IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 6 2014, 07:06 PM   #16
Metryq
Captain

Re: The Planet Destroyer from 'Doomsday Machine'. Wha'd they do with i

Christopher wrote: View Post
They put a large comet in its mouth and made the galaxy's biggest sno-cone!
Ha! Rosetta found a lot of snow on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, didn't it?
Old August 6 2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

We don't know if the fictional neutronium is the same as actual neutron star material. If it is, moving it would require a LOT of ships because it would be so flipping massive (100 milliion tons per cubic centimeter). Also, since neutron star material is held together by gravity rather than atomic bonds, to cut it would be like cutting water...it would just flow back together (which also means it should just crush itself into a sphere unless there is some other powerful force maintaining its shape).
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 10:41 PM   #18
Wingsley
Commodore

Star System L-374 was mostly destroyed, planets blown to bits, rubble/asteroids adrift everywhere. The "Planet Killer" inner mechanism was, itself, destroyed by the rigged self-destruct of the derelict Starship Constellation. Science vessels tried to glean what little remained of that mechanism, but that expedition turned out to essentially be forensic/archeological in nature. Science might someday benefit, but there would be no quick plundering operations there.

When the Constellation exploded, the machine's inner mechanism exploded as well, damaging the neutronium hull. The imperfect cone of course had a gaping hole in its "bow", but other fissures also formed from the explosion. The many-miles-long "dead hulk", isolated in a sector of frontier space that never offered any strategic value, was too large and bulky for any known propulsion to carry to any nearby starbase or other friendly facility. So the only thing left to do was for a couple of portable, automated sub-light dockyard tugs to push (or pull) the dead hull deeper into the debris field, where navigation was a hazard and no curious adventurers would bother to look. The intense gravity of the dead hull complicated the towing operation, and some smaller nearby asteroids were attracted to the dead hull. The resulting collisions eventually rendered the tugs inoperative; the dead hull and tugs were abandoned, as Starfleet deemed their crushed technologies unsalvageable and to be of little value to alien scavengers. The whole operation was abandoned after only ten years.

One science vessel stayed behind at the end of the mission to construct a very small space station near the asteroid field. The station would be automated, but would be rigged to allow for occasional manned expeditions to visit at intervals planned by Starfleet command. A small observatory on the little space station would monitor the effect of the dead hull's neutronium-induced gravity on nearby asteroids. Over the next 100 years, the station would receive occasional visits to refit the facilities and to formally conduct manual audits of the deal hull's "progress". In that time, the asteroids began to fall into the dead hull's gravity with increasing frequency, ultimately embedding themselves in the dead hull's growing mass. As the dead hull accumulated more debris, the overall gravity of the mass continued to escalate, leading to an acceleration of growth. The collisions grew in size, frequency, and violence. Starfleet heeded the report of the Constellation-class U.S.S. Stargazer, commanded by newly promoted Captain Jean-Luc Picard, to allow for the continued operation of the space station. Picard expressed enthusiasm for the mission, heralding what he called the historic formation of the proto-planet Decker.

Turns out that Federation science gleaned more from Decker's formation than from the examination of the dead hull's remains in the first place.
Old August 6 2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^You just made that up.
Old August 6 2014, 11:04 PM   #20
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Nice though.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:32 AM   #21
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
We don't know if the fictional neutronium is the same as actual neutron star material. If it is, moving it would require a LOT of ships because it would be so flipping massive (100 milliion tons per cubic centimeter). Also, since neutron star material is held together by gravity rather than atomic bonds, to cut it would be like cutting water...it would just flow back together (which also means it should just crush itself into a sphere unless there is some other powerful force maintaining its shape).

And along with that incredible density, the planet killer was miles long. I have to agree with those who've said we could not tow it anywhere whatsoever, because it is too massive.

It's going to continue moving through space the way it was when the Constellation blew up, and as LMFAOschwartz said, it has to go on the star charts as a new feature of the cosmos.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:49 AM   #22
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

It's now a Motel 6.
Old August 7 2014, 01:49 PM   #23
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

They shrank it down to normal size and someone ate it.

GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:53 PM   #24
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

It was good, too.
Old August 7 2014, 03:30 PM   #25
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Create a neutronium platform, bait Q into the middle and drop the DDM on top.

Could he get out?

Old August 7 2014, 05:01 PM   #26
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It's now a Motel 6.
"We'll leave the plasma beam on for ya'..."
Old August 7 2014, 06:39 PM   #27
Spocktoberfest
Captain

A space giant that happened to be hard of hearing is now using it for his grandkids to yell into.
Old August 7 2014, 08:57 PM   #28
Warp Zero
Ensign

Kirk rammed an old starship into it's mouth and set the warp drive stuff to blow up in 30 seconds. Like always, he barely makes it and everything works out fine!
Warp Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 09:08 PM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Warp Zero wrote: View Post
Kirk rammed an old starship into it's mouth and set the warp drive stuff to blow up in 30 seconds. Like always, he barely makes it and everything works out fine!
^^^Which has what to do with the topic exactly?

And it was the impulse engine, which Scotty rigged to blow.
Old August 7 2014, 09:28 PM   #30
Creepy Critter
Admiral

With the power plant disabled, I wonder if the neutronium hull would start decaying into simple neutrons, under the premise that part of the operation of the machine was to hold the neutronium together, since the mass of the berserker is obviously below the Chandrasekhar limit of 1.39 solar masses (or otherwise it couldn't have been hovering over a planet slicing out chunks of it, without flinging the planet out of its natural orbit*).

* - Unless part of the operation of the subspace dampening field is to negate most of the machine's mass, in which case it could be massive enough to support its own solar system with its power plant off, assuming it doesn't decay into neutrons anyway; neutron star radii are only a few miles, so the machine could actually have a mass of around twice the sun's.**

** - So, it would actually be consistent with the length of the machine stated in the episode for the machine to have been made out of a neutron star.