USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 2 2014, 11:59 PM   #16
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Re: Season SEVEN OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
A solo release of AGT makes perfect sense. However in terms of the narrative for the season 7 bonus features, does that mean they're going to save all of the "journey's end" stuff for the solo release only? It will be a bit of a drag if the documentaries focus only on the episodes, and not on the end of the road.
I guess we won't know until the details are put out. My guess would be that AGT would only focus on the production of that episode and the season set features would focus on it being the final season and go through the journey's end stuff there.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 03:10 AM   #17
trekker670
Fleet Captain

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I'm betting we'll also get a Fathom Events theatrical release of All Good Things.
I don't think that we will. I don't remember the source, but someone interviewed part of the CBS Team (I believe it was Roger Lay, Jr) asking about season 7 and the possibility of future theatrical releases. The response was essentially that they'd love to do it, but they ran into some legal trouble with their previous theater events, due to the original contracts for the show not covering theatrical releases.

Edit: Here's the interview I mentioned: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/exclu...ne-on-blu-ray/

and the relevant quote:

We really can’t do the theatricals anymore, because of all these things that have come up with the guilds – the Writers Guild, the Directors Guild. All these things where we were doing theatrical releases of episodes that were meant for television. If you go into theatrical you have to factor in all these royalties. So probably not.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

trekker670 wrote: View Post
TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I'm betting we'll also get a Fathom Events theatrical release of All Good Things.
I don't think that we will. I don't remember the source, but someone interviewed part of the CBS Team (I believe it was Roger Lay, Jr) asking about season 7 and the possibility of future theatrical releases. The response was essentially that they'd love to do it, but they ran into some legal trouble with their previous theater events, due to the original contracts for the show not covering theatrical releases.

Edit: Here's the interview I mentioned: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/exclu...ne-on-blu-ray/

and the relevant quote:

We really can’t do the theatricals anymore, because of all these things that have come up with the guilds – the Writers Guild, the Directors Guild. All these things where we were doing theatrical releases of episodes that were meant for television. If you go into theatrical you have to factor in all these royalties. So probably not.
If I had to guess, I bet of the two it was primarily the Director's Guild. The Writer's Guild has very little power in Hollywood, but the Director's Guild nearly always gets what they want, just like SAG/AFTRA. Given that director Rob Bowman had the most episodes exhibited (three of the six), I imagine the DGA and his agent were livid when they found out these were being done and he wasn't getting any royalties from the ticket sales (i.e. they weren't getting any money either!).

I suppose CBS could have argued that since these were just low bitrate 1080i satellite broadcasts played off a DVR and shown on an advertising projector it didn't rise to the level of true cinema exhibition, but I can see the DGA not buying that argument, seeing as the tickets were like $15 a pop.

"Cut it out or pay up!"
Old August 3 2014, 12:54 PM   #19
MakeshiftPython
Captain

That makes a lot of sense. The two screenings I went to were packed, so I didn't think they would have done too badly that they couldn't continue the specials. That's too bad.

Lucky my theater used the 4K projector (which now runs both ads and films) instead of the old advertiser they used before converting to digital cinemas. I would have been annoyed watching from a advertiser projector, seeing the scan lines on the screen.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 12:55 PM   #20
DarkHorizon
Captain

Thing that pleases me:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/08/tng...ent-1522022464

Trekcore wrote:
I can confirm that "Journey's End" will be included on the Blu-rays.
Trekcore wrote:
Bet on SD, like the "Reading Rainbow" piece and the DVD features that have been carried over from the earlier releases.
Would like to see the Viewer's Choice bumpers as well - they fit quite nicely with the documentary (since they were filmed at the same time with Frakes).
Old August 3 2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Lucky my theater used the 4K projector (which now runs both ads and films) instead of the old advertiser they used before converting to digital cinemas. I would have been annoyed watching from a advertiser projector, seeing the scan lines on the screen.
Hmm, that's odd your theater would use the expensive 4K projector to run ads, burning precious time on the more expensive lamp. Trailers, sure... but ads? I guess it's ultimately up to the theater, but that sounds really, really unnecessary. You're very lucky you saw TNG that way, though! From what I understand that's unusual. Fathom usually only exhibits on the advertising projector, which can vary in quality from theater to theater -- at least that's the way it was in 2012. I know that Fathom was essentially bought by AMC, Cinemark and Regal right at the end of last year, so it has changed ownership. Maybe that means all showings now use the 2K or 4K cinema projectors.

My Season Two screening was plagued with technical issues (sound problems and delayed by over an hour) and looked very, very murky and dark. And this was at the AMC Burbank 16. It was relegated to one of their smaller screens. It was so underwhelming, I refused to see "The Best of Both Worlds" the following year. Which is a shame, as I probably looked forward to that the most.
Old August 4 2014, 07:31 PM   #22
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
My Season Two screening was plagued with technical issues (sound problems and delayed by over an hour) and looked very, very murky and dark. And this was at the AMC Burbank 16. It was relegated to one of their smaller screens. It was so underwhelming, I refused to see "The Best of Both Worlds" the following year. Which is a shame, as I probably looked forward to that the most.
That screening was a technical nightmare! It was also my last Fathom event. "The Cage" screening at the Burbank 16 wasn't much better, with all of the audio coming from the left front speaker.
Old August 5 2014, 09:09 AM   #23
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
That screening was a technical nightmare! It was also my last Fathom event. "The Cage" screening at the Burbank 16 wasn't much better, with all of the audio coming from the left front speaker.
Ah, we suffered together then! At least they gave us free passes.
Old August 5 2014, 07:57 PM   #24
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I can't believe we are up to Season 7 already. It seems not long ago we were all pretty pessimistic about the chances of TNG in HD ever happening.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 08:05 PM   #25
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
I can't believe we are up to Season 7 already. It seems not long ago we were all pretty pessimistic about the chances of TNG in HD ever happening.
That pessimism has moved on to DS9.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 08:12 PM   #26
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

No kidding.

So even though I have been buying all the season sets as they come out I am only up to Season two when it comes to watching so I have a question about bonus material. Has the footage of Riker and LaForge from the Start Trek Experience ride turned up on any of the season sets?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 08:32 PM   #27
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
No kidding.

So even though I have been buying all the season sets as they come out I am only up to Season two when it comes to watching so I have a question about bonus material. Has the footage of Riker and LaForge from the Start Trek Experience ride turned up on any of the season sets?
No, there haven't been any STTE related bonus features included with the TNG season sets, but there have been some in previous releases:

There was a special on STTE included with the TNG Movie boxed set though, which included footage from both of the rides and closing ceremony.

The Voyager DVD sets included special features on STTE as well. The Voyager season 1 Best Buy bonus disc had a feature about the original STTE ride. Season 7 included a feature on "Borg Invasion" in the standard set.

Most of these features (along with both fan-captured video and actual ride footage taken by past employees) are available on YouTube.
Old August 6 2014, 04:04 PM   #28
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Have you read the Roger Lay interview on Trekcore? He asserted that DS9 would be more difficult technically because from Season 4 onwards, most of the effects were CGI. I don't think he's right. Sure, they started using CGI for some things (wasn't the Defiant exclusively CGI?), but they reused a lot of previous practical shots (just like TNG).

He actually used the term "digital" not "CGI" but I assume he meant "CGI". Here's a quote: "...by Season 4 of DS9 you had digital elements, a lot of digital elements. By the Dominion War they were doing entire sequences that were digital, there were no models anymore." Is this correct?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 04:26 PM   #29
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Have you read the Roger Lay interview on Trekcore? He asserted that DS9 would be more difficult technically because from Season 4 onwards, most of the effects were CGI. I don't think he's right.
I'm pretty sure he has a pretty good idea of what's going on with the project, the discussions that are happening within CBS, and what obstacles lie ahead in remastering DS9, if they choose to.

What he's saying here isn't anything we haven't heard before, first from fans familiar with how the various shows were produced, and subsequently by members of the current production.

Sure, they started using CGI for some things (wasn't the Defiant exclusively CGI?), but they reused a lot of previous practical shots (just like TNG).
No, the Defiant started out as a studio model. They used a combination of CG and model shots throughout the series.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class#Design
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=9903

He actually used the term "digital" not "CGI" but I assume he meant "CGI". Here's a quote: "...by Season 4 of DS9 you had digital elements, a lot of digital elements. By the Dominion War they were doing entire sequences that were digital, there were no models anymore." Is this correct?
CGI is, by definition, digital. It's "computer generated" so the files are all digitial in nature. Digital is a more generic term, meaning "involving or relating to the use of computer technology."

This is mostly correct. The big war sequences were pretty much exclusively CG given the large number of ships and complex shots required. That's not to say they didn't use models at all, but they were used pretty rarely, in comparison.

DS9 was almost exclusively the studio model, with the only exception being the very last shot of the last episode, where the camera pulls back from the promenade.
Old August 6 2014, 07:04 PM   #30
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

CGI was used throughout the show, of course (the wormhole effect was created by Rhythm & Hughes, Odo's morphing was CGI, etc.) However, if we're talking about the exterior space scenes, according to Memory Alpha, the first DS9 episode to use extensive CGI was the Season 4 episode "Starship Down." It was the 79th episode:

The Defiant, the Jem'Hadar fighter, the atmospheric probe and the clouds were all created in a computer by VisionArt Design & Animation
The first ever episode to exclusively use CGI for its new shots was the Season 6 episode "Sacrifice of Angels." It was the 130th episode of DS9 (out of 176):

Being the first episode where the battle scenes were entirely done in CGI, the producers realized that this was a massive project for television and quickly decided to split the workload between Digital Muse and Foundation Imaging. The latter was tasked with digitizing the alien ships, while the former would handle those Federation ships that were not digitized yet. The animation of the battle itself was for the first half handled by Digital Muse; Foundation did the second half (with the USS Defiant breaking through the lines and the arrival of the Klingons).