Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 4 2014, 07:31 PM   #16
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New to TNG

I do concede that I always watch every episode of a series, even when people suggest I skip stuff, so that's a fair point - if you watch S1/S2, you can at least debate the quality of them down the line.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

Wow! I posted as a newbie on the TNG section earlier. I am watching TNG much for the first time. Already have VHS copies of "The Best of Both Worlds" and maybe seen it at least twice. Saw other shows from time to time. Watching TNG on Netflix right now. Much for first time. Read around 200 Star Trek novels and most of the TNG novels. Have the TOS and TAS and ENT dvds. Have much to do. But I only recently watched "Haven" for the first time and will continue gradually. Good to know that it gets better later.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

It's probably important to keep in mind we're only seeing the more interesting moments and missions that the Enterprise had, there's probably countless, mundane, missions and explorations the ship goes on that the underlings on the ship get to be a party too especially if their field of expertise happens to be relevant.

But for the series, we see those missions or cases where the experience and talents of our main characters was needed.
Old August 9 2014, 01:32 PM   #19
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

Welcome. Be careful browsing around here as people don't bother to warn about spoilers as the show ended 20 years ago.

But have fun
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 07:33 AM   #20
wulfio
Captain

Endgame wrote: View Post
Wow! I posted as a newbie on the TNG section earlier. I am watching TNG much for the first time. Already have VHS copies of "The Best of Both Worlds" and maybe seen it at least twice. Saw other shows from time to time. Watching TNG on Netflix right now. Much for first time. Read around 200 Star Trek novels and most of the TNG novels. Have the TOS and TAS and ENT dvds. Have much to do. But I only recently watched "Haven" for the first time and will continue gradually. Good to know that it gets better later.
What are those?
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 07:51 AM   #21
gottacook
Commander

Via listentoamovie.com, I'm currently listening to an episode I've seen several times since it originally aired: "Q Who" from the middle of season 2. In the fullness of time I've grown to consider this the best episode of the first two seasons, and not just because it's the harbinger of "The Best of Both Worlds" or because John De Lancie is given many of his best-ever lines as Q. It also doesn't include a role for the ship's chief medical officer, which is nice for those who don't enjoy the Pulaski character even if otherwise they're fans of Diana Muldaur (as I am). Some of the best music of the series, too.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 06:12 PM   #22
johnjm22
Lieutenant

Season 2 is very underrated. Lots of good episodes.

It also lays the foundations of some great TNG story arcs.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 10:50 PM   #23
asl
Ensign

New to Star Trek? Luck you. I wish I could, again, watch the all the series' for the first time.
asl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 11:56 PM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Haha, love those old VHS sets where you have to pay $20 for two episodes.

There are some people out there who actually paid somewhere around $1600 for the whole series. Me, I just taped them off the TV.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 06:55 PM   #25
extremedalek
Ensign

View extremedalek's Twitter Profile

I'd reiterate what others have said about sticking with the early seasons. I joined TNG in season 4, so when I originally went back to the older episodes, I hated them. I thought they were cheap, overly-dramatic and the characterisations all over the place. That was pretty much my view for years afterwards.

However, I've just completed a marathon of season 1 this week, and I've found that there is much to enjoy here.
extremedalek is offline   Reply With Quote