The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 24 2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: The Last Airbender - Not Shyamalan's Fault

Writing and casting for reasons other than the best interests of the movie are nothing new. We hear about studio interference all the time.

I also don't like it when the writers get ripped for the quality of a big studio tentpole movie. When that much money is at stake, they're basically writers for hire who do what they're told.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:33 PM   #17
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Haven't seen the movie or the show, but from what I've read, isn't the core problem that they tried to cram too much story into one flick? The Golden Compass movie had a similar problem - there were all sorts of poor choices made, some the director's fault and some the studios', but even with otherwise first-rate direction, trying to cram the whole book (minus the last few chapters, another wtf) into 100 minutes doomed it to mediocrity.
It's "a" problem, though I wouldn't say it was the "core" problem. No matter what you think of the script, the direction has all of MNS's very worst hallmarks and no amount or rewriting can fix *that*. Leving aside the questionable casting, the choppy editing and the *massive* liberties taken with the source material, the whole thing was just horribly bland. Probably the worst thing is how characters would make massive, nonsensical exposition dumps in a flat monotone. No joke, they actually have the female lead narrate what they're doing rather than show it.

If you're not worried about spoilers for the show, I'd recommend checking out the NC review of the movie to get some perspective on what's wrong with that film. Even if you have no interest in the show, it's still hilarious.

Last edited by Reverend; August 24 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 08:15 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Haven't seen the movie or the show, but from what I've read, isn't the core problem that they tried to cram too much story into one flick?
No, that was hardly the core problem. The first season was fairly episodic for much of its length, so it wouldn't have been that difficult to trim it to just the key events of the arc. The problem was largely with what they chose to emphasize and what they chose to leave out. For instance, in the series, Aang's spiritual visitation from the previous Avatar is a crucial plot point because it reveals new information that defines the ultimate goal of the entire series. But in the movie, the only thing the spiritual visitation did was to tell Aang he had to do the exact thing he was already doing. Which not only was pointless, but meant that Aang never learned the full extent of what was at stake and why the world needed him.

More fundamentally, the dialogue was simply poor, with none of the wit and cleverness of the show; the characterizations were stripped of their richness, with Katara in particular being greatly enfeebled and stripped of everything that made her impressive in the show; and the casting was quite mediocre even aside from the racial issues.
Old August 25 2014, 03:53 AM   #19
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Interesting. Reverend, I've seen that review, thanks, and I do remember several absolutely baffling moments, most of all "is it okay if I ask you your name?", one of the worst lines I've ever heard.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:06 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Honest Trailers - The Last Airbender

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ Interesting. Reverend, I've seen that review, thanks, and I do remember several absolutely baffling moments, most of all "is it okay if I ask you your name?", one of the worst lines I've ever heard.
That whole earth bending rant still makes me laugh...it eases the pain.

It actually wasn't until a saw that review that I realised how bad the dialogue was. Not that I liked the movie when I watched it, it's just that it was so boring that I was barely paying any attention and so unmemorable that 10 minutes after watching it, I couldn't recall an specific scene.

I do recommend that you check out the show and not just to appreciate how poor the movie adaptation was. IMO it's bar none the best animated series (east or west) since 'Batman: TAS'.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote