Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: How should a Star Trek season be structured for best story telling?
Each story takes one 42 minute episode 10 33.33%
Two parters 5 16.67%
Three parters 3 10.00%
Different multi episode arcs 17 56.67%
One multi epsiode arc per season 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29 2014, 08:19 PM   #16
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Best structure for a Star Trek series

Structure isn't nearly as important as the writer.
Old July 29 2014, 08:25 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

A mix of everything.
Old July 31 2014, 05:47 AM   #18
Cookie Monster
Captain

Last Redshirt wrote: View Post
I would definitely prefer a multi-episodic arc that spans the season, with most of it devoted to said arc, but with the odd episode devoted to character or word building, or just having a little bit of fun.
I would agree with you on this. That said, I would much prefer 13 stories told in as many two-parters over 26 episodes...
Old July 31 2014, 05:58 AM   #19
Creepy Critter
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yes.
Old July 31 2014, 08:04 AM   #20
jazamul
Vice Admiral

I prefer episodic television with a bit of 2 or 3 parters mixed in. I generally prefer my television to be completely serialized. I find don't I tend to watch completely serialized shows for extended periods of time because I get bored and start thinking it is all too much effort.
Old July 31 2014, 11:29 PM   #21
Chairslinger
Ensign

dub wrote: View Post
In today's age of DVR and streaming, the days of serial being risky are dying. Serial worked quite well in Enterprise Season 3, and long story arcs worked well in DS9. I think DS9 would have been even more serial if it were produced today.

I'm good with either way as long as it's good Trek. But serial or long story arcs make for a richer series, IMO.
A lot of my own thoughts. I've also noticed that serialized seems to becoming more and more popular format. And all in all I prefer serialized series.

But I think Star Trek can be good with any of them. TNG is some of the best episodic television ever. DS9 is some of the best serialized television.

And Enterprise was absolutely fantastic with it's three parter-heavy format of the 4th season.
Chairslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 12:19 AM   #22
mos6507
Captain

I think Trek works best when the issues take center stage and the characters act as more of a frame around them. In a serial format, the soapy life drama of the leads become center-stage and the issues can get lost in the shuffle. Serials always seem to tease the audience by slowly unraveling some mystery (ala Lost) or having a "slash" romance play out to its eventual anti-climax. It works as it goes along, but once all the mystery boxes are opened, there's not enough rewatchability.
Old August 1 2014, 12:25 AM   #23
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I like the balance DS9 found. Arcs that continue throughout the season but also leave room for standalone episodes, with occasional long arcs for the biggest moments.

Like others have said, I would rather watch an episodic show with great writing than a serial show with bad writing.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; August 1 2014 at 12:44 AM.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 01:26 AM   #24
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Oddly enough, I preferred ENT's approach in its last season. Two and three part episodes that explored the mythology with cliffhangers to keep people coming back, and the occasional one-off episode, better suited to aliens of the week and weird sci-fi premises.

DS9 also did well with its approach but there was entirely too much filler. It hadn't escaped the TNG mode of storytelling and the quality of individual episodes was wildly uneven, often killing any narrative momentum.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 07:14 AM   #25
martok2112
Captain

I agree with the notion that a season should have some two or three part episodes, while maintaining a general arc, and the occasional "stand alone" episode that allows viewers to take a breather from the overall story.

Sometimes, a concentrated and continuous seasonal arc, especially one that requires you to watch every single episode each week to stay current in the story, can be a bit tiresome. That's why the occasional stand alone episode often seems like such a breath of fresh air....or in some cases, can be the "fart in church".

I thought DS9 did the best job with this.
Old August 1 2014, 11:50 AM   #26
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I lean towards serial.

I don't know, the serial format seems to be a great success with a lot of shows recently. Like Spartacus, Game of Thrones,

Is makes the viewer study the show more closely in order to understand the entire series.

noticed that characters in an episodic series don't seem as fleshed out as with a serial series.

They appear, deal with plot of the week and the episode ends, so you rarely get to see all aspects of their personalities.

Geordi, Wesley, Troi, compared to say, Sisko, Jake, Kira don't seem as 3 dimensional .

I wonder if alien of the week format may be as successful if we get a new Trek series, but I doubt it.

Cable shows are the main thing--much more freedom to explore.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 12:10 PM   #27
martok2112
Captain

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
I lean towards serial.

I don't know, the serial format seems to be a great success with a lot of shows recently. Like Spartacus, Game of Thrones,

Is makes the viewer study the show more closely in order to understand the entire series.

noticed that characters in an episodic series don't seem as fleshed out as with a serial series.

They appear, deal with plot of the week and the episode ends, so you rarely get to see all aspects of their personalities.

Geordi, Wesley, Troi, compared to say, Sisko, Jake, Kira don't seem as 3 dimensional .

I wonder if alien of the week format may be as successful if we get a new Trek series, but I doubt it.

Cable shows are the main thing--much more freedom to explore.
Netflix Originals are also pretty rockin'!

My favorite Netflix show right now is House of Cards.
Old August 1 2014, 01:08 PM   #28
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yes.
Indeedily-doodely.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 08:12 PM   #29
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

martok2112 wrote: View Post
Netflix Originals are also pretty rockin'!

My favorite Netflix show right now is House of Cards.
I heard that Netflix is getting in on the action too. Orange is the New Black is another one.

This is what Wiki said about House of Cards :

The series is primarily about ruthless pragmatism,[6] manipulation, power and doing bad things for the greater good.
That's why you gotta like these new serialized shows--the characters, who are supposed to be the heroes of a show, have shades of grey.

A lot of times you have to root for them to do crazy things, because that seems to be the only way they can win

I still like watching trek reruns with the episodic format, but now that you think about it, with that format, everyone just sort of forgets what happened the week before and goes on to another new adventure.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2014, 10:07 PM   #30
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I'd vote on "Depends on the story" if there was such an option.

Some stories can fit and should be contained in one episode. Some require more to be properly fleshed out. Forcing one way or the other would do them a disservice.