Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 2 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Pixipick
Cadet

Kirks middle name

I just watched an episode called Where no man has gone before and in the episode a gravestone is displayed with the name James R Kirk. I only know Kirks middle name as Tobias, was the original name something different?
Pixipick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 07:58 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Kirks middle name

Tiberious.
Old August 2 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Tiberious.
I knew that. He only says it once, though. And not in the series if memory serves, in one of the movies.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:03 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
Tiberious.
I knew that. He only says it once, though. And not in the series if memory serves, in one of the movies.
I thought it was in The Animated Series?
Old August 2 2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

Tiberious.
General Chang says it in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, but I believe it first appears in the animated Star Trek episode, "Bem," where it is said four times per the transcript.

For what it's worth, David Gerrold takes credit for coming up with the name at a convention in this interview, after which he put it an episode and had it approved by Gene Roddenberry and D.C. Fontana.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:17 PM   #6
davidant32
Commodore

Well, according to Memory Alpha...

"James Tiberius Kirk" was the final choice of name chosen to adorn the new TV show's hero. "James", derived from the Hebrew name Jacob, means "grasps the heel" or "grasps the bottom"; a colloquial equivalent would be "he gets it" or even "he groks". "Kirk" is the Lowland Scots word for "Church". "Tiberius" was first identified in the animated episode "Bem", and mentioned again in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Tiberius Caesar Augustus was the second Roman Emperor, known for his darkness and corruption, from the death of Augustus in 14 AD until his death in 37 AD. Tiber is the Latin name for the river that runs through the city of Rome. The name might also possibly have been influenced by the maverick Roman politician Tiberius Gracchus.
According to Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek: The Motion Picture novelization, Kirk was named "James" after his mother's "first love instructor" as well as an uncle (his "father's beloved brother"), and "Tiberius" because the Roman emperor fascinated his grandfather Samuel.
According to the infamous and incorrect "James R. Kirk" tombstone, created by Gary Mitchell in TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before", Kirk was born on stardate 1277.1, and was intended to die on 1313.7. That could have been the stardate Kirk actually assumed command of the Enterprise, with its place on the tombstone being part of Mitchell's morbid sense of humor. According to D.C. Fontana in the introduction for Star Trek: The Classic Episodes 1, when the mistake over the middle initial was discovered, Gene Roddenberry decided that if pressed for an answer on the discrepancy, the response was to be "Gary Mitchell had godlike powers, but at base he was Human. He made a mistake."
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/James_T._Kirk
Old August 2 2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post

General Chang says it in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, but I believe it first appears in the animated Star Trek episode, "Bem," where it is said four times per the transcript.

For what it's worth, David Gerrold takes credit for coming up with the name at a convention in this interview, after which he put it an episode and had it approved by Gene Roddenberry and D.C. Fontana.
It's funny, I knew that it was said in the animated series but instinctively, I dismissed it as irrelevant. The animated series also contains a holodeck yet in TNG it is presented as something new.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Pixipick
Cadet

Oops I meant to write Tiberius, but a glass of wine or two turned him into Tobias. Thanks for all the replies, it has answered my question 😊
Pixipick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Grasps the bottom"? Well, that explains a lot.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Green Shirt
Commodore

Pixipick wrote: View Post
Oops I meant to write Tiberius, but a glass of wine or two turned him into Tobias. Thanks for all the replies, it has answered my question ��
Please tell me the name of the wine.
Old August 2 2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The R. stands for Reinhold, just like Dan R. Fielding on Night Court.
Old August 2 2014, 09:01 PM   #12
urbandefault
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
The R. stands for Reinhold, just like Dan R. Fielding on Night Court.
I thought it was Riberius, and Mitchell had slugged some of the OP's wine.
Old August 2 2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, the original intent was for "R" to stand for Roy, which is why Nomad so easily mistakes the captain for its creator (Jackson Roykirk). I can't remember when "T" was first used, though.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old August 2 2014, 09:10 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
IIRC, the original intent was for "R" to stand for Roy, which is why Nomad so easily mistakes the captain for its creator (Jackson Roykirk). I can't remember when "T" was first used, though.
That's unlikely, since "James T. Kirk" appears in the first season ("Court Martial" and "A Taste of Armageddon") and "The Changeling" wasn't written until after those episodes had already been written, filmed, and broadcast.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Alrighty-roosky.