Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support

Ryan Joins Arrow

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: How should a Star Trek season be structured for best story telling?
Each story takes one 42 minute episode 10 33.33%
Two parters 5 16.67%
Three parters 3 10.00%
Different multi episode arcs 17 56.67%
One multi epsiode arc per season 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2014, 10:20 PM   #31
suarezguy
Commodore

Re: Best structure for a Star Trek series

Any can work and any can get tired; I chose different multi-episode arcs as probably the best but only if there are some one-offs mixed in. I think more important than the lengths of whole storylines is that the characters undergrow arcs in the sense of gradual change and growth and at least not forget what happened, especially to them, before.
Old August 2 2014, 03:28 PM   #32
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

I think it should be a mix of stand alones with arcs. Possibly each season with a big bad like Buffy with standalones thrown in.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 03:41 PM   #33
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

suarezguy wrote: View Post
I chose different multi-episode arcs as probably the best but only if there are some one-offs mixed in. I think more important than the lengths of whole storylines is that the characters undergrow arcs in the sense of gradual change and growth and at least not forget what happened, especially to them, before.
This is the best description yet.

I want there to be on-going "C stories" like Crusher and her plays, Riker and his music, LaForge and his romantic problems.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 04:32 PM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What ever works for the story being told.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 06:47 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post

I want there to be on-going "C stories" like Crusher and her plays, Riker and his music, LaForge and his romantic problems.
Simply: ugh! Those elements weren't stories, they were there to try and make the characters seem interesting. Which failed in spectacular fashion. It reenforced just how bland they were.
Old August 2 2014, 08:51 PM   #36
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

when you have the episode format, most of the scenes go to the main characters anyway. and the other characters always get pushed to background.

Who knows about Uhura, Sulu and Scotty's lives and hobbies...

Geordi and Beverly Troi, had only a couple of one shot 24 hour relationships and that was it. All is forgotten later on.

When you have an ongoing story line all characters get to expand and grow.

How about Geordi and Leah stay in contact until the issue of whether it's becoming an affair comes up...

Or have them have an affair (they come to their senses and regret it, of course).

Who wouldn't watch that, or see it as a major character development for Geordi?

It would really make the characters interesting, because they have real flaws.

Instead the episodic format requires it to last one day, and then the next episode it's forgotten.

It seems boring now, compared to the way they write shows today (I think).
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:03 PM   #37
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Instead the episodic format requires it to last one day, and then the next episode it's forgotten.
Geordi and Leah are more reoccurring than a one shot in a single episode, that what makes their "relationship" so interesting.

But some people Nightdiamond just aren't "shippers."

Old August 3 2014, 01:13 AM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

How about Geordi and Leah stay in contact until the issue of whether it's becoming an affair comes up...

Or have them have an affair (they come to their senses and regret it, of course).

I just don't care about who is sleeping with who.

The characters are usually interesting because of the actors and how they're written in times of crisis. It's interesting to watch how Kirk handles Kodos the Executioner or the Gorn captain or the Horta.

It isn't interesting to watch Kirk grapple with relationship issues or what book he's reading. That's just window dressing.

I love episodic television because it gives me a complete story in an hour.
Old August 3 2014, 06:38 AM   #39
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Structure? How about a nice flying buttress.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 08:00 PM   #40
JesterFace
Lieutenant Commander

TNG did it well, for example the thing with Worf's honor, the story starts with one episode (Sins of the father, season 3), continues later with another (Reunion, season 4) and finally concluding in Redemption parts 1 and 2 (seasons 4 & 5). And it's not the only one. These "hidden" storylines between 1 episode adventures are cool. Both are needed, continuing story and stand alone episodes.

If a story continues through an entire season it's easily ruined by one little plothole somewhere... and the rest of it is done.

The "humanity's trial" by Q in TNG is nice, going through the entire series, but not interfering too much. Each episode can be a part of it or not if someone watches only 1 episode.
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 02:09 AM   #41
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

One of the flaws with the episode format is that it often requires the characters forgetting something important.

A life changing event, a relationship, some game changing technology that should affect the story line for years afterwards.

The crew forgot they know how to time travel, open trans-warp, increase shields 1000 % etc.

My thinking is different than 'let's explore Will's music hobby for a few minutes'. That, I find artificial and pretty boring.

I'm thinking something like after the original episode aired, there's more episodes later with Geordi still talking with married Leah over the com--

Another one where they're talking and someone walks in and Geordi seems to end the transmission quickly as if not wanting anyone to know. Or is it coincidence?

Later they meet and they actually have a one time affair--or they do nothing, but still end it when they're wondering if it's becoming an affair.

Now, to me, that's interesting because you don't normally see that with TNG characters--spice it up!!!
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 02:34 AM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

I'm thinking something like after the original episode aired, there's more episodes later with Geordi still talking with married Leah over the com--

Another one where they're talking and someone walks in and Geordi seems to end the transmission quickly as if not wanting anyone to know. Or is it coincidence?

Later they meet and they actually have a one time affair--or they do nothing, but still end it when they're wondering if it's becoming an affair.

Now, to me, that's interesting because you don't normally see that with TNG characters--spice it up!!!
The above is just something I literally care nothing about.
Old August 4 2014, 02:56 AM   #43
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
What ever works for the story being told.
+1

I like the multi-episode arcs we get in DS9 and late ENT but I also think Star Trek has done really well with episodic formats.

Just, most shows that choose to be episodic fall into the patterns of repetitive stories and disposable character development that is completely forgotten the next episode.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 03:38 AM   #44
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My thinking is different than 'let's explore Will's music hobby for a few minutes'. That, I find artificial and pretty boring.
And I find it interesting and engaging. It expands Will Riker into a actually Human Being and not just a cardboard cutout delivering dialog, which is what all the charactes were in the first episode of their particular series.

TPTB could have eliminated Riker's music, and the womanizing, and the love of cooking, and the way he walks through a doorway -turns left -but looks right, his relationship with Deanna from day one, things like this. And just had him be a Starfleet officer.

But then Riker would be artificial and boring. Because he wouldn't be a person.

Old August 4 2014, 07:00 AM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

I just don't care about who is sleeping with who.

The characters are usually interesting because of the actors and how they're written in times of crisis. It's interesting to watch how Kirk handles Kodos the Executioner or the Gorn captain or the Horta.

It isn't interesting to watch Kirk grapple with relationship issues or what book he's reading. That's just window dressing.

I love episodic television because it gives me a complete story in an hour.

There is nothing wrong with a little window dressing every now and then, it's just about finding the right balance do we need to know what book Kirk is reading perhaps not, but that doesn't mean you can't show Kirk reading in say his quarters before an alert goes off.

As for episodic TV that tells a complete story witin an episode, sure nothing wrong with that. However that doesn't mean the characters should forget things from 8 episodes ago.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote