Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 10 2014, 08:30 AM   #31
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: LGBT characters and themes in Trek fan films?

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
And it was shoe-horned and awkward.

I'm gay and I don't want to be portrayed as just a gay man. I want to be portrayed as a person who just so happens to be gay.

Put us in there, but don't make a big deal. Who knows? Maybe some characters in Trek are gay and we never knew because that's not their character, it's a detail.
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

I'm gay and I don't want to be portrayed as just a gay man. I want to be portrayed as a person who just so happens to be gay.

Put us in there, but don't make a big deal. Who knows? Maybe some characters in Trek are gay and we never knew because that's not their character, it's a detail.
I'm bisexual...and I agree with you 100%.
lennier1 wrote: View Post

That's the part that annoys me to no end. I don't expect the productions to make a big deal about some character's hair color either.
I didn't, he seemed flat. Like his entire character was "the gay." That's it. I did not enjoy that.
I'm gay and I don't agree with you. I think the point in Blood and Fire was to show a young couple in love. No one in that story bat an eye that it was a gay couple, as that wasn't the focus.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 11:22 PM   #32
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I had a problem with Blood & Fire in that I thought the love scene with Peter Kirk and Freeman went on too long - it just felt like it dragged, especially with two characters that I hadn't had time to become invested in.

Having said that, I think Peter Kirk has otherwise been handled really well in Phase II .
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2014, 11:28 PM   #33
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

DCR wrote: View Post
I had a problem with Blood & Fire in that I thought the love scene with Peter Kirk and Freeman went on too long - it just felt like it dragged, especially with two characters that I hadn't had time to become invested in.

Having said that, I think Peter Kirk has otherwise been handled really well in Phase II .
I also don't mind Peter Kirk in Phase II, but I - as been mentioned before - it seemed the love scene was trying to make a point and get attention, rather than have it be natural/normalized for the audience as well as the in-universe characters.

It was like: LOOK! BECAUSE WE ARE STAR TREK, WE HAVE A GAY COUPLE! LOOK!

I've found that when Star Trek unconsciously adds diversity it works. Whenever it tries to speak for all demographics, it usually comes off forced.
Old August 11 2014, 02:02 AM   #34
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

That these topics invariably become arguments over the merits or failures of "Blood and Fire" points out the paucity of gay anything in Star Trek in general and fanfilms as well.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 05:21 PM   #35
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I also don't mind Peter Kirk in Phase II, but I - as been mentioned before - it seemed the love scene was trying to make a point and get attention,
Yes, it did. "Look this is a couple. You, audience, are supposed to care about them. They are important to the story."

rather than have it be natural/normalized for the audience as well as the in-universe characters.
Whatever that means.
What's more "natural" than a young couple in loving embrace?

I think you should get over yourself.
Like I said before, had that been a male/female-couple no one would have bat an eye.
Old August 12 2014, 12:33 AM   #36
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I applaud and appreciate Phase II for not shying away from letting the gay couple be romantic and sexual. All too often even now gay men in media are portrayed as asexual best friends - having Peter Kirk be an important character, nephew of Captain Kirk, and be allowed to express love and sexuality with an honesty that is rarely seen.
We had whole episodes and on going storylines focused on hetero love in Trek all the time, I don't see how Blood and Fire did anything "worse" than what's been done before, just with a gay male couple.
Old August 12 2014, 12:42 AM   #37
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
That was unnecessary.
Old August 12 2014, 01:06 AM   #38
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

I also don't mind Peter Kirk in Phase II, but I - as been mentioned before - it seemed the love scene was trying to make a point and get attention,
Yes, it did. "Look this is a couple. You, audience, are supposed to care about them. They are important to the story."
And, the story should have been able to do that without a long gimmicy take.

rather than have it be natural/normalized for the audience as well as the in-universe characters.
Whatever that means.
What's more "natural" than a young couple in loving embrace?
It is natural when it isn't forced in a film or show as a way for the filmmakers to pat themselves on the back.

Like I said before, had that been a male/female-couple no one would have bat an eye.
No, I battle with myself all the time. And, I found that Joel-1 and Joel-2 tend to work better together rather than apart.

Had it been a male/female couple, particularly a black male opposite a non-black female....I'm sure eyes would have batted, and it would have come off as forced as well.

From a cinematic standpoint, that scene could have been cut down. It could have been placed later on in the episode after we've got to know the two characters; maybe after a battle when one thinks the other has died or something.

In the current context, as aforementioned, it's forced and messes up the pacing of the picture. And, even if it was a male/female couple of the same racial background it still messes - or, at least, fiddles - with the pacing of the episode.

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; August 12 2014 at 01:37 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:23 AM   #39
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I know I'm going to regret this... but here I go.

Star Trek was TERRIBLE at showing ALL couples. I'm not gay. I'm old enough to have watched TOS first run. I am weird enough that I never understood why gay people were singled out and not just encouraged to have long term committed relationships which is what is best for public health way back BEFORE AIDS...

That said, I thought the B&F love scene was tasteful and not cringe-worthy. The overwhelming majority of Pro Trek love scenes are cringe-worthy at best. I thought the B&F scene was a fine love scene, much better than most of the Pro Trek hetero ones, more natural, more fun, more legitimately intimate. I was EXPECTING to cringe, but I didn't.

From what you gay folks are saying... perhaps the problem is they act too much like a normal strait couple but happen to be gay? I realize it was long by Trek standards. I realize I am not and never will be a gay man. But forced? Watch any Kirk love scene from TOS... that's my idea of FORCED and IDIOTIC. This was much better.

OK, wipe me off the face of the planet. But I have been reading this and reading it and I had to say it. I know NOTHING about how gay people act when they are alone with their beloved. But as a STRAIT FEMALE person, I found this scene pleasant and tasteful. I can't say the same for Kirk in TOS.

I know I should now duck into a dark corner...
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 07:21 AM   #40
Basill
Captain

I'm bisexual...and I agree with you 100%.
lennier1 wrote: View Post
That's the part that annoys me to no end. I don't expect the productions to make a big deal about some character's hair color either.
I didn't, he seemed flat. Like his entire character was "the gay." That's it. I did not enjoy that.
I'm gay and I don't agree with you. I think the point in Blood and Fire was to show a young couple in love. No one in that story bat an eye that it was a gay couple, as that wasn't the focus.
Scene didn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 08:24 AM   #41
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

Barbreader wrote: View Post
From what you gay folks are saying... perhaps the problem is they act too much like a normal strai[gh]t couple but happen to be gay? I realize it was long by Trek standards.
There's not much different between couples of any gender mix in terms of intimacy and playing around like that.

The problem I had with the scene was it was overlong and too early in the story. We hardly even knew these characters names.
Old August 12 2014, 02:21 PM   #42
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
The problem I had with the scene was it was overlong and too early in the story. We hardly even knew these characters names.
It's part of what made it so annoying, though it's par for the course.

Think back to Balance of Terror. The young couple about to be married had never received any screen time before, one of them dies over the course of the episode and the other was never to be seen again after the end credits. Why exactly were we supposed to give a damn about them?

As constructed as the appearance in Phase II was, at least the character wasn't some insignificant throwaway character.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 04:52 PM   #43
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Basill wrote: View Post
Scene didn't hurt my feelings one bit.
Good.

I agree that the scene was too long, but at least it had some nice eye-candy.
Old August 12 2014, 11:06 PM   #44
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

That's exactly it, and the fact that we weren't invested in the characters outside of their sexuality.
Old August 13 2014, 05:34 PM   #45
beamMe
Fleet Captain

That's exactly it, and the fact that we weren't invested in the characters outside of their sexuality.
Your reactions just show how necessary such scenes still are in science fiction.