Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 21 2014, 04:22 PM   #31
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: New unofficial Making of TMP book

the new thread idea is a good one, this topic is interesting enough with just the Jones-related stuff.

One thing that is only hinted at in various places is how Joe Jennings being replaced seems to be mainly because of his clashing with the Abel group. He never addresses this, but someplace (perhaps a Mike Minor interview from way back), there is an explicit mention of art dept vs Abel leading to art dept shakeup ... then again, I imagine Wise wanted somebody with major motion picture credits anyway, so maybe that was just a matter of time anyway.

In the FILMFAX piece, Bob Baker mentions how shoddily he was treated (building the IN THY IMAGE puppets that invade the Enterprise that were designed by Mike Minor) by Abel's people.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 04:30 PM   #32
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just wanted to clarify that the scans I made were provided to the Memory Alpha website, not the Otten website. My mistake and my post has been corrected.

Yes Trevanian, I will start a new thread soon!
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 04:30 PM   #33
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Preordered.
Old July 21 2014, 06:05 PM   #34
mos6507
Captain

Cawley posted a rare photo or two on Facebook of the Phase II sets. I think it was the engine room or the transporter. Unfortunately FB doesn't make it easy to dig up old posts, but they were fascinating.

Update:

I found the Phase II set concepts/photos.

Last edited by mos6507; July 21 2014 at 06:23 PM.
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 06:22 PM   #35
inflatabledalek
Captain

Ordered on the grounds that, even though I'm not a huge TMP fan I do find all the behind the scenes shenanigans hugely interesting (more so than the film in many ways), so this should be a great read.
Old July 21 2014, 07:05 PM   #36
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Forgot about the Richard Taylor interview from last year, there's a pic of the Magicam model of vger based on Minor's design, for P2, then abandoned.
http://beyondthemarquee.com/21244/tmp-rt-mr-vger2/
Old July 21 2014, 07:24 PM   #37
mos6507
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Forgot about the Richard Taylor interview from last year, there's a pic of the Magicam model of vger based on Minor's design, for P2, then abandoned.
What I see in this is the hexagonal motif that may have been carried over to the "stepping-stones" at the end of the movie. Trumbull's model didn't really have much of a hexagonal pattern.
Old July 22 2014, 01:53 AM   #38
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike Minor concept art for V'ger.

[H]e also got a picture of the building that was going to be used as Starfleet in IN THY IMAGE, an angular place called the Fluor Building.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...uorCorpHQ1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...uorCorpHQ2.jpg

Presumably matte paintings would have been used to futurize the upper floors of the buildings as well as to replace the 1970s Orange County background with 23rd century San Francisco.

Last edited by JJTrek4ever!; July 22 2014 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added FluorCorp info.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 02:06 AM   #39
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Wonder what happened to those models.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 02:24 AM   #40
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maurice wrote: View Post
Considering how flimsy that thing looked the remains probably ended up in a Paramount dumpster after somebody accidentally belched on it during a snack break.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 02:27 AM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Those Fluor shots must be from the back of the building, the other pic in the mag looks a lot more interesting (in an upscaled Glen Larson/BuckRogers kinda way.)

They were going to come down with a powers of ten shot through space to San Francisco and I guess dissolve into an overhead of Fluor like it was a part of the Bay Area instead of being in SoCal. That would have been a Yuricich matte painting (this is when Collins was directing, I guess at the point when MY was asked if the camera could FLY AROUND TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE BUILDING DURING THE MATTE SHOT [insert whatever google-eyed emoticon is most relevant here]), and presumably any ground-level wide shots would have involved his brush too. I think the advantage with Fluor was that in addition to being distinctive with its exterior, the interior has a geometric futuristic look (imagine Museum of Modern Art if it were a Borg construct.)

I gotta get my scanner fixed ...

Maybe the Fluor bldg in SoCal has gotten changed ... the fluor page DOES have a cool looking building, but it is their Texas locale, the SoCal one doesn't look like anything in this image.
http://www.fluor.com/about_fluor/loc...s/default.aspx
(you might have to click on the map after clicking on LOCATIONS to get the pics to come up.)
Old July 22 2014, 02:30 AM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
Considering how flimsy that thing looked the remains probably ended up in a Paramount dumpster after somebody accidentally belched on it during a snack break.
Magicam was a union shop, I'm sure it was properly armatured. It might have been a little crooked (that's a reference to how badly they originally built the K'tinga), but I dispute your conclusion. Also, ain't the honeycomb design supposed to be extra strong?
Old July 22 2014, 02:35 AM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post

Magicam was a union shop, I'm sure it was properly armatured. It might have been a little crooked (that's a reference to how badly they originally built the K'tinga), but I dispute your conclusion. Also, ain't the honeycomb design supposed to be extra strong?
He just tries too hard to be funny... and isn't.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 03:22 AM   #44
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I can sympathize; I keep milking a joke I came up with nearly 20 years ago, and I ALWAYS hit it too hard (to be fair, when your joke is a pun dependent on the jokee knowing the defining moment of Sophie's Choice, you're begging for failure.)

I'm much better with stream-of-consciousness throwaways (which when I read it just now makes me think I'm describing a condom for the cerebellum ... buh-dum-bah!)
Old July 22 2014, 04:12 AM   #45
Captrek
Rear Admiral

OK, I'll bite. What's the Sophie's Choice joke?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote