Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 1 2014, 10:23 PM   #16
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Holodecks are a boring technology to watch

I love the holodecks.

Mainly because I would give anything to have one.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 10:33 PM   #17
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I would give anything to have one.
This.

BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 12:28 AM   #18
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
What's worse? Barclay using physical likenesses of real people as fictional characters in his holodreams or Geordi creating a facsimile of Leah Abrams, falling in love with it and being chagrined when the real thing didn't match the fantasy?

In which of those scenarios is the person more out of touch with reality?
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair, Geordi didn't originally intend to create a hologram of Brahms. The computer did it for him. All Geordi did was, later on, ask the computer to update the hologram with Brahms' actual personality profile so it would be easier to talk to her. Which, in itself, is understandable. This doesn't excuse what happened later, but there we are. I feel Geordi should have 1) deleted the Brahms hologram altogether, or at least 2) warned the real Brahms it was there before she got the chance to walk in on it.

Barclay's use of the holodeck, IMHO, was worse. There should be a safety mechanism in place which prevents anyone from simulating a crewmate without their consent. Otherwise it's a gross violation of privacy. People should have the absolute right to know when they're being simulated, and prevent it if they wish.
He also lied about the nature of it to her. If he did fall in love with that hologram he kept that last part of it for a reason

It's the equivalent of using someone's picture online without their permission, but there's not much you could do about it.

But seriously, is it really so wrong to use it to live out a secret fantasy of a person you know? In a liberal, libertarian, open and free world where people have self control?

Wouldn't getting lost in a holodeck fantasy be considered a success, the purpose of the people who designed the program and the holodeck in the first place?
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:28 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Depends. There'll usually be a reason why people simulate other people in the holodeck. How somebody acts toward a simulated person may well affect how they treat the real thing, as it were. (For example, if I find out that somebody is simulating me in the holodeck so they can kill me, over and over, don't I have the right to know about that? It could mean they want the REAL me dead.)
Everybody's looking for Stilton
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 04:49 AM   #20
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Shouldn't they bump into the real walls? I mean, it's in a big room right? Did they address that?
Old August 2 2014, 08:23 AM   #21
doctorfoto
Commodore

plynch wrote: View Post
Shouldn't they bump into the real walls? I mean, it's in a big room right? Did they address that?
In the TNG Technical Manual, I believe it said that the floors move for each individual user, an omni-directional conveyor belt basically - so that no matter how much you walk, you'd never hit the walls. The holo-matrix projects the other people in the holodeck with you as part of the simulation (to your perspective) so that they can seem far away when they're not. Something like that.

Is it holo-addiction though? It's not like these people had TV to unwind to at the end of the day. How many hours of holodeck use per day would qualify as addiction? I'd be curious to compare that with modern tv viewing habits.
I find it interesting so many people are turned off that the holo-simulations are "too real" (not glitchy enough). I've personally never had any issues with that - hadn't even considered it. I DO however think that "holo-addiction" would be unlikely, simply because of lack of access.

Even assuming that a Galaxy Class starship had.. even 20 separate holodecks, with over 1000 crew members, that's a lot of wait time for your turn. The shows always implied that everyone (including low-level officers and civilians) had easy access to the holodecks and could spend hours every day to recreate, but that just wouldn't be feasible. Even in the 24th Century Federation, there are some limitations.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

robau wrote: View Post
The scenes filmed in them are typically so utterly flawless that they come off as just another scene. They blend in. There's nothing visually interesting to look at. When something is created, it just appears. No projections or lasers or machinery of any kind. There's never any minor glitches to make me feel like I'm watching an amazing technology as opposed to actors just doing another scene.
Yes, it's instantaneous...what's the problem. If Worf can read a fairly instructive message on his tactical station instantaneously, why the computer should have a compilation delay for the holograms? What's you're suggesting would have been repetitive and quite ugly considering we're talking about a 1987 tv-show.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:15 PM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

doctorfoto wrote: View Post
Even assuming that a Galaxy Class starship had.. even 20 separate holodecks, with over 1000 crew members, that's a lot of wait time for your turn.
But as tempting as access would be for you, many of the people aboard the ship might be visiting the holodeck only rarely. Some never visit except for some type of require training.

Entering a chamber where all is make believe simply holds no interest for them. Instead they interact with real people in ten-forward, or send time in the ship's gym, read in their quarters, attend a play or concert.

Just because I like to run in the park, doesn't mean everyone does.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:59 PM   #24
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
We've seen the holodeck stay in operation when the door was open and people came and went, so the heavy locking door isn't even required.

Melakon wrote: View Post
That corner with the big door seemed to pull double duty as the holodeck door, shuttle bay door, and cargo bay door as needed.
Just why was the holodeck door so doggone hefty? The big, imposing 'whoosh' as they opened and closed...it' seems more like a hatch which would open directly into space.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 02:50 AM   #25
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ The holodeck and the corridor could have been separated by a bulkhead.

Old August 3 2014, 05:19 AM   #26
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

I would literally spend my life at Quark's if I lived in the Star Trek universe (holosuites + booze + awesome people). I hear if you can offer some service you can basically live on the station for free... right?

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old August 3 2014, 06:14 AM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I hear if you can offer some service you can basically live on the station for free
What kind of "service" were you thinking of offering?

Old August 3 2014, 06:21 AM   #28
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I hear if you can offer some service you can basically live on the station for free
What kind of "service" were you thinking of offering?

LOL nothing dirty I assure you...

Like... janitorial service? Er.... Oo-mox? LOL

Or I could put on a skimpy outfit and spin the dabo wheel.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old August 4 2014, 05:59 PM   #29
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

doctorfoto wrote: View Post
Even assuming that a Galaxy Class starship had.. even 20 separate holodecks, with over 1000 crew members, that's a lot of wait time for your turn. The shows always implied that everyone (including low-level officers and civilians) had easy access to the holodecks and could spend hours every day to recreate, but that just wouldn't be feasible. Even in the 24th Century Federation, there are some limitations.
Of course, but there's always a part of the crew currently on duty. Strangely, a lot of important things happen during the regular day shift when every important officer are on duty and Wesley's not at school. When something happens at the evening, half of the required officers are already on the bridge and the other half is playing poker or drinking non-alcoholic beverage.

I think the summum of convenience is in The Perfect Mate. Riker to bridge. If you need me, I'll be in holodeck four. Of course Willie Boy, when you need to interrupt your shift to barclay yourself, you know the holodeck four is open to you.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 06:05 AM   #30
dswynne1
Lieutenant Commander

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I forget which DS-9 episode it was, but an Alien fell for Kira and wanted Quark to build him a replica in the his Holosuite. When Kira found out it was edited to have Quark's head on her body- a funny as hell payback for having one's privacy violated...
But the thing was, Quark was going about the situation a bit sloppily, starting with telling his brother Rom what he was planning to do. Quark should have been smart enough to a) know that Kira would say 'no' to begin with, b) hire someone to get the data he needs, and c) have a back-up plan in case he is found out, so that when his operation was known, he secure some sort of plausible deniability in place. I know he's not Garak, but Quark should have been savvy enough not to be found out, especially with Odo around.
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote