Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 18 2014, 05:34 AM   #31
mos6507
Fleet Captain

Re: Day of the Dove (unresolved ending)

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
See was that so hard? Awesome!
Sounds like it was part of the script which was cut for running-time. Does anyone know for sure?
Old August 18 2014, 05:47 AM   #32
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Ooof, I thought Kras looked awful.

Seriously looked like a regular dude.
But he looked like a regular dude who might hang out with Peggy Lipton, so that made him a little cooler.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 07:38 AM   #33
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Kirk has got to spend some time wondering why he never gets assigned to a planet being haunted by one of those energy-beings that feeds on love.
Maybe we could set Kirk up with the energy being who lived in Nana Howard's candle.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 08:11 AM   #34
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Maybe this is what you're looking for. From the James Blish novelization...

...He eyed Mara. A real woman, that one. If she hadn't been Kang's wife ... if there had been time. Ah well, no man could accommodate all opportunities...
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 08:15 AM   #35
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I actually found that quite amusing.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 09:58 AM   #36
Nightowl1701
Captain

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Sounds like it was part of the script which was cut for running-time. Does anyone know for sure?
Blish, I've noticed, was very much a 'stick to the script' kind of novelizer. In the rare occasions when he did add something of his own, it was to clarify character motivation or pave over a plot hole. Except for the (obvious) cases when he was working from an earlier pre-shooting version of the script, my general gut feeling is if it's in his story and not in the episode itself, it's a deleted scene.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 01:33 PM   #37
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
Maybe this is what you're looking for. From the James Blish novelization...

...He eyed Mara. A real woman, that one. If she hadn't been Kang's wife ... if there had been time. Ah well, no man could accommodate all opportunities...
Absolutely awful.
If there'd been time for what? Never mind.

Thank goodness we never saw Kirk's thoughts, ever.
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 02:03 PM   #38
Robert Comsol
Commodore

In my personal canon I consider this stardate-less episode to be the conclusion of TOS because it has an optimistic outlook for Klingon-Federation relations.

After they had driven * out, their first job was to stop the engines from draining the dilithium crystals to the point of no return and no power. There was nothing to gain for the Klingons by taking over a ship not capable to return to their empire.

However, I can't help wondering how many crew members were wounded (or worse) in the final brawl just outside the engine room. With * gone, any injuries had to be treated in a traditional manner.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 02:32 PM   #39
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
to profess their most deep-seated negative feelings and prejudices then amplified by the entity.
Consider Chekov's racist joke about the Klingons in the trouble with tribbles, now amplify the feelings behind that, add in a supposed dead brother, and you get a interrupted rape.

Not to mention Chekov's "guess who's coming to dinner?" in The Undiscovered Country. His racism against Klingons is permanent.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 03:21 PM   #40
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
to profess their most deep-seated negative feelings and prejudices then amplified by the entity.
Consider Chekov's racist joke about the Klingons in the trouble with tribbles, now amplify the feelings behind that, add in a supposed dead brother, and you get a interrupted rape.

Not to mention Chekov's "guess who's coming to dinner?" in The Undiscovered Country. His racism against Klingons is permanent.
As is our general underlying us-better-than-them heirarchical thinking tendency witnessed in Iraq, Syria, and Ukraine lately. Former neighbors who for whatever reason lived in relative peace revert to tribalism and barbarity. Maybe the fragility of our veneer of cooperation and peace is THE big theme of Star Trek. (That and "Get my ship out of danger"!)
Old August 18 2014, 07:56 PM   #41
Marsden
Fleet Captain

Maybe it was due to the alien's influence but I found Kang remarkably dishonorable. He is taken prisoner, after threatening Kirk and his men with torture and death, has his wife and surviving crew rescued and quartered by Kirk...and yet he immediately sets out to wrest the ship from him and "put Kirk's stuffed head on a wall."
You mean, he acted like a Klingon.

I often wondered if the Beratis, Kesla, Redjack, Piglet, whatever alien and * were similar or even the same. One possessed a body and lived on fear, the other seemed to be quite a bit more dangerous and lived on hate. Maybe it was an exiled Orgainian that liked pissing things off, the opposite of the rest of them being disturbed by strong emotion. Maybe
Trelane without a body, he could change things. I'm just thinking about the nature of * I don't really think it was one of those others, but it has some aspects of the others, too.
Old August 18 2014, 11:03 PM   #42
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I think it would have been cool if the * had returned in another series. Kirk did say something about "maybe you've caused a lot of pain and suffering" or something like that. Imagine if it had shown up on Enterprise. Heck, they wouldn't had to even have known it was there!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 11:08 PM   #43
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
In my personal canon I consider this stardate-less episode to be the conclusion of TOS because it has an optimistic outlook for Klingon-Federation relations.
The only mention of Stardate in the episode is a Captain's Log dated "Stardate: Armageddon," which is fitting for a series finale. It also has thematic parallels with TUC, the TOS film series finale. Finally, it ends with Shatner and Kelley looking straight into the camera and saying, as if to the viewer, "You're done here, we won't perform for your entertainment anymore."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 11:25 PM   #44
Melakon
Admiral

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
In defense of Bob the Discount Klingon, at least he had some personality. The one in "A Private Little War" is completely forgettable, he may as well have had a personal cloaking device. I won't even count Generic Klingon on Viewscreen from "Elaan of Troyius", his role was so tiny.
Comparing Kras with Krel or the one in Elaan of Troyius is almost like comparing Lieutenant Kyle and Lieutenant Hadley. Kras had a full episode and the two others had two minutes on screen.
And Tige Andrews, as Kras, had a good time on the show. It was his first film work where he got to wear a real costume instead of regular clothes. I'd guess the outdoor work was fun too, just getting away from the studio.

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
"This is fantasy!" - Nyota Uhura
"This is no fantasy!" - Jor-El
Old August 19 2014, 12:03 AM   #45
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Blish, I've noticed, was very much a 'stick to the script' kind of novelizer. In the rare occasions when he did add something of his own, it was to clarify character motivation or pave over a plot hole. Except for the (obvious) cases when he was working from an earlier pre-shooting version of the script, my general gut feeling is if it's in his story and not in the episode itself, it's a deleted scene.
I feel the need to point out that Blish, after the first four collections, wrote pretty much nothing but the introductions. He was suffering from a severe writer's block (ironically, as this was the first time in his life that his writing income was enough to let him do the work full-time) and his wife (Judith Ann Lawrence) and mother-in-law were ghostwriting the books after that point.

My recollection is that the adaptations in the first four books are the ones that most vary from the aired episodes. Whether that reflects the change in actual writers (perhaps Lawrence and her mother were less confident they could get away with changing scripts) or reflects being able to get more nearly final-draft scripts, or finally getting to even see the series (Blish lived in England at the time) I cannot say.

Humor Blog: iTunes, At Sixteen
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote