RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,448
Posts: 5,727,713
Members: 25,787
Currently online: 432
Newest member: Freezy


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 12 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Season 3

So I've started watching Season 3 and just finished "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"

So far, I don't think the 3rd Season is anywhere near as bad as its reputation, though the slashing of the budget is obvious.

The Third Season of Star Trek kinda reminds me a bit of the third season of Kung Fu in that both of these third seasons seem to go for trippy, mindbending stories.

Spectre of the Gun was a good episode IMO. I really liked it. I also enjoyed Elaan of Troyius.

Paradise Syndrome, I loved. Great locations, music, and I enjoyed the story. A couple of over-the-top Shatnerisms not withstanding, such as the infamous "I am Kirok!"

Is There In Truth No Beauty was great. It feels worthy of the best of Star Trek.

Spock's Brain is as bad as its reputation: embarrassing dialogue. It's like The Alternative Factor.

The Empath is next for me, which I haven't seen since the mid-90s, but I remember it being very good. I'll watch it tomorrow and let you guys know what I think.
__________________
Why do you say this to me? When you know I will kill you for it?
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:01 AM   #2
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Season 3

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Paradise Syndrome, I loved. Great locations, music, and I enjoyed the story. A couple of over-the-top Shatnerisms not withstanding, such as the infamous "I am Kirok!"
"Behold the god who bleeds!" has been common parlance in my little circle for years, whenever someone is taken down a peg somehow.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:06 AM   #3
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Season 3

It has it's own strengths and weaknesses. The cheapness of the production really hits home as the season progresses and we get more and more episodes being made that feature only the regular Enterprise sets (either as the Enterprise, as a sister ship, or a facsimilie!). But on the whole I find a lot of the scripts servicable..... it's their execution that suffers.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant Commander
 
Terran_Empire's Avatar
 
Location: At the heart of the empire.
Re: Season 3

I watched Spock's Brain last night and boy was that a stinker. The only gems were Spock's dialogue and McCoy and Kirk and the very end of the episode.
__________________
Space...the final conquest...
Terran_Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Marsden
Fleet Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: Not Celebrating Spocktoberfest
Re: Season 3

Brain and brain! What is brain?
__________________
Ain't no thing like me 'cept me
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Season 3

Now, "Spock's Brain" has got a campy fun factor that I personally find some entertainment in, but I can also *totally* understand why others might find it unpalatable.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 12:24 AM   #7
Terran_Empire
Lieutenant Commander
 
Terran_Empire's Avatar
 
Location: At the heart of the empire.
Re: Season 3

Lance wrote: View Post
Now, "Spock's Brain" has got a campy fun factor that I personally find some entertainment in, but I can also *totally* understand why others might find it unpalatable.
Yeah I can see that but still...coming off of "Assignment: Earth" straight into this? You can imagine my apprehension of starting "The Enterprise Incident".
__________________
Space...the final conquest...
Terran_Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 01:08 AM   #8
Warp Zero
Ensign
 
Location: yarmouth, ME
Re: Season 3

Of course Spock's brain got back into his body and they all left happily while the people on the planet had to clean up after what happened.
Warp Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 02:15 AM   #9
Push The Button
Fleet Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Season 3

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
I watched Spock's Brain last night and boy was that a stinker. The only gems were Spock's dialogue and McCoy and Kirk and the very end of the episode.
And yet...the strategy meeting on the bridge with Kirk, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov, with the powerpoint slides on the main viewscreen is great stuff, one of my favorite scenes of the entire series.
__________________
This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 02:34 AM   #10
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Season 3

Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Now, "Spock's Brain" has got a campy fun factor that I personally find some entertainment in, but I can also *totally* understand why others might find it unpalatable.
Yeah I can see that but still...coming off of "Assignment: Earth" straight into this? You can imagine my apprehension of starting "The Enterprise Incident".
You shoulda' watched them in Production Order.

Spectre of the Gun was a pretty good episode. They were able to use that lack of budget into a cool idea.
__________________
Why do you say this to me? When you know I will kill you for it?
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 02:52 AM   #11
erastus25
Commodore
 
Re: Season 3

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Terran_Empire wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Now, "Spock's Brain" has got a campy fun factor that I personally find some entertainment in, but I can also *totally* understand why others might find it unpalatable.
Yeah I can see that but still...coming off of "Assignment: Earth" straight into this? You can imagine my apprehension of starting "The Enterprise Incident".
You shoulda' watched them in Production Order.

Spectre of the Gun was a pretty good episode. They were able to use that lack of budget into a cool idea.
Even that episode is a bit of a mess though. They run out of ideas about half way through so we end up with a padded out 51 minute episode that could have been done in 30.
__________________
"Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
erastus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 02:50 PM   #12
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Season 3

I'm about to start "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" in my chronological viewing spree.

So far, I think most of the episodes have been very good. Aside from the obvious reduction in series budget, I find very little to dislike about Season 3, with some exceptions.

1) I don't think I need to explain Spock's Brain, so I won't get into that. Obvious misfire when you're knee deep watching the series and losing yourself in the mythology though I can appreciate its campy, cult status in a Russ Meyer sort of way.

2) And the Children Shall Lead was not as bad as its IMDB rating would lead me to leave, but it was neither here nor there. Not exactly an episode I would watch over and over. I read that Fred Freiberger meant for this to be a remake of Miri, but better. Obviously that didn't happen. Annoying kids always ruin stories. Miri was better, but I still have to sit through, "Nyah, nyah, nee, nyah, nyah." Ugh!

3) Plato's Stepchildren was good! I remembered being embarrassed at some of the overacting and watching Shatner acting like a donkey. But overall, this was an interesting episode, enhanced especially by Michael Dunn as "Alexander" who gave a great performance. He pretty much makes the epiosde now that I think about it. I also loved Shatner's line, "Alexander, where I come from: race, color or size doesn't matter. And nobody has the power!" Kinda sums up Star Trek right there.

4) LOVE LOVE LOVE...McCoy in The Empath (a great episode IMO), and "For the World Is Hollow..." DeForest Kelley, IMO, gave two of his best performances in these two episodes. Very rewarding for me. I was very moved by the way McCoy pushed The Empath away when she was trying to sacrifice her life for his. Says a lot about Bones. He showed a lot of character in both episodes.

5) Now I come to the inspiration of this particular posting:

That Which Survives.

This to me is the low point. It's actually a pretty decent adventure story, in and of itself, but what makes it a low point isn't that. It's this...up until now, I haven't noticed any serious lapses in characterization, but I finally saw it---LOUD & CLEAR---in this episode.

Kirk and Spock spend the episode acting like they have their period---Kirk acts like a douche towards Sulu, ("If I wanted a Russian history lesson, I'd have brought Mr. Chekov!")

Worse of all was Mr. Spock, explaining that the occidental or whatever part of his head hit the corner of the captain's chair. Awkward attempt at humorous dialogue, but what really annoys me about the writing is the way Spock keeps riding the crew about minute details, "Not 93 seconds, 93.777 seconds, Lt." I'd never really seen Spock act like that much of a smartass. Yeah, he could be a bit of a smartass, but the dial was turned up way high in this episode.

I tried to rationalize Spock's behavior at first because it seemed at first as if he were directing this attitude primarily towards Lt. Radha, and I rationalized that if he were taking Lt. Radha under his wing, it made sense that he was being a bit hard on her specifically.

But as the episode wore on, my theory went out the window as it was obvious Spock was acting like this towards the entire crew. If he really needed the Lt. to say, "93.777 seconds", I wish he would've explained why, but I found his leadership abilities a bit demotivating to his subordinates.

The episode wasn't all bad. It was entertaining, and it featured two crew members which were gone all too quickly.

I loved Lt. D'Amato! Arthur Batanides wasn't in the episode long, but I thought he brought a lot of energy and believability to what would've been a lesser, forgettable role in someone else's hands. I was disappointed D'Amato ended up being a glorified red shirt, but I enjoyed his all-too brief performance. Definitely one of the most effective "red shirt" type roles in the series.

I also thought the Lt. Radha character had potential to grow. Naomi Pollack, like Batanides, seemed to have potential for future guest starring roles.

Overall, it's an entertaining episode, but the characterizations of Kirk and especially Spock kinda ruin it.
__________________
Why do you say this to me? When you know I will kill you for it?
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Season 3

Any time anyone says "point #" in reference to seconds is stupid, since you can't speak fast enough for that kind of precision to be possible, let alone meaningful.
__________________
* * *
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
—Will Rogers
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 09:02 PM   #14
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Season 3

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Annoying kids always ruin stories. Miri was better, but I still have to sit through, "Nyah, nyah, nee, nyah, nyah." Ugh!
I know one guy who never watched Star Trek. Turns out he did one day, when some friends were over his place (I think they were going to go fishing, but it rained, something like that). Well, lo and behold, Miri was on, so the grand total of his Star Trek knowledge now turns out to be "Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk!" There is just no way to un-ring that bell...

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Plato's Stepchildren...enhanced especially by Michael Dunn as "Alexander" who gave a great performance. He pretty much makes the epiosde now that I think about it.
Agreed, he was great.

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
I also loved Shatner's line, "Alexander, where I come from: race, color or size doesn't matter. And nobody has the power!" Kinda sums up Star Trek right there.
Indeed. If only it were so in our world now...

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Worse of all was Mr. Spock, explaining that the occidental or whatever part of his head hit the corner of the captain's chair.
Occipital.

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
I loved Lt. D'Amato! Arthur Batanides wasn't in the episode long, but I thought he brought a lot of energy and believability to what would've been a lesser, forgettable role in someone else's hands.
Wasn't he good? He fit like a glove on that show!
Even Engineer Watkins was good, and he had even less to do.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 09:56 PM   #15
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Season 3

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Annoying kids always ruin stories. Miri was better, but I still have to sit through, "Nyah, nyah, nee, nyah, nyah." Ugh!
I know one guy who never watched Star Trek. Turns out he did one day, when some friends were over his place (I think they were going to go fishing, but it rained, something like that). Well, lo and behold, Miri was on, so the grand total of his Star Trek knowledge now turns out to be "Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk!" There is just no way to un-ring that bell...


Horrible.
__________________
Why do you say this to me? When you know I will kill you for it?
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.