RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,283
Posts: 5,719,651
Members: 25,760
Currently online: 513
Newest member: dwaynhari

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 1 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Food cubes in TOS

As suggested by Melakon.

What real world ingrediants were used to make the little green yellow and red food cubes seen in several episodes of TOS?

What do you think they tasted like "in universe" and what would prompt Starfleet of that era to serve food in cube form?
__________________
"I'll be in my bunk"
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Food cubes in TOS

They probably taste like crap, like actual products like Tang and Space Food Sticks, based on food made for astronauts during the 1960s.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Is there ever an episode where a character actually eats one of the cubes?
__________________
"I'll be in my bunk"
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Food cubes in TOS

In "By Any Other Name", Tomar ingests something before Scotty invites him to have a drink.

I suspect they used melon, or cheese, and food coloring. I guess even Play-Doh is possible.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:17 PM   #5
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Melakon wrote: View Post
They probably taste like crap, like actual products like Tang and Space Food Sticks, based on food made for astronauts during the 1960s.
Those Space Food Sticks were awesome!

We used to love those.

__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Melakon wrote: View Post
In "By Any Other Name", Tomar ingests something before Scotty invites him to have a drink.

I suspect they used melon, or cheese, and food coloring. I guess even Play-Doh is possible.
They look like cantaloupe or honey dew dyed with food coloring.
__________________
"I'll be in my bunk"
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: Spock of Ages
Re: Food cubes in TOS

I thought they were meant to look alien/futuristic rather than be the "protein pill" trope of some SF writers.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I thought they were meant to look alien/futuristic rather than be the "protein pill" trope of some SF writers.
Well they match the color scheme of those square disks that were fed into the computer and the Lite-Brite control panels. Seems primary colors were big with Starfleet interior decorators.

I wonder what the "in-universe" explanation for their color and shape is...
__________________
"I'll be in my bunk"
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:54 PM   #9
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Food cubes in TOS

The food synthesizers produced ice cream in "And the Children Shall Lead". So, they could make more than just colored cubes.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 04:54 PM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: Spock of Ages
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I thought they were meant to look alien/futuristic rather than be the "protein pill" trope of some SF writers.
Well they match the color scheme of those square disks that were fed into the computer and the Lite-Brite control panels. Seems primary colors were big with Starfleet interior decorators.

I wonder what the "in-universe" explanation for their color and shape is...
Storage and inventory.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 05:01 PM   #11
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Food cubes in TOS

1001001 wrote: View Post
Those Space Food Sticks were awesome!

We used to love those.

Yeah, they did qualify as fun food for the novelty. I think there were some flavors I didn't like that much is all.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Well they match the color scheme of those square disks that were fed into the computer and the Lite-Brite control panels. Seems primary colors were big with Starfleet interior decorators.

I wonder what the "in-universe" explanation for their color and shape is...
Storage and inventory.
For their form factor I'd also count that they're probably very easy to hold a couple without requiring too much conscious attention, and won't roll off the console you set a couple on if the ship isn't being hurled from side to side very much.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Well they match the color scheme of those square disks that were fed into the computer and the Lite-Brite control panels. Seems primary colors were big with Starfleet interior decorators.

I wonder what the "in-universe" explanation for their color and shape is...
Storage and inventory.
For their form factor I'd also count that they're probably very easy to hold a couple without requiring too much conscious attention, and won't roll off the console you set a couple on if the ship isn't being hurled from side to side very much.
So like a 24th century "Lunchable"?
__________________
"I'll be in my bunk"
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Food cubes in TOS

In-universe, those cubes are an Andorian food called gristhera. It's said to be popular with lots of different alien races and so is often served at Federation diplomatic functions.
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In-universe, those cubes are an Andorian food called gristhera. It's said to be popular with lots of different alien races and so is often served at Federation diplomatic functions.
Source? Since Memory Alpha seems to know nothing about that name in a search, I'll guess that's from your own personal in-universe.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.