Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 17 2014, 03:53 PM   #16
EnriqueH
Commander

Re: Day of the Dove (unresolved ending)

Yes, an epilogue with Kirk and Kang parting ways would've been good.

I hadn't seen the episode in years, but I remembered only 3 things about it from my childhood:

1) Kirk and Kang laughing the alien out of the Enterprise, which was not as embarrassingly silly as I remembered.

2) Kirk telling Kang something to the effect of, "By the way, I forgot to tell you something. ::POW!:: (One of my all time favorite Trek moments.)

3) Scotty playing with the sword, which lasted all but of a second but in my mind's eye, I thought it lasted like 25 seconds. It's funny how James Doohan was effective in his role, making a throwaway scene/gesture firmly lodged in my brain as a kid.

Anyway, the biggest reward for me in this episode was rediscovering Kang. Michael Ansara was fantastic.

Well, perhaps that would happen with some disreputable guy like Kras, aka "Bob the Discount Klingon" from "Friday's Child".
Horrible! What the hell was that about? Worst Klingon ever!
Old August 17 2014, 08:20 PM   #17
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

^That may be why they sent him. Maybe the High Command hoped he'd either learn something about honor, or get killed by the Capellans. Which is, of course, what they got.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:04 PM   #18
Nightowl1701
Commander

Maybe this is what you're looking for. From the James Blish novelization...

The command chair was a place again where a man could relax. For a moment, anyway. Kirk leaned back in his seat.
"Ahead, Mr. Sulu. Warp Factor One." He turned to Kang and Mara. "We'll reach a neutral planet by tomorrow. You'll be dropped there. No war, this time."
He eyed Mara. A real woman, that one. If she hadn't been Kang's wife ... if there had been time. Ah well, no man could accommodate all opportunities...
Kang was saying, "Why do you humans so revere peace? It is the weakling's way. There's a whole galaxy out there to be taken, Kirk, with all its riches!"
Spock looked up. "Two animals may fight over a bone, Commander - or they can pool their abilities, hunt together more efficiently and share justly. Curiously, it works out about the same."
Kang turned. "One animal must trust the other animal."
"Agreed," Kirk said. "Cooperate... or fight uselessly throughout eternity. A universal rule you Klingons had better start learning." He paused. "We did."
Had it got through? Maybe. At any rate, Kang's face seemed unusually thoughtful.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:13 PM   #19
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Wow, there's a forgotten gem.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant Commander

See was that so hard? Awesome!
Old August 17 2014, 09:59 PM   #21
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Come on, this is the typical ending of a TOS episode. After sixty-two episodes, you're supposed to be more than familiar with that pattern.

I mean, I watched enough of CSI and House to know at which moment the mystery will be resolved, so I don't dislike seeing an episode with a different structure.

"This is fantasy!" - Nyota Uhura
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 10:33 PM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
* or not, I don't think you can dissolve murderous intent and violence merely with a pat on the back.
There was no resolution between the Federation and the Klingons in this episode, while the two crews did very very briefly join forces to drive off the being who was manipulating them both, in the end nothing changed. It not like they suddenly became actual friends.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 10:53 PM   #23
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Several folks seem to think above t that the "real person" is the rapist-with-opportunity or
the bigot who surfaces under influence of *.

One of the BIG themes of TOS is our underlying barbarity that we suppress for higher purposes. But is also there lurking, so we need to be mindful. Kirk speaks to this several times in the series: "I won't kill today," etc.

Which is the "real me"? The lust and in-group v. out-group instincts I inherited because they passed on genes well? Or the controlled, cooperative person I choose to try to be, having been raised well and indoctrinated by a village that saw the merits of Spock's way as quoted above? "Enemy Within," which I show my psych classes, answers, "Both."
Old August 17 2014, 11:00 PM   #24
Wingsley
Commodore

Thank you, T'Girl, for using the word that was the fulcrum of "Day of the Dove": manipulating.

The "*" alien did not place murderous violent intent in the minds of the characters by mind-control per se, but, like the Talosians, it used a combination of tricks (maybe some transmutation, maybe some illusion) to manipulate everyone into fighting.

I agree that the ending was loose, but not entirely open. We don't know what happened to the bulkheads, but we assume that the trapped Enterprise crew were freed quickly. (Even if the bulkhead metal didn't change back to normal, at least someone was able to pry the doors open.)

Kras, the Klingon agent in "Friday's Child" was not necessarily a starship officer; more of an intelligence agent. He was therefore easy to cast as sneaky and dishonorable. Kor, Koloth and Kang were clearly starship commanders, and therefore bound by the honorable "maritime rules". (See "The Enemy Below" from 1957, starring Kurt Jurgens and Robert Mitchum to see this illustrated clearly.)

When Kang and Mara finally realized the true threat was the "*" alien, they behaved in a maritime fashion, working with Kirk to save the ship. While the ending is a bit cheesy and left to the imagination, it made sense.
Old August 17 2014, 11:53 PM   #25
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

The TOS crew's race hatred isn't totally invented by the *, just amplified. This is made evident in TUC. (Also somewhat in TVH with, e.g., McCoy's grumbling that the Klingon ship smells like Klingons.)
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 12:02 AM   #26
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

In defense of Bob the Discount Klingon, at least he had some personality. The one in "A Private Little War" is completely forgettable, he may as well have had a personal cloaking device. I won't even count Generic Klingon on Viewscreen from "Elaan of Troyius", his role was so tiny.
Old August 18 2014, 12:09 AM   #27
EnriqueH
Commander

Ooof, I thought Kras looked awful.

Seriously looked like a regular dude.

Totally miscast. Amplified wen he would grit his teeth. They should've stuck him in Spock's Brain.
Old August 18 2014, 05:11 AM   #28
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

You know, between Rejak and the *, Kirk has got to spend some time wondering why he never gets assigned to a planet being haunted by one of those energy-beings that feeds on love. Of course, you couldn't get that past Broadcast Standards, I suppose …
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 05:15 AM   #29
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Nebusj wrote: View Post
You know, between Rejak and the *, Kirk has got to spend some time wondering why he never gets assigned to a planet being haunted by one of those energy-beings that feeds on love. Of course, you couldn't get that past Broadcast Standards, I suppose …
Good point. Not as good for "action-adventure" '60s TV as a hate-sucker. Better for TAS or novel. "Metamorphosis" maybe?
Old August 18 2014, 05:31 AM   #30
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
In defense of Bob the Discount Klingon, at least he had some personality. The one in "A Private Little War" is completely forgettable, he may as well have had a personal cloaking device. I won't even count Generic Klingon on Viewscreen from "Elaan of Troyius", his role was so tiny.
Comparing Kras with Krel or the one in Elaan of Troyius is almost like comparing Lieutenant Kyle and Lieutenant Hadley. Kras had a full episode and the two others had two minutes on screen.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote