Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 18 2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Sisko-Kira-Dax Triumvirate?

The triumvirate paradigm doesn't work nearly as well in DS9 as it does in the other Trek series. First, there's the whole ensemble cast thing. Second, less of the drama takes place in single locations.

Nonetheless, it feels like there may have been some attempt to elucidate a three person grouping at the series inception: Sisko and two advisers/confidants. Of the remaining men in the cast, no one was close enough or important enough to guide Sisko's decisions. On the other hand, Kira was a necessary adviser and Dax was a long-time acquaintance and friend.

Now, the paradigm doesn't hold up well over time. The characterization of Dax was off, and the actress wasn't always up to the task (by her own admission). Dax makes a great comeback in season 6. In the meantime, Odo and Worf are much closer to Sisko, but their personal stories take over.

Even if Dax fell out for a while, it still seems that the series was intended to look like a man of color and two women leading the action, making it more progressive than other versions of Trek.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 03:02 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Sisko-Kira-Dax Triumvirate?

I don't really think any of the series had a particular strong grouping of 3 characters beyond Kirk/Spock/McCoy in TOS.

Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all had unique relationships with members of their crew, but I can't think of any that I would lump together like the "Big 3."

Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker come close, but they're the only ones.
Old July 18 2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^I think that the other series had strong triumvirates even if the casts were more balanced than the original series. Most major actions/decisions were made by Picard-Riker-Data, and clearly Riker and Data were Picard's closest advisers on official matters. The same could be said of Janeway-Chakotay-Tuvok. It's not that other crewmembers did not matter, or that the captain did not have personal relationships with them. It's that some crewmembers had the captain's ear in the way that others did not. Indeed, my proposed DS9 triumvirate (as weak as it was) resembles the other series: one leader (Sisko, Janeway, Archer), one long-time friend (Dax, Tuvok, Trip), one honest, dedicated adversary that has been foisted on them (Kira, Chakotay, T'Pol). Thesis-antithesis-synthesis: Hegel would be proud.
Old July 18 2014, 06:03 PM   #4
varek
Commander

I could see Sisko and a Bajoran officer, here Kira, working closely together. Otherwise, Sisko would work with other Starfleet personnel--and the Prophets, of course.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 06:16 PM   #5
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

For me, only TOS has the "big three" thing going on with any significance. Maybe TNG has a bit of it with P/R/D, but the other shows don't come close. Certainly, DS9 would be the Trek that shys away from the "triumvirate" format the most.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; July 18 2014 at 06:56 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 06:30 PM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

DS9's crew was always given more functional roles than in the other shows. That is, in other shows, when they have a mission they just throw together all the main characters regardless of whether their position is mission appropriate. In DS9 more so than other series the characters appropriate for the mission are present, with the glaring exception of Kira's constant presence on the Defiant. So whereas TOS and TNG tended to have all stories flow through the central command structure, DS9 would take groups of any two or three characters in isolation and write the story through their eyes.

And Odo and Quark are the real main characters anyway.

And Voyager's triumvirate was Janeway/Doctor/Seven.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
And Voyager's triumvirate was Janeway/Doctor/Seven.
Er ... the Doctor is the more important character as the series goes on, but we seldom see Janeway going to the Doctor for command decisions.

ETA: perhaps I should be more precise: I'm not so much interested in which actors (and their characters) occupy the premier space on the marquee, but rather how the characters interact with one another.
Old July 18 2014, 07:00 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

The reason the original "Big 3" works for me, though, is not just Spock and McCoy's relationship with Kirk, but also their relationship with each other. They make up a trio.

Janeway is close with Chakotay, and Janeway is close with Tuvok...but Chakotay and Tuvok barely have a relationship at all.
Old July 18 2014, 11:29 PM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

It's not the same in DS9 and Voyager though because the three highest ranking people on the ship are not the people who are a cohesive team on away missions.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy were out in the field together. That can't be said for the main characters of any other Trek show. Picard and Riker made decisions on the bridge, but it was more Riker in command on away missions with Data and Worf, and whichever character the episode focused on was the primary decision maker. Dax's advice to Sisko was usually given as a personal check rather than a professional check, and Kira didn't have the same relationship with Sisko because she was the advocate for Bajoran interests. Again, whichever character the episode focused on was the decision maker. Same with Voyager, they didn't beam down to the planet with Janeway, Chakotay and Tuvok. Chakotay was a lapdog except when Janeway was acting especially crazy and Tuvok was more like Dax.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 12:41 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Now, if it had been Curzon Dax, I could see a DS9 "big three" between him, Sisko, and Kira...

Curzon Dax (id)
Kira (ego)
Sisko (super ego)
Old July 19 2014, 04:39 AM   #11
Ro_Laren
Commodore

Bad Thoughts: Seeing as Jadzia died at the end of the 6th season, in your view was Ezri a part of the Big 3 during the 7th season?
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 02:33 AM   #12
dub
Fleet Captain

The cast (and extended cast) was way too awesome for the writers to focus on only 3 characters.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Trek Survivor
Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
For me, only TOS has the "big three" thing going on with any significance. Maybe TNG has a bit of it with P/R/D, but the other shows don't come close. Certainly, DS9 would be the Trek that shys away from the "triumvirate" format the most.
Wha? Enterprise definitely has it with Archer, T'Pol and Trip.
Old July 22 2014, 01:13 PM   #14
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Wha? Enterprise definitely has it with Archer, T'Pol and Trip.
Yes, you're right - there's definitely a vibe in ENT. For some reason, I didn't consider it when I made my post.
Old July 22 2014, 03:03 PM   #15
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
Bad Thoughts: Seeing as Jadzia died at the end of the 6th season, in your view was Ezri a part of the Big 3 during the 7th season?
Given that my observations only concern the first 5-10 episodes, Ezri is superfluous to my question.

Moreover, by the "final chapters" arc, most of the characters are working individually. I think that Kira and Odo are taking the lead in the action aspects of the episode, but they are not forming a working unit with Sisko.

Perhaps I should, once again, be clear that there is no clear triumvirate, just the outline of one in the first season.