RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,061
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 537
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Marsden
Captain
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Location: Getting killed so the captain can have tea later.
Re: Uhura:

I know the scene in Star Trek 6 was for a cheap laugh, but why does everyone assume all Klingons speak the same language? Maybe there was some dialect that wasn't in common use that they needed to use.

Although I don't remember where, I thought I read that Nichols was against that scene because she thought Uhura would know the required language.

And, I don't really like this episode. Anything that happens in this episode is dubious, so I really ignore it. It's, in my opinion, one of the worst episodes. It is certainly illogical on many points. Worse than Alternative Factor.
__________________
"A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 06:53 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Uhura:

Strangely, the Enterprise didn't have any mental health specialist at the moment...
It's even stranger that they actually did. McCoy is supposed to be a specialist in space psychology, as per "Court Martial". Why, then, do they need Liz Dehner aboard for evaluations in "Where No Man"? (Because McCoy is one of those being evaluated?) Why doesn't McCoy accompany Kirk to Tantalus? (Because McCoy is too uncritically in awe of Dr Adams' work?)

In any case, it wouldn't be out of line for McCoy to be in charge of Uhura's therapy here. Unless his license to shrink was revoked in the aftermath of "Court Martial"...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 07:17 PM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Uhura:

Timo wrote: View Post
Strangely, the Enterprise didn't have any mental health specialist at the moment...
It's even stranger that they actually did. McCoy is supposed to be a specialist in space psychology, as per "Court Martial". Why, then, do they need Liz Dehner aboard for evaluations in "Where No Man"? (Because McCoy is one of those being evaluated?) Why doesn't McCoy accompany Kirk to Tantalus? (Because McCoy is too uncritically in awe of Dr Adams' work?)

In any case, it wouldn't be out of line for McCoy to be in charge of Uhura's therapy here. Unless his license to shrink was revoked in the aftermath of "Court Martial"...

Timo Saloniemi
To be fair, McCoy wasn't in WNMHGB.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 09:52 PM   #19
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura:

One thing I really liked about that scene was the way Uhura was sitting on the bed, in sort of a way a child might...I can't really explain it. But it was absolutely adorable!

As far as the blue-y thing, it does jog my memory about DC comics of the period. Every time some child in a story spoke, every single time, the kid would always use 'me' instead of 'I', as in "Me want to go outside." Even as a kid I found this utterly condescending to children's intelligence (which is not meant to imply that as a kid I used the word 'condescending' ). I have never, ever heard a kid talk like this. To this day, it gets me mad when I think of the middle-aged guys who probably wrote this schlock. Maybe it was just a generational thing, but to me they demonstrated a very poor-to-nonexistant understanding of kids.

Sorry, didn't mean to stray...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: Uhura:

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I like the point someone made earlier that could explain the reason why Uhura was so shabby with Klingonese in "Star Trek VI:" Nomad took it away from her when she was probably very fluent in that language at the time.
I really don't buy that kind of retroactive explanation involving non-mentionne aftereffects where Chekov was goofy in later movies because he had brain damages from Wrath of Khan or Uhura stopped to sign in TOS because of Nomad.

Bones was worried in STIV because Spock was not yet totally back, but he would have let a 50% Uhura returning to her job?
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 01:07 AM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura:

If Uhura had been effectively wiped clean, and they were able through the superior methods of the 23rd century to re-educate her in a very short period of time ...

... why would Starfleet Academy be a four year educational process? Wouldn't Starfleet Academy be maybe a month at most?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 01:27 AM   #22
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Uhura:

Three words: Transporter pattern buffer.
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 01:31 AM   #23
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Uhura:

I'd assume the patterns weren't being stored quite that carefully a century before "Unnatural Selection", so they would have needed a hair follicle... Because even back in the 1960s, it was already well known that hair follicles contain professional skills, Swahili and the ability to recall one's grandmother.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 02:43 AM   #24
Joel_Kirk
Commodore
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: Uhura:

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
On the other hand, I like the point someone made earlier that could explain the reason why Uhura was so shabby with Klingonese in "Star Trek VI:" Nomad took it away from her when she was probably very fluent in that language at the time.
I really don't buy that kind of retroactive explanation involving non-mentioned after-effects where Chekov was goofy in later movies because he had brain damages from Wrath of Khan or Uhura stopped to sign in TOS because of Nomad.

Bones was worried in STIV because Spock was not yet totally back, but he would have let a 50% Uhura returning to her job?
True.

However, we can also attribute it to the character being a whiz or a wunderkind. Of course, we get more of a sense - in the 2009 film - that Uhura is a master of languages; extremely intelligent (and hot).

Too, Spock was considered dead and gone. Uhura, based on what I remember of the episode and the context - I haven't seen it for sometime - was able to be 're-educated.' Technological advances probably would have allowed expedited brain activity.

Even Chekov had possible brain damage in "Star Trek IV" after his fall on the navy ship, and he probably would have got worse with the 20th century care. However, McCoy's little doo-hickey allowed quick brain or skull regeneration.
__________________
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 04:16 AM   #25
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Uhura:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

As far as the blue-y thing, it does jog my memory about DC comics of the period. Every time some child in a story spoke, every single time, the kid would always use 'me' instead of 'I', as in "Me want to go outside." Even as a kid I found this utterly condescending to children's intelligence (which is not meant to imply that as a kid I used the word 'condescending' ). I have never, ever heard a kid talk like this.
Neither have I, unless the kid was playing at being Tarzan or Tonto!

That reminds me of the way some adults lisp like Elmer Fudd when they're supposedly imitating children's speech. I've never heard a kid lisp like that unless he had a genuine speech impairment.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 04:33 AM   #26
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura:

scotpens wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post

As far as the blue-y thing, it does jog my memory about DC comics of the period. Every time some child in a story spoke, every single time, the kid would always use 'me' instead of 'I', as in "Me want to go outside." Even as a kid I found this utterly condescending to children's intelligence (which is not meant to imply that as a kid I used the word 'condescending' ). I have never, ever heard a kid talk like this.
Neither have I, unless the kid was playing at being Tarzan or Tonto!

That reminds me of the way some adults lisp like Elmer Fudd when they're supposedly imitating children's speech. I've never heard a kid lisp like that unless he had a genuine speech impairment.
Exactly, scotpens, exactly! Where do these ideas come from? I don't know why it bothers me so much, except that perhaps it makes me imagine that these comic writers, for example, who presumably have kids of their own, must have had very distant relationships with them (that's "woman's work", y'know?). Much the same way some people are like with dogs, practically inclined to call them 'it'.

Maybe it's just because I've known a few older guys like that. I could see that kind of dialogue once in awhile, but it was so frequent, it came across to me as editorial policy. But maybe it was just the 'kids are to be seen and not heard' mentality of an older generation.

Peruse some old DC covers, and you'll see what I mean.

As far as Uhura goes (the real topic here ), The Changeling was a good opportunity for Nichelle Nichols to do her thing...which for me was her ability for great expressions. I'm not an actor, so can't identify the particulars, but after struck by Nomad, she takes on that great blank look, which I have no idea how that's achieved. And even when reading the ball is blue stuff, her face actually takes on a sort of child-like look. Again, I can't explain how, but I can at least appreciate it!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:08 AM   #27
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Uhura:

Man, I was a 70s DC kid and I do not remember that "me" stuff. Earlier? I believe you. I like how in the earlier comics they always said "Er." As in an embarrassed Clark: "Oh, hello, er, Lois. . . ." I suppose that was the real placeholder in 1956 and not "um."
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:14 AM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Uhura:

plynch wrote: View Post
Man, I was a 70s DC kid and I do not remember that "me" stuff. Earlier? I believe you. I like how in the earlier comics they always said "Er." As in an embarrassed Clark: "Oh, hello, er, Lois. . . ." I suppose that was the real placeholder in 1956 and not "um."
More of a 60s and 50s thing. Back when they used characters like Wonder Tot and Superbaby.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:21 AM   #29
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Uhura:

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
Man, I was a 70s DC kid and I do not remember that "me" stuff. Earlier? I believe you. I like how in the earlier comics they always said "Er." As in an embarrassed Clark: "Oh, hello, er, Lois. . . ." I suppose that was the real placeholder in 1956 and not "um."
More of a 60s and 50s thing. Back when they used characters like Wonder Tot and Superbaby.
Yeah, that is to what I refer, the period more or less in line with the original Star Trek.

The 'er' is a good one! You'd think these dual identity heroes would be better at keeping their secret! They would have to know that questions would be coming, yet when the inevitable "Where were you?" comes up, they start with that stammering!

Writing shorthand, I guess...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 10:52 AM   #30
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Uhura:

It would sure be nice if we could keep a regularly updated backup of our brains, "for just such an emergency."

If you were diagnosed with dementia, you would stop updating the backup with your declining condition, and keep the last good one as your restore point.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.