RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 428
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old July 20 2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Re: Enterprise as a prequel to the reboot movies?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
"These Are the Voyages" directly links ENT to TNG: "The Pegasus".
I don't think that's a good example. Apart from Troi's completely different hairstyle, the TNG parts of TATV don't fit into The Pegasus at all. If anything, that's even more proof that Enterprise did NOT evolve into TOS/TNG!
Old July 20 2014, 11:45 AM   #17
Khan 2.0
Commander

As for ENT-new movie links, I love how the "Borderland"/"Cold Station 12"/"The Augments" Augment trilogy works just as well as a prequel to Star Trek Into Darkness as it does for "Space Seed"/Wrath of Khan. The effortless Klingon-whupping and Soong's comment about how easily Henry Archer's illness could have been cured (much like the little girl is) work as excellent foreshadowings to events in Into Darkness.
Yes I also noticed this
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=8687203#post8687203
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's a major disruption to my personal timeline.
LOL
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The reboot movies have gone to great lengths to explain how events stem from Nero's arrival - be it Khan being found and woken early after Vulcan was destroyed, Section 31 building a massive facility beneath the USS Kelvin Memorial Archive, or even why Kirk didn't join Starfleet until his 20's.
If this is referring to the comic book series, I wouldn't credit the films to going to great lengths at all.
Old July 20 2014, 02:15 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
"These Are the Voyages" directly links ENT to TNG: "The Pegasus".
I don't think that's a good example. Apart from Troi's completely different hairstyle, the TNG parts of TATV don't fit into The Pegasus at all. If anything, that's even more proof that Enterprise did NOT evolve into TOS/TNG!
Hey, poorly conceived and badly executed canon is still canon!
The reboot movies have gone to great lengths to explain how events stem from Nero's arrival - be it Khan being found and woken early after Vulcan was destroyed, Section 31 building a massive facility beneath the USS Kelvin Memorial Archive, or even why Kirk didn't join Starfleet until his 20's.
If this is referring to the comic book series, I wouldn't credit the films to going to great lengths at all.
Nope, it's 100% from the movie itself. I haven't read the comics.

Also, the "Mudd Incident" ship has the same silhouette as Harry Mudd's ship from "Mudd's Woman" - is it the same ship, but with it's shields down? I like to think so.

(the ID ship is upside-down in this shot)

They even filmed a scene where Carol explains why she has a British accent (it was part of Kirk and Carol's walk to the shuttlebay) but it was cut.
Old July 20 2014, 02:19 PM   #21
borgboy
Fleet Captain

So Enterprise is a prequel to all other Trek, except sometimes it isn't.
Oi, my head hurts.
Old July 20 2014, 02:29 PM   #22
Melakon
Vice Admiral

My head started hurting when all these reboot threads for TNG, DS9, and VOY started trying to make them fit the JJ Verse.
Old July 20 2014, 04:23 PM   #23
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I also think that the Enterprise timeline (created by the events in First Contact) leads us to the AbramsVerse, and not to TOS/TNG.
Since the events of ST:FC were part of what was supposed to happen all along (can't be proven otherwise, anyway), this is not likely.

The only divergence is in 2233, which is ST XI.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 12:20 PM   #24
austen_pierce
Captain

borgboy wrote: View Post
In this theory we account for why NX-01 is so advanced compared to TOS
The technology in most people's living rooms an home offices is advanced compared to TOS. We are at odds with ourselves when demanding that TOS remain exactly as filmed in the 1960s AND that ENT show us something credible from the future.

Last edited by austen_pierce; July 23 2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: fixed quote
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 01:18 PM   #25
Trek Survivor
Captain

[QUOTE=austen_pierce;9873751]
Lance wrote: View Post
The technology in most people's living rooms an home offices is advanced compared to TOS. We are at odds with ourselves when demanding that TOS remain exactly as filmed in the 1960s AND that ENT show us something credible from the future.
Very good point. People need to get over this and invoke suspension of disbelief. TOS was filmed in the 1960s - to demand a 'prequel' series filmed 35 years later to hold exactly to what was presented in terms of a technological future then would be silly.

I think Enterprise fits in just fine with all the other Treks (and stands proudly with them to boot). There's the odd bit which doesn't quite fit, but no more than all the other series together.

A lot of Trek fans seem to have impossible standards; that the producers of all Trek managed to create this fictional future universe and make it all fit-more-or-less across 42 years (1964-2005) of production is incredible.
Old July 22 2014, 04:40 PM   #26
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
"In a Mirror, Darkly" has the MU crew amazed by the USS Defiant. It's not less advanced at all - to them, TOS is amazing futuristic technology-meets-art. It neatly explains why every Trek looks the way it does, from the bright colours, toggle switches and clunky buttons of TOS to the hotel lobby of TNG to the bright lights and swirly animated touchscreens of the new movies - it's all the whim of futuristic artist/designers.

Doctor Who's ever-changing TARDIS is another example of how the same technology can be made to look either futuristic or bizarre.
Old July 22 2014, 06:24 PM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The TCW also has already started before "Broken Bow" opens, so there may be yet another version of prequel events following Vulcan first contact.
Its been happening all through time before and after "Broken Bow". The version that Kirk knows is the one from "Broken Bow".
Perhaps not, through out TOS, TNG, etc (and TAS as well) there are reference to Humanity not sitting on their hands for a century, but instead exploding outward into interstellar space basically as soon as a warp drive was invented/discovered.

It's hard to reconcile the information in the first four live action series with that presented in the fifth.

In the first four series the century of being "held back" by the Vulcans apparently never happen.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 06:31 PM   #28
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I never heard anything that specific being said to contradict Enterprise.

The movie First Contact has Cochrane being convinced of the value of his work, but Riker, Troi & Geordi aren't really suggesting it would all change overnight. More a case of one day this event would enable fleets of ships would be built. Poverty, disease etc all gone in the years to come. But none of it happening, without Cochrane basically attracting the Vulcans' attention.

When you say TOS and TNG reference humanity not sitting on their hands, well it depends... Humanity is a broad term and obviously some still could've gone off at Warp 1, in suspended animation or generational ships to set up colonies. That would be "Up the Long Ladder" wouldn't it? See "Terra Nova" as an example of some people who didn't sit on their hands, but who weren't anywhere near as successful. See those boomers born to families working on Cargo Ships, for more who aren't staying at home.

That idea of humanity being held back by the Vulcans, seems to be more Archer perspective, coloured by the fact he doesn't think Starfleet is doing enough to meet his own Warp 5 ambitions. Others independent of that organisation are out there, as far as Warp 2 and a long-term commitment to hardly ever returning to Earth will allow. Humans are already off world and in neighbouring systems. Vega colony seems to be implied to as far away, and during the NX-01's early missions to make the new breakthrough range clear, remarked by Admiral Forrest as a long way behind them.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; July 22 2014 at 07:24 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Oso Blanco
Commodore

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
And that's exactly why they should never have attempted a prequel in the first place!
Old July 23 2014, 01:33 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The TCW also has already started before "Broken Bow" opens, so there may be yet another version of prequel events following Vulcan first contact.
Its been happening all through time before and after "Broken Bow". The version that Kirk knows is the one from "Broken Bow".
Perhaps not, through out TOS, TNG, etc (and TAS as well) there are reference to Humanity not sitting on their hands for a century, but instead exploding outward into interstellar space basically as soon as a warp drive was invented/discovered.

It's hard to reconcile the information in the first four live action series with that presented in the fifth.

In the first four series the century of being "held back" by the Vulcans apparently never happen.

If we're using that metric, then certain episodes of TOS don't reconcile with the information in the first four live action series.

Of course Humanity wasn't sitting on its hands. The ECS was out there trading with Draylax,Teneebian moons and Trillius Prime and with Earth colonies like Vega and, Deneva.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote