Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2014, 10:59 AM   #16
Khan 2.0
Commander

Re: most 'Twilight Zone' episodes..

Christopher wrote: View Post
By the way, it's Rod Serling, not Sterling.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

CaliburnCY wrote: View Post
I don't think this significantly changes your overall point, Christopher, that people who weren't previously fans like Nicholas Meyer and many others can do justice to Trek; I just think it's an important factoid where Harve Bennett's Trek affiliation is concerned.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to remember that so I don't make that mistake again. But I think it reinforces my point: Filmmakers don't work in a vacuum. Even if the director of a Trek film isn't a fan, he's working with other people who are -- Bennett for Meyer, Orci and Lindelof for Abrams. Between that and the fact that research is a thing that exists, it's doubly nonsensical to claim that only an established fan of a franchise can direct a good film therein.

And I still say that being too much of a fan can be a bad thing for a director, because it can blind them to their indulgences and lead them to value nostalgia over originality. Superman Returns was a disappointment because it was just a very expensive Richard Donner fan film rather than a fresh new approach to the concept. And Into Darkness's biggest problems were its fannish indulgences, the intrusive homages to TWOK. The fact that Roberto Orci is a rabid Trek fan is the main thing that makes me wary of the idea of letting him direct the third film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 03:20 PM   #18
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

And I still say that being too much of a fan can be a bad thing for a director, because it can blind them to their indulgences and lead them to value nostalgia over originality. Superman Returns was a disappointment because it was just a very expensive Richard Donner fan film rather than a fresh new approach to the concept. And Into Darkness's biggest problems were its fannish indulgences, the intrusive homages to TWOK. The fact that Roberto Orci is a rabid Trek fan is the main thing that makes me wary of the idea of letting him direct the third film.
Superman Returns didn't fail because it was a fan film, it failed because it sucked. Superman was a peeping tom, a bit of an antagonist (his fortress of solitude's lack of security allowed Luther to ravage costal states and right after the world accepted they didn't need Superman too), he was conveniently immune to Kryptonite (which was inside of him), and to this day, I still have no idea why Lex didn't cut off Superman's head when he had a chance.

Deleted Superman Returns scene:
Minion: Yeah, once. We were physically able to beat him up. We could have found some kryptonite clubs nearby and beaten him into a fine paste and then removed his head to be sure. Now all this uncertainty is bothering me.
Luther: What's the worst that could happen?

(Ground starts to shake)

Minion: *sigh* And honestly boss, did you really think the nations of the world would let you keep this island, especially after they find out you knew the creation of this island would destroy the existing lands around it? I mean, America has invaded countries for far less.
Luther: You're pretty smart for a minion.

(Then a bolder falls on the minion before he could make more sense.)

Last edited by bbjeg; July 22 2014 at 03:33 PM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

But I do think that one of Superman Returns's failings is that it coasted rather too heavily on nostalgia for the 1978 film. Sure, I got all choked up and misty-eyed when the old John Williams theme kicked in, but I imagine that much of the movie fell flat for modern audiences, who hadn't been weaned on the Reeve movies.

And, yeah, the idea that you have to be a lifelong fan to do justice to some beloved franchise is just silly. As Christopher noted, research is a thing that exists.
Old July 22 2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

In Luthor's defense, he couldn't possibly have anticipated that a man who was weakened by the proximity of kryptonite would be able to lift an entire land mass made of kryptonite over his head and throw it into space, because that would be completely self-contradictory and ridiculous.

As for the Williams theme, I rather hated SR's use of it. Because it didn't do anything interesting with it, didn't do variations or adaptations of it to suit the action, just mechanically quoted the basic theme whenever Superman did anything super. The previous composers who'd worked with the Williams theme -- Ken Thorne and Alexander Courage -- both found far more interesting ways to play around with it than John Ottman did (or was allowed to do by Singer?).

Old July 22 2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Also, this thread sounds like it should be in the General Trek forum (maybe Miscellaneous).
Yeah, this topic is all over the map. Star Trek, ST Films, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone...now we're on to Superman.

It should go somewhere, I'm just not sure where...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Also, this thread sounds like it should be in the General Trek forum (maybe Miscellaneous).
Yeah, this topic is all over the map. Star Trek, ST Films, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone...now we're on to Superman.

It should go somewhere, I'm just not sure where...

Maybe the Phantom Zone . . .
Old July 22 2014, 04:48 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

SF/Fantasy, maybe, but not Miscellaneous.

But the Superman Returns discussion isn't completely off-topic, since Bryan Singer is developing a new Twilight Zone revival. Although there hasn't been much news about that project lately, so it might be stalled.

Old July 22 2014, 05:40 PM   #24
CaliburnCY
Cadet

Sorry for my part in taking the thread further off topic. I'm still learning how things work here, so I don't know if splitting threads is normal here or not, but if a Moderator wanted to split the posts into two threads, I think the split threads could form two coherent lines of conversation:

1) Which episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series are most like the Twilight Zone? Around this, there was also a bit of relevant discussion about The Outer Limits as well.

2) A side conversation beginning with post #5 and continued in its replies (#9, 15, 17-20) about non-fans making films. This is where the TWOK and Superman Returns discussions come in.

On topic, I'm no expert on The Twilight Zone, but I would agree that Spectre of the Gun is an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series that has a Twilight Zone-esque feeling to it. Maybe The Return of the Archons, too.

Last edited by CaliburnCY; July 23 2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Changed "The Original Series" to "Star Trek: The Original Series" to prevent confusion
CaliburnCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 08:10 PM   #25
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I think we'll just send it over to our pals in SFF...
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 02:15 AM   #26
diankra
Commodore

on the OT, back in 96, I interviewed Brannon Braga and he said he wanted to write Trek a bit like the Twilight Zone. Looking at Frame of Mind and some Voyager I can see it, but including the particle sweep cure for the oddness does tend to undermine it.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote