Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 14 2015, 12:19 PM   #1
DaddlerTheDalek
Lieutenant Commander

New major alien civilization in Trek 3/XIII?

Justin Lin wrote:
It’s all new and fresh. The Klingons, Romulans and other species are great, but it’s time to go further. It has been fun to focus on creating whole new worlds and species.”
Does this mean we get a completely new alien race or even a whole new alien civilization in this movie? What do you expect? What would you like to see?
Old June 14 2015, 12:28 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: New major alien civilization in Trek 3/XIII?

Hopefully CG aliens which aren't just humans with bumpy foreheads. Something like the green guys in John Carter would be fine by me.

And of course, a remix of the old "why weren't the Remans/Suliban/Xindi/whatever seen in TOS or TNG before?!?!?" fanrage.
Old June 14 2015, 02:14 PM   #3
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Yeah. Enough with the humans. Give us real aliens....

...which the reboot has had a plenty of. So why not meet some of them?

I am really liking this.
Old June 14 2015, 02:25 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

Of course, movies which focus on a new alien species don't typically do well at the box office. The only such movies, Insurrection and Nemesis are the franchise's low point for box office results.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
And of course, a remix of the old "why weren't the Remans/Suliban/Xindi/whatever seen in TOS or TNG before?!?!?" fanrage.
Well, it is a pretty good point with the Remans, given their backstory as slave labour for the Romulans and they were apparently major players in the Dominion War.

Actually, there are a lot of unanswered questions with the Remans. Enterprise showed us that despite their status as slaves, they apparently can operate independently on Romulus and have the authority to arrest senators and high ranking military officers.
Old June 14 2015, 06:25 PM   #5
Mage
Commodore

I would love a new species and culture, but I can't help wonder if going a familiar name would be easier for people. Klingons and Romulans are names non-fans are also familiar with, and would help with selling it to a wider audiance.

But yes, personally, I would love something new. Especially with modern cg technology, creating alien enviroments could give us something completely new and fresh.
Old June 14 2015, 08:46 PM   #6
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

This is encouraging news, especially right after going with Khan.

Initially, I was hoping for a Klingon-Doomsday Machine angle, but I'm happy to hear they're going back "out there."

The new species will be accepted and well-received if it's done well. If not, it won't.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2015, 08:53 PM   #7
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Hopefully CG aliens which aren't just humans with bumpy foreheads. Something like the green guys in John Carter would be fine by me.

+1

With the available tech and now the budget, give us something cool and different.

No Baku-types.
Old June 14 2015, 10:02 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

A Kelvin, in their natural form?
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2015, 07:15 AM   #9
drt
Captain

I'm thinking the Klingons will be the antagonists in "Beyond", any new race will probably be something like the Organians, Capellans, etc. - folks that our heroes are trying to protect from the Klingons.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2015, 07:21 AM   #10
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
I'm thinking the Klingons will be the antagonists in "Beyond", any new race will probably be something like the Organians, Capellans, etc. - folks that our heroes are trying to protect from the Klingons.
This is just completely wishful thinking, but I'd love if it we had a new species that was large, powerful, monstrous, that could only be done via CGI -- and yet they'd be relatively peaceful, just to subvert the trope of "inhuman = evil." But then they'd be the species that needs protection from the Klingons, since a Klingon killing one of them in battle is seen as a major feat as befits Klingon skill and strength, like a hunter in Africa killing a defenseless elephant. So the Klingons treat killing them off as sport. That's where our heroes come in.
Old June 15 2015, 06:14 PM   #11
Dukhat
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
A Kelvin, in their natural form?
I hope they show 0514 different Kelvins.

(P.S. You meant "Kelvan.")
Old June 16 2015, 02:01 AM   #12
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

I either want:

-a primitive but beautiful species of innocent beings ala Avatar, or....

-a highly developed species with technology that wows Our Heroes.

and their homeworld explored in rich detail.

And a gigantic natural space phenomenon like a supernova or mega-comet would be appreciated.

Make deep space feel strange, dangerous, and vast.
Old June 16 2015, 02:26 AM   #13
SpocksOddSocks
Commander

Or perhaps the Tzenkethi. Whilst they've been mentioned, we still haven't seen them.
Old June 16 2015, 05:18 AM   #14
eyeresist
Fleet Captain

This is an opportunity for some very strange mo-cap aliens. But more important is interesting culture, and even more important than that is interesting new characters. Hopefully we'll get all three.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Actually, there are a lot of unanswered questions with the Remans. Enterprise showed us that despite their status as slaves, they apparently can operate independently on Romulus and have the authority to arrest senators and high ranking military officers.
Wow, I'm an ENT fan and I don't remember that at all. IIRC, there were a couple of Remans in the background during the Andorian arc, but they had no lines and did nothing important.
eyeresist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2015, 05:34 AM   #15
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Agreed that interesting new alien characters is probably the most important thing. To that end, I'd actually like to see less fleshing out or developing of an entire culture with much exposition or great detail that could bog down the story.

I keep thinking of the way TOS viewers were first introduced to the Romulans in "Balance of Terror". A totally new alien race and culture, but the focus was on just a few strong characters, especially Mark Lenard's commander. Aliens done like that would be nice, either as an ally or foe.

Make them compelling, don't overdo them, and remember that in Trek, more often than not the aliens are created to be some sort of reflection of a part of the human condition for our heroes to deal with and maybe learn from.