Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 23 2014, 04:46 AM   #16
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: Spock ponfarred Saavik but she cant have been impregnated

borgboy wrote: View Post
The idea that all the major species share a common ancestor in their seeding does smooth the way a bit to allow for fertile hybrids imo.
We share a common ancestor with every lifeform on
Earth.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Push The Button
Fleet Captain

I thought that Pon Farr had more to do with the telepathic bonding to a mate than intercourse.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 06:03 AM   #18
Ithekro
Commodore

It was for mating though, otherwise there would be little logic behind this biological function. Spock hoped he'd be spared it because of his human blood, but he was not. He might have just had a very long and irregular cycle. Maybe another reason T'Pring was upset....so long between matings.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 09:29 AM   #19
Timo
Admiral

The ST3 mating with Saavik is proof enough that there is no seven-year or even sevenish-year (say, 23-year) cycle for Spock: not only is the onset timed drastically differently from the "Amok Time" one, he only did the nasty with the poor girl once (cf. time concerns), despite aging past several seven-year markers, indeed, past several decades.

It may well be that there is no cycle for any Vulcans as such, when it comes to copulating: the cycle may only apply to mating, that is, finding a mate, and will go on hold once a mate is found, wed, and remains in telepathic contact.

As for hybrids and their fertility, we know that Gul Dukhat had unwanted offspring with his Bajoran lover. Did she secretly take "unilateral proceptives" or what? Where did she obtain those, imprisoned with Dukhat in his orbital fortress? The case is proof enough that the need for medical treatment in hybrid conception is not extensive, although it might still exist.

If Spock conceived a child on Planet Genesis, medical intervention may have been required - but may also have been available. Perhaps Saavik had been planning on having a child with somebody out of her species, possibly David, and had already been taking the necessary medication?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 03:47 PM   #20
mos6507
Captain

The Trek III situation can't be used as a barometer of Pon Farr. The guy was aging so rapidly how could you expect him to behave in a standard rhythm?
Old July 23 2014, 04:41 PM   #21
Marsden
Fleet Captain

Holy handjobs! Why would Saavik even need to have the possiblity of becoming pregnant? Really, a happy ending and Spock is fine.

"They worship Blue Oysters"
Marsden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 06:08 PM   #22
Kevman7987
Captain

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Marsden wrote: View Post
Holy handjobs! Why would Saavik even need to have the possiblity of becoming pregnant? Really, a happy ending and Spock is fine.
Hmm. If Saavik and David were using the transporter to become a redshirt with two backs, David and Saavik may have had space-condoms in their supply bags and/or coat pockets. Saavik just used one she had on her to suit up little-Spock for EVA.
Old July 23 2014, 06:31 PM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Shat Happens wrote: View Post
Ack! I went to MA to do research on your question and this guy appeared in my screen: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alexander

According to MA, K'Ehleyr was conceived via medical help: .
Is that from a episode or movie?

Or just another case of the people at MemoryAlpha making shit up out of thin air?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 09:31 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

Is what from an episode?

The bit about medical help comes from dialogue with Deanna Troi in "The Emissary":

Troi: "I didn't know it was possible for a human and a Klingon to produce a child."
K'Ehleyr: "Actually, the DNA is compatible, with a fair amount of help. Rather like my parents."
Troi: "I know exactly what you mean. My father was human and my mother is a Betazoid."
Based on this, it seems that some species pairs can mate with medical help, while others can mate without, and yet others never can create offspring. (We can't tell whether humans and Betazoids require medical help, too, or whether Deanna's parents merely required the other sort of help to be compatible as individuals; might be both.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 11:44 PM   #25
2takesfrakes
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
another case of the people at MemoryAlpha making shit up out of thin air?
What? For real? I was always under the impression that MemoryAlpha was the Online Mecca for all things STAR TREK? Everything gone over with a fine-toothed comb. References checked ... and rechecked! Because I can't be bothered to purchase, much less read and have every page and paragraph memorized from whatever MAKING of STAR TREK books are out and around.
Old July 24 2014, 03:30 AM   #26
austen_pierce
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Until this thread, I never realized 'Pon Farr' could be used in the form of a verb.
Beat me to it!

mos6507 wrote: View Post
The Trek III situation can't be used as a barometer of Pon Farr. The guy was aging so rapidly how could you expect him to behave in a standard rhythm?
Guys are always going too fast.
Old July 24 2014, 04:57 AM   #27
Shat Happens
Captain

I just watched "Blood Fever" (voy) inspired by this topic and I only confirmed B'Ellana is HOT. Otherwise I have nothing to add to the thread.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 06:38 AM   #28
Lance
Commodore

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Until this thread, I never realized 'Pon Farr' could be used in the form of a verb.
Beat me to it!
Sometimes I feel like I want to Ponn Farr and my gf wants to Ponn Farr too. Other times, I have to Ponn Farr all by myself.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 01:41 PM   #29
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

On the surface I can't see why Spock is sterile while B'Elanna and K'Ehleyr produced children presumably without intervention.

My own canon is maybe Spock, B'Elanna, Troi and K'Ehleyr require some medical intervention but then they were designed perfectly able to have children.
This theory is to fit in the world of Star Trek existing canon where it is possible to mix species..
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 08:34 PM   #30
Ithekro
Commodore

On the topic of Saavik, Robin Curtis is nice looking and all, but Kirstie Alley had some really sexy hair back then.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote