RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,254
Members: 25,411
Currently online: 533
Newest member: V'alkis

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Deep Breath"
Scottish! 52 33.33%
Good 74 47.44%
Average 17 10.90%
Bad 8 5.13%
I miss Matt Smith 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24 2014, 03:47 PM   #91
ElimGarak.93-99
Commander

Re: 8X01 "Deep Breath" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

I liked the episode and also liked the new intro.

Here are some interesting facts about this episode:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...le-deep-breath
ElimGarak.93-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:36 PM   #92
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I like how people attack Moffat's style as being nonsense when RTD did the same crap and only worse. Drives me nuts.
RTD usually ended his stories in nonsense, but his beginnings and middles tended to be quite good. And his smaller episodes, where he didn't go crazy with giant robots or end of the universe stories, like "Midnight" were fantastic. Although, I don't care much for RTD either. I prefer the classic style.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:54 PM   #93
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

FYI: The intro

and what it was based on

Old August 24 2014, 05:05 PM   #94
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

I don't know why some people are confused as to Clara's reaction to this regeneration. Obviously she has a sense of what a regeneration consists of but it's not unlike when someone you know dies for the first time. Of course most people would have a concept of death and loss prior to losing someone but when it actually happens then it suddenly becomes real. I think that's all this was, her best friend suddenly went away and she was having a difficult time dealing with the loss.
Old August 24 2014, 05:12 PM   #95
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Squiggy wrote: View Post
FYI: The intro

and what it was based on

I think I like the second one more than the first. Don't entirely like the higher pitched tone of the theme.
Old August 24 2014, 05:21 PM   #96
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

I think the original concept flows better because the music is not accelerated so much to what we are used to. if you slow down the official intro it would probably be better.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 05:25 PM   #97
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

The official intro was sped up to get around BBC's copywrite. The aired version is slightly slower.
Old August 24 2014, 05:49 PM   #98
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

DWF wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post

No. RTD did a great job btinging the show back, but he's a horrible sci-fi writer - and he wrote almost all of the bad episodes.
I think he wrote almost all the mediocre episodes rather than the bad ones. Of course, he wrote about half the episodes so that makes sense. Fear Her, Daleks in Manhattan, Evolution of the Daleks, and the Lazarus Experiment are generally put among the worst.
Helen Raynor wrote the Dalek two parter and Stephen Greenhorn wrote The Lazarus Experiment.
Every single one of those episodes I listed was by someone other than RTD. I was responding to the claim that he wrote almost all of the bad episodes.
Old August 24 2014, 05:52 PM   #99
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Enjoyable post-regeneration episode with Peter Capaldi making a great impression as The Twelfth Doctor. I agree with others that the dinosaur part was unnecessary to the overall story, but there were some fun moments from like The Doctor talking dinosaur and "Oh! You have a dinosaur, too!"

I really like the new title sequence but I'll admit it is a bit cartoon-y. The clock face section and Capaldi's face are the best bits. Not sure how I feel about the new music.

The new TARDIS console is wonderful and is probably my favorite of the new series simply because of the bookshelves.

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
* really, really liked the bit about the long scarf looking stupid.
Of course you did.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 05:57 PM   #100
chelly
Commander

I have to say one thing about the names in the new opening, they are much easier to read and don't totally blend into the background. I will miss all the colors but I think the new opening will grow on me.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:04 PM   #101
Anachronus
Commodore

I thought the phone bit at the end felt tacked on. It was not needed, if any non-Timelord would have a grasp on regeneration Clara would be it. Yet the concept is totally incomprehensible to her it seems. Additionally I thought the sound mixing was a bit off, I constantly had to adjust the volume to hear what was being said/prevent from being deafened.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:18 PM   #102
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Cutter John wrote: View Post

* Was anyone else bothered by the scale of the T Rex? Surely they weren't Godzilla sized in real life?
well it did have to be large enough to spit the TARDIS out....

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:19 PM   #103
Timelord Victorious
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post

* Was anyone else bothered by the scale of the T Rex? Surely they weren't Godzilla sized in real life?
well it did have to be large enough to spit the TARDIS out....
The Trip with the TARDIS didnt just displace it in time... it made the rex larger on the inside, too apparently
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:21 PM   #104
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Squiggy wrote: View Post
I liked it, but agree with what most are saying about the new intro. The BBC version looks like a very cheap knock off. Fonts, color, resolution...everything about the one aired tonight looks like a rough pass.

I do wish they'd get over Victorian London. It's almost like its a crutch at this point.
Same here.
Old August 24 2014, 06:30 PM   #105
davejames
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
It sounded to me like a variation on "I Am The Doctor", rather than something new.
Yeah it was clearly going for the same feel as I Am The Doctor, but it still sounded like something very new made just for Capaldi. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it pops up again.

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
I don't know why some people are confused as to Clara's reaction to this regeneration. Obviously she has a sense of what a regeneration consists of but it's not unlike when someone you know dies for the first time. Of course most people would have a concept of death and loss prior to losing someone but when it actually happens then it suddenly becomes real. I think that's all this was, her best friend suddenly went away and she was having a difficult time dealing with the loss.
Not only that, but Smith's Doctor was also one of the most ridiculously fun, goofy, and likeable Doctors there's ever been. It would probably be hard for any companion not to seriously miss him when he died.

And I didn't get the sense that she was suddenly unaware of the concept of regeneration. It felt more like she was simply in denial that this had actually happened to her Doctor.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote