Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 26 2014, 04:19 AM   #31
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: The Cloud Minders: So Much Weird!

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
EnriqueH wrote: View Post
I was just reviewing this thread and had an EPIC oversight...

Vanna.

She was HOT.

Don't get me wrong, Droxine was very attractive, but Vanna is more my type.
You mean, you're looking for a woman who will betray your trust, and make you dig in a mine with your bare hands?

For what it's worth, this was the very first episode I ever saw. And this, the very first scene my young orbs beheld back in'72 or so (albeit in black and white)...

Little did I know at that moment how life had just changed.

It's hard to hate a memory like that.
My first episode too, also in the early 1970s, except that I tuned in when Vanna was getting tortured by the rays. I was so captivated that I watched it through to the end. Kirk sealing the entrance with his phaser was also one of the stand-out moments. As my first episode, it will always hold a special place.

Kirk's line, "The only way you'll use that device again is on one of us," remains my favorite of the episode. It's a great line, with perfect delivery. It succinctly defines Kirk's values and establishes him as a hero of the Federation.
Old August 26 2014, 05:27 AM   #32
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I just remember my 1979 or 1980 Sunday line up:

Solid Gold, Dance Fever, Star Trek, Sha-Na-Na, and the most HATED show of all time. The show that signifies the end of the weekend: 60 Minutes.
Oh, man, was that ever the truth!

I can well remember so many Sundays, playing outside, and hearing that stopwatch clock through the open windows. It's like it symbolized the winding-down of the weekend, and that school was coming around again. It was a sober splash of cold water on the moment.

Wow, I haven't thought of that in years!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:31 AM   #33
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Kirk's line, "The only way you'll use that device again is on one of us," remains my favorite of the episode. It's a great line, with perfect delivery. It succinctly defines Kirk's values and establishes him as a hero of the Federation.
There's a lot to be said for that. One of Kirk's great qualities was his tendency to champion the downtrodden, often at the risk of his life. It didn't have to be a threat to the entire galaxy to get his attention, literally anyone in a jam was enough. It's really hard not to admire that.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 07:21 AM   #34
Elvira
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
You mean, you're looking for a woman who will betray your trust, and make you dig in a mine with your bare hands?
Yep, Vanna's a bad girl, and men love bad girls.
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:38 AM   #35
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

All in all the episode was far from being bad.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 02:50 AM   #36
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
except that I tuned in when Vanna was getting tortured by the rays.
Nobody remembers to clap when they say that....
Old August 27 2014, 03:01 AM   #37
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

and the most HATED show of all time. The show that signifies the end of the weekend: 60 Minutes.
YES! ticktickticktick

And as a kid it was boring.
Old August 27 2014, 08:24 AM   #38
Captain Rob
Commodore

Don't forget the Sunday Night Mystery Movie on NBC. Which was actually a rotation of "McCloud", "Columbo", "MacMillan and Wife", and "Ellery Queen".
AT 7:00 was the "Wonderful World of Disney" IN COLOR. And that stupid multicolored NBC peacock.
Old August 27 2014, 10:17 AM   #39
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Don't forget the Sunday Night Mystery Movie on NBC. Which was actually a rotation of "McCloud", "Columbo", "MacMillan and Wife", and "Ellery Queen".
AT 7:00 was the "Wonderful World of Disney" IN COLOR. And that stupid multicolored NBC peacock.
"Columbo" was good, at least until they hit the hundredth episode mark. Then it became a sort of cliché of itself, boring even.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 11:15 AM   #40
Green Shirt
Commodore

I was just reviewing this thread and had an EPIC oversight...

Vanna.

She was HOT.

Don't get me wrong, Droxine was very attractive, but Vanna is more my type.
When I was a kid, I thought Vanna was Majel Barrett in a head scarf. Really.
Old August 27 2014, 12:32 PM   #41
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

As A kid in bed I heard that NBC movie theme from the living room a million times. I am hearing it now in my head. Thanks.
Old August 27 2014, 01:08 PM   #42
Forbin
Admiral

I loved that peacock.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 01:48 PM   #43
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I always like this ep; it's plenty fun, and it has a city in the clouds. Not many of those on TV when I was in high school in SoCal then. I'm always impressed when the troglodyte dives off the side. I like when my hero makes the two adversaries equals: "DIG!" It has an atmosphere about it that somehow reminds me of "Spectre of the Gun." This ep has a lot.
Old August 27 2014, 04:51 PM   #44
drt
Commander

As a kid, I loved the first three, but I have zero recollection of "Ellery Queen".

Also, wasn't Disney on ABC?

I remember that they started showing "Space 1999" where I lived at 6pm on Sundays, so no hated stopwatch show for a little while.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 05:52 PM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

1) Spock talking about pon farr seemed out of character to me (one of only 2 times that I noticed that the character wasn't living up to his established history; the other was his attitude in "That Which Survives".
I have my own pet theory/rationalization about Spock's behavior in this ep. If you look at the order in which the episodes originally aired, "Cloud Minders" comes directly after "Requiem for Methuselah" and "The Way to Eden," both episodes in which Spock's aloof, reserved attitude is challenged to some degree. "Requiem" ends with McCoy giving Spock a hard time about his inability to understand love. And in "Eden" Spock seems distinctly intrigued by the space hippies and their groovy, less straight-laced ways.

Maybe Spock was having second thoughts about completely repressing his emotions by the time they got to Stratos and was perhaps making an effort to loosen up a bit more, which made him more receptive to Droxine's advances than he might ordinarily be . . . even if this was just a temporary phase.

Mind you, I don't believe for a moment that this was intentional; TOS didn't do multi-episode character arcs. But the timing is a happy accident. I like to think that Spock took McCoy's admonishment in "Requiem" to heart and was, however briefly, more open with Droxine as a result.