USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 9 2014, 07:24 PM   #1
johnnybear
Commander

Season four?

I wonder if anyone knows of any stories were scheduled to be part of season four if there had of been one?
More encounters with The Klingons and The Romulans no doubt plus other lost Starships? The mind boggles!
JB
johnnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Season four?

I'm not aware of any stories that were bought for a fourth season. I don't believe NBC advanced the series any money to start purchasing stories for a potential fourth season, which they had done in the past. The writing was on the wall in terms of cancellation.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
drt
Captain

I suppose one could look to the animated series to get an idea of some of the stories they might have done, for the most part it was the usual suspects writing those scripts.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Cartoon Uhura in command of the ship on Saturday morning? No problem at all. Live-action Uhura in command in prime time? No chance in hell. Promote DeSalle ASAP!!!!
Old September 10 2014, 12:55 AM   #5
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Yes it's true, some unused TOS scripts/ideas were made into TAS eps. So there is some of what a Season Four might have been.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 01:32 AM   #6
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

foxhot wrote: View Post
Cartoon Uhura in command of the ship on Saturday morning? No problem at all. Live-action Uhura in command in prime time? No chance in hell. Promote DeSalle ASAP!!!!
The network had no problem with a woman second in command. They just kiboshed Majel as Number One because they thought that she, like the bulk of the pilot cast, wasn't strong enough to help carry the show. I doubt anyone would have blinked an eye if Uhura took the Conn now and then.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 11:30 AM   #7
johnnybear
Commander

I know that a few Lost in Space scripts were being prepared for their season four before they were cancelled!
JB
Old September 10 2014, 11:37 AM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The novel The Joy Machine is an adaptation of an unused TOS script.
Old September 10 2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Marsden
Fleet Captain

Orion Press has a lot of info. William Shatner wrote one but they could never have made it anyway because of the budget.

http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/unseen.htm

http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/ar...b_of_death.htm

Not really for a fourth season, but for more possible stories.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
The network had no problem with a woman second in command. They just kiboshed Majel as Number One because they thought that she, like the bulk of the pilot cast, wasn't strong enough to help carry the show. I doubt anyone would have blinked an eye if Uhura took the Conn now and then.
So if the suits weren't the reason why didn't Uhura ever have the conn?
Nobody thought of it?
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Warped9
Admiral

After Roddenberry kept repeating the fabricated story that NBC didn't like the idea of a woman in position of authority he basically painted themselves into a corner.

I keep coming back to a question that will probably never be answered: at any time during the series was there ever a story idea depicting a woman of command rank and it was deliberately shot down? Or was it simply that during the series run no one else thought of proposing the idea even if for a guest shot?

I say this simply because there were a number of Starfleet guest roles throughout the series where a woman could have been cast just as easily as a man. Any number of Starfleet Commodores, Captains and Admirals could have been played by a woman. Even if it had happened only once it would have been huge in terms of worldbuilding and the message of equality TOS purported to be trying to convey would have strengthened.

I'm glad Star Trek Continues (with the character of Commodore Gray) finally did what TOS could have done.
Old September 10 2014, 03:31 PM   #12
johnnybear
Commander

In Turnabout Intruder, Janice Lester states that women are not allowed to serve as Captains in starfleet! Right or wrong it's still there in the show!
JB
Old September 10 2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

johnnybear wrote: View Post
In Turnabout Intruder, Janice Lester states that women are not allowed to serve as Captains in starfleet! Right or wrong it's still there in the show!
JB
This is always getting rehashed. But the episode clearly lays out that Lester is bitter as hell and an unstable nutjob--definitely not starship command material. And she proves it repeatedly throughout the episode. So anything she says is highly suspect.

I still take it as meaning that Kirk's own career of starship command held no room for a woman in terms of a long term relationship (and this is largely what Lester is bitter about) rather than Starfleet prohibiting woman from command.
Old September 10 2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Marsden
Fleet Captain

johnnybear wrote: View Post
JB

No more! Agggh!

Indysolo wrote: View Post
The Janice Lester line was discussed here last year. It is open to interpretation. I like to believe that Janice Lester feels Kirk didn't have room in his life for his career and a relationship.

Neil
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 04:56 PM   #15
johnnybear
Commander

I take it this has been said before? LoL
JB