Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 24 2014, 09:13 PM   #61
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Re: Day of the Dove (unresolved ending)

Maurice wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
...Heck, it might even be something Klingon crews are proud of as it distincts "warriors" from others.
I'm afraid "distincts" isn't an English word. You mean "distinguishes".
Actually distinct (admittedly without the s) is a English word. So, Klingon warriors could deliberately cultivate a distinct scent, which would set them apart from the general population.

Perhaps this odor is the source of that background "mist" we see hanging in the air in Klingon warships?

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:27 AM   #62
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

One thing about this episode that deserves mention is the animation of the *. Most especially noteworthy is the (at least one) corridor-panning shot, with the animation superimposed onto it, giving the impression that the camera is following the *'s movement. Disappearing down that ladder alcove..slipping between the seams in a door...all sorts of shots like that. Often, any animated effects on television back then weren't so nearly convincing, but they made the * really live in the environments it was seem in. Great work!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:19 AM   #63
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Archanis.
Thanks!
Old August 25 2014, 05:04 AM   #64
fireproof78
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I think it would have been cool if the * had returned in another series. Kirk did say something about "maybe you've caused a lot of pain and suffering" or something like that. Imagine if it had shown up on Enterprise. Heck, they wouldn't had to even have known it was there!
Okay, I can't resist mentioning that the * shows up again in a story I wrote for the Tales of the Dominion War anthology. Needless to say, it fed well during that particular conflict . . . .
Sorry for the late to the party post, but I was wondering if the * had showed up in other Trek fiction, like comics and the like. I appreciate the tidbit from the author

Personally, this is among my favorite TOS episodes. I find Kang, and Mara, to be far more fleshed out as characters, and make him one of the more memorable Klingon characters. He has a certain charm, a no nonsense style of leadership that is very direct. All in all, I liked the fact that he had no problem with fighting Kirk, but recognized that the battle meant nothing if all it did was benefit * and not actually be an honorable battle.

Now, reviewing Memory-Beta for info about * and Kang
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 05:44 AM   #65
Push The Button
Captain

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, * also makes an appearance in Greg's The Q-Continuum, which is a great book that I highly recommend.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 08:47 AM   #66
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

We can see that the nature of the Klingons has been an evolving concept since their first appearance on TOS. The first movie determined how they would look like, until then they were little more than dark skinned, black haired, humans with a rustic appearance and a rude demeanor.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:17 AM   #67
fireproof78
Captain

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
We can see that the nature of the Klingons has been an evolving concept since their first appearance on TOS. The first movie determined how they would look like, until then they were little more than dark skinned, black haired, humans with a rustic appearance and a rude demeanor.
This is perhaps the more interesting aspect of this discussion. Kang was not the fleshed out Klingon, part of a race of warriors, as we now know him to be in the universe. Rather, he is a soldier, fighting against the Federation, regardless of the reasons.

It's simplistic storytelling at its finest, but the deeper aspects of Klingon culture give it more flavor, in my opinion.
Old August 26 2014, 08:51 AM   #68
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
This is perhaps the more interesting aspect of this discussion. Kang was not the fleshed out Klingon, part of a race of warriors, as we now know him to be in the universe. Rather, he is a soldier, fighting against the Federation, regardless of the reasons.

It's simplistic storytelling at its finest, but the deeper aspects of Klingon culture give it more flavor, in my opinion.
I wonder, when was the first time that we see Klingons eat live food with their hands? I believe I didn't see it until TNG but I could be mistaken.
I remember that in The Undiscovered Country they have terrible table manners though.
Old August 26 2014, 07:34 PM   #69
fireproof78
Captain

I wonder, when was the first time that we see Klingons eat live food with their hands? I believe I didn't see it until TNG but I could be mistaken.
I remember that in The Undiscovered Country they have terrible table manners though.
I'm not sure, but TNG sounds about right for the time frame. It was probably part of the greater exploration of Klingon culture with Worf.

It is funny, with regards to TUC, that Azebur, Gorkon's daughter, becomes Chancellor, but in TNG a woman is not allowed to be Chancellor.

Another curiosity I have is when did Klingons become so fond of melee weapons? In Day of the Dove, it is from * changing the rules, probably so that it was an even match or not a one trigger pull fight. But, again, looking back, Klingons are supposed to be far more experienced with melee weapons.
Old August 26 2014, 08:05 PM   #70
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

Another curiosity I have is when did Klingons become so fond of melee weapons? In Day of the Dove, it is from * changing the rules, probably so that it was an even match or not a one trigger pull fight. But, again, looking back, Klingons are supposed to be far more experienced with melee weapons.
I still thing that knives, swords and axes are no match for one of those wide range phasers/disruptors that can kill all the people in a room with one shot. In a realistic fight those batl'leth wielding Klingons wouldn't stand a chance.
Old August 26 2014, 08:28 PM   #71
fireproof78
Captain

I still thing that knives, swords and axes are no match for one of those wide range phasers/disruptors that can kill all the people in a room with one shot. In a realistic fight those batl'leth wielding Klingons wouldn't stand a chance.
Agreed. At least the Jaffa from Stargate mad their melee weapon their long range weapon

More to my point is that in DotD the Klingons really should have had the advantage with the swords and things. But it seems pretty even.
Old August 26 2014, 08:44 PM   #72
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Perhaps melee weapons are prefered on Klingon starships so that they don't accidentally blow up the bulkheads with their disruptors.

Kirk did worry about others using his phaser as they might blow up an entire side of a building.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:48 PM   #73
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

Agreed. At least the Jaffa from Stargate mad their melee weapon their long range weapon

More to my point is that in DotD the Klingons really should have had the advantage with the swords and things. But it seems pretty even.
What's funny is that they seemed to go along with the change of weapons.
Old August 26 2014, 08:58 PM   #74
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
...Heck, it might even be something Klingon crews are proud of as it distincts "warriors" from others.
Actually distinct (admittedly without the s) is a English word.
Yes, but it's an adjective, and you can't automatically turn an adjective into a verb by slapping an s on the end, otherwise I could say "the vile comment pungents the air".
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 09:00 PM   #75
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Actually distinct (admittedly without the s) is a English word.
Yes, but it's an adjective, and you can't automatically turn an adjective into a verb by slapping an s on the end, otherwise I could say "the vile comment pungents the air".
Some words just don't make a lot of sense.