July-August 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Pegg: Star Trek Beyond Scary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 28 2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore

Re: Picard's age:

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
...Didn't he die the day after the Enterprise NCC-1701's commissioning?...
Where did you get that from?
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 05:32 PM   #17
yenny
Captain

Picard was born in 2305.He took over the command of the Stargazer at the age of 29, when it Captain was kill. Picard had the rank of Commander at the time he took over command. On Face of the Enemy, Ensign Stefan DeSeve call Picard commander. DeSeve left the Federation and move to Romulus in 2349. Picard took over the command of the Stargazer around 2334. Cause there is no mention of a First Officer being kill? Picard himself would had been first Officer. he enter Star Fleet Academy at age 17 in 2322. Graduate in 2366. His first assignment was on board a Constitution Class Starship. Between 2366 and 2334. He is assign as First Officer of the Stargazer.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 05:40 PM   #18
yenny
Captain

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
There is no Information of when Captain George Kirk die. There is mention of him dieing sometimes after his son Captain James Kirk had gotten the command of the Enterprise. It could had been a day, a week, a month or decade.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 05:58 PM   #19
ManOnTheWave
Vice Admiral

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
In Enterprise, "In a Mirror Darkly," a scene begins where evil Archer has read Archer's biography on the Defiant. Archer's bio can be seen on the monitor.
Old July 28 2014, 06:10 PM   #20
Shat Happens
Captain

It has to do with TNG's origins. I consider 2 factors of relevance:

1) They were recycling Phase II.

In the early 70s DC Fontana said it was tactically "wrong" that the Captain would beam to dangerous planets, risking his life and leaving the ship without her commanding officer, like Kirk always did. So they created Decker (also because Shatner's salary, they weren't sure if they'd afford to keep him as the star of the show).

For TNG Decker became Riker. The captain (not Admiral Kirk) had to be older if only to justify Riker being the default character to beam into the action outside the ship.

2) in Roddenberry's future people live longer and retire older. So he made Picard older than Kirk yet still Starship Captain to signify that. Also he included Adm. McCoy in the pilot for the same reason.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Ithekro
Commodore

The historical data on Captain Archer found onboard USS Defiant has Archer die the day after watching the USS Enterprise be commissioned in 2245. He would have been around 133 years old (born 2112).
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 10:11 PM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mojochi wrote: View Post
In TNG's "All Good Things..." both Data & Worf have left Starfleet, & I think maybe Geordi too
I don't think it was really said. Worf definitely left.

Did Data leave Starfleet, or was he simply doing another job at Starfleet Academy?

As for Geordi, I don't think it really said. Did they mention his job at all? Was he retired?
Old July 29 2014, 12:08 AM   #23
at Quark's
Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
In TNG's "All Good Things..." both Data & Worf have left Starfleet, & I think maybe Geordi too
I don't think it was really said. Worf definitely left.

Did Data leave Starfleet, or was he simply doing another job at Starfleet Academy?

As for Geordi, I don't think it really said. Did they mention his job at all? Was he retired?

Data held the Lucasian Chair in Cambridge. I don't think that even in the 24th century, a position that prestigious would have been "absorbed" by starfleet (although he still could technically be in Starfleet's service, I suppose).

As for Geordi, Picard says the following line:

"Well now that you're here, you can help me carry those tools. Well, my cooking may not be up to Leah's standards, but I can still make a decent cup of tea. Oh, I read your last novel. I thought that the protagonist a little too flamboyant, but for the rest I ..." (then he sees those people taunting him)

Which implies that Geordi became a novelist (but perhaps not a full-time one).
at Quark's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 01:18 AM   #24
Ithekro
Commodore

Probably after his stint as captain of the USS Challenger (if he kept that in the timeline). Though the comic prelude for Star Trek 2009 has Laforge doing engineering work for Starfleet in that he helped design the Jellyfish.
Old July 29 2014, 02:08 AM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

at Quark's wrote: View Post

Data held the Lucasian Chair in Cambridge. I don't think that even in the 24th century, a position that prestigious would have been "absorbed" by starfleet (although he still could technically be in Starfleet's service, I suppose).
Ah, I forgot he was at Cambridge (though I had no idea what the Lucasian Chair was until I googled it just now).
Old July 29 2014, 02:22 AM   #26
Mojochi
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
They mention his grown family, Leah's appointment to director of the Daystrom Institute, & that he writes novels with flamboyant protagonists by Picard's standard

So I believe from that they're suggesting Geordi is retired from service & writing novels or they'd have mentioned a post of some kind I'd imagine
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 02:25 AM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

Fair enough. I forgot that dialogue, but I remember it now that I'm seeing it.

Sounds more like a retirement thing to me than a career change. I can't see Geordi leaving Starfleet to become a writer.
Old July 29 2014, 03:11 AM   #28
Ithekro
Commodore

Maybe he's decided to be the say at home dad. Taking a break from Starfleet to raise his kids. Being an author for those years because going back to Starfleet.
Old July 29 2014, 04:02 AM   #29
Lance
Commodore

I'm happy to go with the 'fanon' that Picard was about TOS-Kirk's age (maybe even younger) when he took Captaincy of the Stargazer. In the absence of backstories with solid canon foundations, then I think its fair game for items from the Writer's Guide to serve as a substitute, until such time as they are either confirmed or contradicted by on-screen evidence.

Picard as seen in TNG was always supposed to be a mature age man, a seasoned captain with a long career history already under his belt, although Patrick Stewart himself was actually 'playing older' than his real age. Riker was the guy who was supposed to be the young TOS-style strapping action hero.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 04:23 AM   #30
Avro Arrow
Commodore

yenny wrote: View Post
Picard had the rank of Commander at the time he took over command. On Face of the Enemy, Ensign Stefan DeSeve call Picard commander. DeSeve left the Federation and move to Romulus in 2349.
I'm pretty sure that was just because DeSeve was coming back from Romulus, and the Romulan equivalent rank to captain is "Commander". I'm reasonably sure you can't use that line to determine Picard's rank when DeSeve originally defected.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote