RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,394
Posts: 5,505,556
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 475
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 67 30.73%
A 75 34.40%
A- 40 18.35%
B+ 16 7.34%
B 9 4.13%
B- 4 1.83%
C+ 2 0.92%
C 3 1.38%
C- 1 0.46%
D+ 1 0.46%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 1 2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Tulin
Vice Admiral
 
Location: With the most wonderful man in the world!
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Just got back - LOVED it.

Some TRULY STUNNING scenes that made me either very excited or very worried for Ep. VII!!!

I know nothing of the guy who played Peter Quill but he is SMOKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

LOTS of fun and humour and a GREAT time at the cinema!!!!


Saying that, I'm sure there'll be lotsa neckbeards who find things wrong with it. Guess what? You don't matter and you're wrong.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 05:24 PM   #17
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain
 
M.A.C.O.'s Avatar
 
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Just saw it and loved it. They really killed it hard.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 05:31 PM   #18
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Really enjoyed it, faults I can pick are minor. I'll pick my rating after second viewing but somewhere between B and A.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 06:05 PM   #19
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Guardians of the Galaxy opens to a huge Thursday with $11.2 million dollars. That's the biggest opening Thursday of the year.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 07:24 PM   #20
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I've got tickets to the 2-D showing at my local Regal...
I wish I could see it in 2D. 3D bothers my eyes.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 08:49 PM   #21
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

You know those fake flowers in a pot that move to music ?

Well :

I WANT A SOLAR POWERED DANCING BABY GROOT !!!!
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

How would you feel if you went to a midnight showing of Guardians of the Galaxy and the theater starting playing... Rise of the Guardians? It happened in Jersey and the movie people paid to see never played. The audience got free tickets for the mistake.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 09:06 PM   #23
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman
 
George Bailey's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
You know those fake flowers in a pot that move to music ?

Well :

I WANT A SOLAR POWERED DANCING BABY GROOT !!!!
We all do.
__________________
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 11:36 PM   #24
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

While I wasn't adverse to 3D (I really enjoyed it) I did notice that my theater seemed to be favoring 3D showings over 2D. I know other people have reported seeing this trend, but this is the first time I really noticed it at my theater.

I loved the hell out of this movie. This is really close to being one of my favorite MCU movies, I still greatly enjoyed 'Winter Soldier' so I'm not sure it's going to surpass that, but Marvel keeps on topping themselves (except for Iron Man 3, but eh...nobodies perfect ).
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 11:36 PM   #25
kirk55555
Commodore
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Aragorn wrote: View Post
How would you feel if you went to a midnight showing of Guardians of the Galaxy and the theater starting playing... Rise of the Guardians? It happened in Jersey and the movie people paid to see never played. The audience got free tickets for the mistake.


How does that even happen? I thought movie theaters had to return copies of movies they were showing when they were done with them. How did they even have a copy of Rise of the Guardians? This is hilarious, but it really sucks for the people who bought tickets and stayed up until midnight to see GotG.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 11:39 PM   #26
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Not to mention it's a two year old movie. I could understand if it was another movie that just came out today...but a two year old movie!? They had a two year old movie sitting around ready to que up? That's just dumb.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 12:10 AM   #27
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

I saw it last night in 3D, which by the way was terrific.

I remember hearing from James Gunn that they spent extra time & care into the 3D version and it showed. It wasn't an afterthought, like the 3D in most Marvel movies. There were times when I actually jumped because of the 3D and I'm not even a legit fan of 3D or anything. I'd go as far as actually recommend people see the movie in 3D.

As for the film itself, I thought it was stupendous. For an adaptation of an obscure comic-book with little known characters and a weirdly cosmic premise, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy might actually be Marvel's best movie yet. It has everything you'd expect or want in a summer blockbuster - an actual storyline that's independent of Marvel's long-going arc, some hilarious moments and characters that you love and can root for. Guardians would have been good, but not great, if had one or even two of these elements but it had all of them and then some. I think it is pretty astonishing when some of my favorite characters from the entire movie are CGI creations. For example, I never thought I would cheer and smile at a walking & dancing tree as much as I did for Groot.

For all of the visual spectacle (and there's plenty) or the one-liners (there's a decent amount and get this - they're all funny and land) what makes Guardians so special are the characters. Unlike The Avengers, where you could ostensibly skip the first 20 minutes until the movie picks up, Guardians starts with a bang. It is highly enjoyable to get individually introduced to every one of the characters. What's even better is that they are all introduced and then forced to interact with one another as a result of a killer action sequence that displays their character (no pun intended) via visual action, even though there's plenty of eye-rolling exposition.

Regardless, the real heart of the movie are the Guardians of the Galaxy themselves. James Gunn did a terrific job at making each and every member of the team complex and multi-layered, although Gamora suffers the most (she's concurrently the most and least interesting main character). Even a character like Rocket (voiced with a terrific Brooklyn gangster accent by Bradley Cooper) has complexity and depth and isn't just there to deliver witty and funny one-liners, although he does in spades. Gunn even took a wrestler (Dave Bautista) and gave his character, Drax the Destroyer - which could have been seen simply as the muscle of the group - with some of the most interesting characterization in the entire movie. If Rocket & Groot are the heart of the movie, then Drax is the soul. He's incredibly endearing and provides for some of the film's most heart-wrenching and funny moments.

I think that's what makes Guardians so good and why it works so well. Gunn balances space opera, comedy and emotional honesty with such aplomb that it almost feels effortless. It's a real testament to co-writer/director James Gunn as a filmmaker and I expect to see him get a lot more offers after this. However, with that said, Guardians isn't perfect. Like a lot of movies of this ilk, even though the heroes are fantastic, well-rounded and fleshed out the villains feel very cardboard cutout and thin. Which is a shame because there's some terrific designs for the villains - Lee Pace gives Ronan the Accuser his all and it's an admirable attempt, especially since he's endowed with such a great visual aesthetic. However, Ronan comes off as very predictable and cliche and while he poses a great threat he doesn't feel all that memorable. He has the typical Marvel movie motivation - he wants to destroy the galaxy because of reasons - and to be honest the villainy reminded me a lot of Thor: The Dark World, which isn't a compliment. It's also a shame because Karen Gillain's Nebula has probably the most striking look for a villain character since Darth Maul and she's completely wasted (which is even more disappointing because Gillain has some decent screen presence). I do hope for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 that Gunn pays just as much attention to the villains as he does the heroes because honestly the lackluster villains is the only thing keeping Guardians down.

All in all, though, Guardians of the Galaxy is sublime summer entertainment that's not to be missed. It's been a really excellent summer for movies as I rank the movie right up there with some of summer's best: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It's been a while since I can count five summer movies that I loved so that's something indeed. Guardians of the Galaxy is a great cap to a great summer for movies and another notch on Marvel's exceedingly excellent belt. I give the film an A- and honestly that's because I wanted more from the villains. Can't wait for Avengers: Age of Ultron now.

And lastly... James Gunn has balls for that end credits tag. Well done.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 12:31 AM   #28
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

The climax of this movie featured a(n attempted) dance-off! I mean, seriously, how can you get better than that!

I have a few minor nits to pick, but other than that, it was an A+! And most of them have to do with being a fan of the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (collectively DnA) run on Marvel cosmic.

First, Ronan, as others have said, was weak. Part of this is the fact that DnA used him to great extent in their cosmic tale and as a hero in the two Annihilators mini-series. He's a complex character and they (as well as others before them, back to his introduction in Fantastic Four) really expanded on how he could go from threatening to the Earth to defending the galaxy.

Second, Drax. Honestly, this is a nit based on Starlin's origin for Drax. In the comics, Drax was a human, who was killed by Thanos arriving on Earth and resurrected to destroy Thanos. His wife and daughter did die, as well, but his daughter was taken to Titan and transformed into Moondragon. Being created to destroy Thanos really defines the character for me. Deciding that he needs vengeance on Thanos (after realizing seeking vengeance against Ronan was wasted time) seems lacking.

On the subject of Drax, myself and the group I went with had trouble understanding him at times.

Third, Nebula was underused. At the start of the movie, except for the fact that it was Karen Gillan playing her, she wasn't that interesting. The more times we saw her, the better she became. I really hope we get to see her again. Especially annoying is the fact that she had better motivation and depth than Ronan.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
  • The giant severed head in space... Who's was it, or what was it? Will this be revisited at some point?
Man, I hope so. It is one of the most interesting features of the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning series. Are you familiar with the Marvel Celestials?



Celestials are beings who manifest their energies inside physical shells, most appearing as armor. Most Celestials stand about 2000 feet tall. All Celestials possess cosmic power of an unknown limit. Celestials rarely communicate and will usually send representatives to speak on their behalf. Each Celestial is outfitted for a certain task or duty



Knowhere is a severed Celestial head. That has so much storytelling promise (and it paid off in a big way in the DnA series), though, movie-wise, I doubt they'll introduce the Celestials enough to revisit Knowhere's origins in the movies.


__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 12:37 AM   #29
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

^ I wasn't familiar with them. Thanks.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 01:01 AM   #30
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I thought Guardians of the Galaxy might actually be Marvel's best movie yet. It has everything you'd expect or want in a summer blockbuster - an actual storyline that's independent of Marvel's long-going arc,
I think it has a major part in the overall story arc.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
guardians of the galaxy, marvel, marvel cinematic universe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.