USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: JMS teases Babylon 5 feature film at Comic-Con

Indiana.

Indiana.

Let it go.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 09:50 PM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mary Garibaldi discovers her inner bastard as her hair begins to fall out on her 30th birthday.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 27 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 10:13 PM   #33
HaplessCrewman
Commander

If it were really going to happen, he wouldn't have mentioned it outright. Sounds like he's trying to drum up fan enthusiasm or at least evaluate the possible feasibly/profitability of such a project.

I've attended some of JMS' convention appearances and one thing is certain - he really knows how to work a crowd.

Loved his run on Marvel's Thor comic a few years back - too bad it had no ending.
Old July 27 2014, 10:53 PM   #34
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

What's all this talk about a 200 million dollar budget?! "Serenity" had a budget of less than 50 million dollars. Granted, it didn't make its money back, but still ...

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 10:57 PM   #35
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Vree return Elvis Presley who they abducted and kept on ice since 1977.

There's a huge concert.

Old July 27 2014, 11:05 PM   #36
Harvey
Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
What's all this talk about a 200 million dollar budget?! "Serenity" had a budget of less than 50 million dollars. Granted, it didn't make its money back, but still ...
It seems like an exorbitant figure, but it's the one J. Michael Straczynski gave himself, reportedly...

Jan wrote: View Post
He'll give WB the opportunity to step up, but if they don't, Studio JMS will make it in 2016 on thier own with a $1-200,000,000.00 budget.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:21 AM   #37
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
How many independently financed films have been made that cost $100-200 million and didn't have "Star Wars" in the title?
Wouldn't the Marvel Studios titles before the Disney acquisition qualify?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 02:28 AM   #38
Harvey
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
How many independently financed films have been made that cost $100-200 million and didn't have "Star Wars" in the title?
Wouldn't the Marvel Studios titles before the Disney acquisition qualify?
I think they're fair examples, although before the Disney takeover, Marvel had the backing of Paramount (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America) and Universal (The Incredible Hulk) as distributors before production began.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 03:31 AM   #39
Candlelight
Admiral

Stevil2001 wrote: View Post
Eh, after all the terrible Babylon 5-related productions to come our way since "Sleeping in Light," I just don't care anymore. What's the point? What made Babylon 5 appealing was its story, and that story is over.
That's very true, but on the flipside the universe he created was a very rich tapestry and it's a great thing to visit every now and then. Granted Crusade was slightly below par, the tv movies were largely hit and miss, and the two later spin offs failed to fire but if he's planning a reboot then we don't have to worry about that much.

I wonder if everyone will still say 'nuts' or 'hell' when they curse.
Old July 28 2014, 04:21 AM   #40
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Only Reebo and Zooty can stop the plot to blow up the President!

Old July 28 2014, 08:36 AM   #41
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Eh, after all the terrible Babylon 5-related productions to come our way since "Sleeping in Light," I just don't care anymore. What's the point? What made Babylon 5 appealing was its story, and that story is over.
That's very true, but on the flipside the universe he created was a very rich tapestry and it's a great thing to visit every now and then. Granted Crusade was slightly below par, the tv movies were largely hit and miss, and the two later spin offs failed to fire but if he's planning a reboot then we don't have to worry about that much.

It should also be noted that those failures were not a result of the material, but complications on the production side. Hell, Crusade was essentially a victim of deliberate sabotage!

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
If it were really going to happen, he wouldn't have mentioned it outright. Sounds like he's trying to drum up fan enthusiasm or at least evaluate the possible feasibly/profitability of such a project.
Quite the opposite. Over the years he's been very straight with the fans that he won't talk about things unless they're actually going to happen. Indeed, I think Jerry Doyle tried something like this a few years ago (getting a new project going by first getting people excited for the idea) and JMS was substantially less than impressed IIRC.

So when he says he's going to write a script and believes he can raise funding if WB passes, I have no reason to doubt either of those statements. That's how credibility works.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 11:14 AM   #42
Mage
Commodore

I dunno. I love B5, all the way. But JMS needs to let it go. It had a good run, still has a loyal fan base, and it will be remembered for a while to come.

But it was even stated in one of the episodes. "This is not some deep space franchise!" And it seems as if he wants to make one out of it. Me, personally? I don't think there's a story to tell anymore.
Old July 28 2014, 11:49 AM   #43
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We all saw a very sexy clip in Crusade, but we need to see a feature length version of Snow White and the Seven Narns.

It's gotta be better than Snowwhite and the Huntsman.

Old July 28 2014, 02:29 PM   #44
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Reverend wrote: View Post

It should also be noted that those failures were not a result of the material, but complications on the production side. Hell, Crusade was essentially a victim of deliberate sabotage!
Thatís more opinion than fact, by jms or anyone else who claims it. When the series succeeded (and B5 had PLENTY of production issues) that was down to things like story, scripts, actors, FX, etc. When the spin-offs and movies largely failed it was also down to things like story, script, actors FX, etc. What happened with Crusade was just nasty, and makes it a separate issue. But as for the rest, itís not as easy as blaming it on the every present production issues - itís not like B5 ever had a ton of money.
Old July 28 2014, 02:39 PM   #45
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Law of averages, right? Sooner or later, we've got to get a quality B5 product, right? Anyway, for what it's worth, I did enjoy Crusade. The rest were okay, with the exception of Legends of the Rangers, which I thought was Grey 17 is Missing (minus the Marcus/Neeron subplot, which was pure awesome) bad.

They cursed in the Veronica Mars movie.

"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote