TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 68 30.36%
A 77 34.38%
A- 40 17.86%
B+ 18 8.04%
B 9 4.02%
B- 4 1.79%
C+ 3 1.34%
C 3 1.34%
C- 1 0.45%
D+ 1 0.45%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2 2014, 01:21 AM   #31
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I even kind of enjoyed the truly horrible selection of music on the 'mixtape' !

Disagree with 'horrible' strongly! That was the greatest soundtrack ever!

Meanwhile, A+!

My most vivid memories of Rocket Raccoon come from the Mike Mignola comic miniseries. This brought that Rocket totally to life for me.

This movie ruled! They even showed a CELESTIAL! For the love of God, somebody do an Eternals movie so they can do more Celestials!

It was funny, engrossing and Lee Pace did a fantastic job as Ronan. Nice Work all around.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 01:33 AM   #32
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I even kind of enjoyed the truly horrible selection of music on the 'mixtape' !

Disagree with 'horrible' strongly! That was the greatest soundtrack ever!
Amen to that. I loved how they made the soundtrack integral to the movie. I want to know what else is on Awesome Mix Vol. 2!

This movie ruled! They even showed a CELESTIAL! For the love of God, somebody do an Eternals movie so they can do more Celestials!
Again, Knowhere being a Celestial's head is a concept too awesome for words. It's inclusion in the movie is just icing on the cake.

"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 02:05 AM   #33
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Will see this one Sunday afternoon, looking forward to it!
Old August 2 2014, 02:32 AM   #34
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
Third, Nebula was underused. At the start of the movie, except for the fact that it was Karen Gillan playing her, she wasn't that interesting. The more times we saw her, the better she became. I really hope we get to see her again. Especially annoying is the fact that she had better motivation and depth than Ronan.
Yeah, but to be fair they had their hands full introducing the five main characters and the cosmic setting. You can't expect the secondary villains to get that much development. But she did escape at the end, so I expect her to not only appear in the sequel, but to get quite a bit of screen time.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 02:34 AM   #35
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

It was the best film of this summer! Loved the cameo at the post-credits scene.
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:02 AM   #36
The Wormhole
Admiral

Meh. It's okay, I guess. Entertaining and held my attention with some fun characters, especially Rocket and Groot. But it was rather cartoony (yeah, I know, comic book movie) and at times very derivative of Star Wars. Hell, it almost felt at times like this was Disney's testing ground for Episode VII. Also, I was reminded of STID when

Karen Gillan was criminally underused in this movie. She was awesome in every scene she was in, even if she was just stomping around and yelling at her underlings to get out of the way. But unfortunately, there was just very little of her in the movie. Maybe I'm biased since I am a Doctor Who fan, but I would have preferred she have a larger role in the movie.

While I don't regret seeing the movie, I wouldn't exactly recommend it either, even if it is one of the better movies I've seen in theatres this year.
Old August 2 2014, 03:17 AM   #37
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
Third, Nebula was underused. At the start of the movie, except for the fact that it was Karen Gillan playing her, she wasn't that interesting. The more times we saw her, the better she became. I really hope we get to see her again. Especially annoying is the fact that she had better motivation and depth than Ronan.
Yeah, but to be fair they had their hands full introducing the five main characters and the cosmic setting. You can't expect the secondary villains to get that much development. But she did escape at the end, so I expect her to not only appear in the sequel, but to get quite a bit of screen time.
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Karen Gillan was criminally underused in this movie. She was awesome in every scene she was in, even if she was just stomping around and yelling at her underlings to get out of the way. But unfortunately, there was just very little of her in the movie. Maybe I'm biased since I am a Doctor Who fan, but I would have preferred she have a larger role in the movie.
I feel the same way The Wormhole. As for not expecting a secondary villain to get that much development, Kelthaz, I was trying to say that she got more development than Ronan. Ronan had no development, he was simply angry at the Xanadarians. Nebula, however, had her anger at Thanos for him ignoring her over Gamora, who she was jealous of. Her, "Gee, thanks Dad" comment alone, those three words, equated to more character development than Ronan.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:26 AM   #38
Aldo
Admiral

While I'm not suggesting it's necessary in order to enjoy the film, there's a two part Guardians of the Galaxy prelude mini-series that includes some great scenes of Nebula and really explores how she and Gamora were brought up.
Old August 2 2014, 03:50 AM   #39
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

A+. Best film I've seen all year. All five characters were great and when you can get a damn good performance from Bautista, you know you are hitting on all cylinders. Great humor and action.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 06:34 AM   #40
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I don't know that I'd call it the best MCU film, but it's definitely the most unique one. A couple of the previous movies (Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World) got criticized in some quarters for being overly comedic, but this one strays into outright comedy for much of its running time, which is perhaps more easily stomached (as well, it's a new property and so distinct from everything else). As well, despite being set in the Marvel Universe, it doesn't really feel like a superhero movie.

I loved the soundtrack of old 70s songs (I hope the next one keeps that up).

They were setting themselves a high degree of difficulty, between the characters being basically unknown and some of them being outright silly, visually (Rocket is the benchmark for successfully incorporating a very comic book idea into film and actually making him cool).

I've been a fan of Chris Pratt since Everwood, so it's cool to see him in a leading role on the big screen. I like Zoe Saldana as Gamora as well, though I think the switch from the character's introduction to her declaring that she's actually betraying Ronan could have been done a bit better; but she also has a lot of my favourite moments (humour, especially), between the music/Kevin Bacon gag and the fact that her grand plan to steal the orb is to walk up, kick Star-Lord in the nads, and then run off with it.

I kind of wish they had cast Djimon Hounsou as Thanos; his voice would have been very cool for that part (he auditioned for Drax, I believe, and they offered him Korath if he wanted to be in a comic book film in a smaller part).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 06:37 AM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

Pretty fun movie, although I think I'll be able to enjoy it much more on a second viewing. The film throws so many new characters and villains and motives and planets at you that it's all a bit hard to figure out at first (at least for a non-Marvel guy like me).

But the humor was really good, and the main characters are so fun to watch together that the movie eventually won me over. And it's such a fun and cool movie to look at as well.

So for now I'd give it an A-.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 06:56 AM   #42
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

DWF wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I thought Guardians of the Galaxy might actually be Marvel's best movie yet. It has everything you'd expect or want in a summer blockbuster - an actual storyline that's independent of Marvel's long-going arc,
I think it has a major part in the overall story arc.
Oh, I know. However, unlike Iron Man 2, it doesn't feel like the overall story arc is the only plot thread pushing the story forward. I can enjoy Guardians without having to feel like I'm watching an infomercial for Avengers 3 or whatever.
Old August 2 2014, 07:47 AM   #43
Harvey
Admiral

It was a fun movie, although I think a few of the more serious emotional beats failed to land and the villains were rather unremarkable.

Chris Pratt was fun in the lead, Bradley Cooper stole the show as the voice of Rocket, and David Batista was surprisingly good. Zoe Saldana's heart didn't seem to be in it, though, which was odd, since she's made a lot of silly things work by committing to them in the past.

There's a huge supporting cast of superb character actors, some who are used better than others (I could stand to see more of John C. Reilly in the sequel; Glenn Close and Benicio Del Toro...were in the movie for some reason).

Overall, it was nice to see the movie spend much of the running time breaking the Marvel mold. Quite a pleasant summer diversion.

B-

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 09:54 AM   #44
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

I loved everything about this movie. A+
Old August 2 2014, 03:05 PM   #45
Yminale
Rear Admiral

This movie was great but to me it was below Captain America: Winter Soldier and X-men: Days of Future Past. It suffers from the same problem as The Avengers. There really isn't a plot here except get the group together and force them to work as a team.