be true as far as his acting credentials compared to Shatner who has actually won awards for his acting despite his checkered history. But what you fail to realize is that Takei has one skill that is in high demand these days. He's funny. And he knows how to wield his funny bone where everyone seems to be hanging out--Facebook. Being funny is a talent, and too often an unappreciated one.

I think it's about time we appreciate the value of being funny, BTW, having just lost Robin Williams to suicide. While George's career may not have been as a comedian, his funny-bone is why he's popular today.
Old August 28 2014, 07:36 AM   #28
Timewalker

EnriqueH wrote: View Post

Yeah.

Actually, I need clarification: exactly WHO is the bitter clown here?

I take the post to mean Takei is supposedly a screaming, bitter clown, but aside from having expressed resentment, I can't see how that description fits Takei at all.

Old August 28 2014, 08:17 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Takei makes me laugh most days. That's why I'm one of his 7 and a half MILLION facebook followers. People aren't idiots, they don't pay attention to someone being an attention whore if they aren't getting something out of it

Good on him, why shouldn't he build up a fanbase and use it to promote issues important to him.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 12:19 PM   #30
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

"Repugnant?"

You are bit too defensive over someone who spent decades attacking another human being. Now that is repugnant.