RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,610
Posts: 5,682,391
Members: 25,646
Currently online: 415
Newest member: Marine

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time and Again
By: Michelle on Apr 25

USS Enterprise Model To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 31 2014, 01:27 AM   #1
PCz911
Commander
 
PCz911's Avatar
 
TMP civilian clothes

It has been pointed out to me that the "civilian" clothing in TMP bear an uncanny resemblance to those from 'Logans run' (note the air tram scene and the extras)

Was this just a coincidence? A function of 70s style? Any ideas?
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP civilian clothes

I don't see any resemblance. TMP clothing is dull and mute, with browns, grays, etc.

In Logan's Run, people wear the same color clothing as what's shown on their "life clock":

- Birth to age 8: white (clear)
- Ages 8 to 16: yellow
- Ages 16 to 24: green
- Ages 24 to 30: red

Nowhere in TMP, that I can see, does anyone wear 'sharp' colors like yellow, green or red.
__________________
Scotty, don't beam me up yet! I'm taking a sh
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2014, 05:07 PM   #3
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Even the equivalent colors among the Starfleet uniforms are muddied, washed out, or darkened. Yellow becomes mustard/beige, green that sallow grey/green in engineering, and the red becomes almost brown, like rust.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2014, 11:52 PM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP civilian clothes

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Even the equivalent colors among the Starfleet uniforms are muddied, washed out, or darkened. Yellow becomes mustard/beige, green that sallow grey/green in engineering, and the red becomes almost brown, like rust.
No, the three division colours of TOS became six divisions in TMP, but represented only in the background circle of the insignia patch and the epaulettes (ie. command white, sciences orange, medical green, engineering red, ship's services yellow, security grey). Blue was avoided because, with the early bluescreens, the old science blue uniform would have been problematic.

The uniform colours are not meant to be reminiscent of TOS at all, and the ship's officers are supposedly able to choose whether they wore the beige or blue/grey (hence Ilia and the Rhaandarite bridge ensign wear blue/grey, and Decker did some publicity shots in beige), with medical and engineering utility uniforms being white, non-com crew being brown and starbase personnel green.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 01:25 AM   #5
PCz911
Commander
 
PCz911's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0135.jpg

Sorry, I should have provided the visual link
Look at the clothing of the extras. Logan's run....or the local health spa?
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 03:00 AM   #6
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander
 
Shon T'Hara's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

PCz911 wrote: View Post
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0135.jpg

Sorry, I should have provided the visual link
Look at the clothing of the extras. Logan's run....or the local health spa?
Roddenberry sure was convinced that guys would be wearing skirts in the future.
__________________
My blog | Goodreads
What will the producers of Star Trek: Voyager do now that Tupac is dead?
-Lucy A. Snyder
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Shat Happens
Captain
 
Shat Happens's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

PCz911 wrote: View Post
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0135.jpg

Sorry, I should have provided the visual link
Look at the clothing of the extras. Logan's run....or the local health spa?
hey, that Sonak guy was thin, wasn't he?
__________________
Right now, there is a virtually invisible network which links together millions of people who would otherwise be completely isolated from each other.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 08:28 AM   #8
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Ru ru, chu wrote: View Post
I don't see any resemblance. TMP clothing is dull and mute, with browns, grays, etc.

In Logan's Run, people wear the same color clothing as what's shown on their "life clock":

- Birth to age 8: white (clear)
- Ages 8 to 16: yellow
- Ages 16 to 24: green
- Ages 24 to 30: red

Nowhere in TMP, that I can see, does anyone wear 'sharp' colors like yellow, green or red.
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Even the equivalent colors among the Starfleet uniforms are muddied, washed out, or darkened. Yellow becomes mustard/beige, green that sallow grey/green in engineering, and the red becomes almost brown, like rust.
No, the three division colours of TOS became six divisions in TMP, but represented only in the background circle of the insignia patch and the epaulettes (ie. command white, sciences orange, medical green, engineering red, ship's services yellow, security grey). Blue was avoided because, with the early bluescreens, the old science blue uniform would have been problematic.

The uniform colours are not meant to be reminiscent of TOS at all, and the ship's officers are supposedly able to choose whether they wore the beige or blue/grey (hence Ilia and the Rhaandarite bridge ensign wear blue/grey, and Decker did some publicity shots in beige), with medical and engineering utility uniforms being white, non-com crew being brown and starbase personnel green.
I was referencing Riu Riu Chiu's (mods please make the appropriate change after the holidays) quote above mine, and meant the color palette used in the film rather than the uniform colors carrying over from the series. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 06:57 PM   #9
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: More than slightly off center
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Shat Happens wrote: View Post

hey, that Sonak guy was thin, wasn't he?
A couple of thick steaks would have him looking healthy in no time.


Forgot, he didn't have time.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Vger23
Commander
 
Vger23's Avatar
 
Location: New England
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Proceed 033-03

There is no Sanctuary
__________________
I am KEEROCK!!
Vger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Orphalesion
Captain
 
Orphalesion's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Isn't there a trope for that?

It's called Crystal Spires and Togas and both Logan's Run and TMP are listed as examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SpiresAndTogas
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The uniform colours are not meant to be reminiscent of TOS at all, and the ship's officers are supposedly able to choose whether they wore the beige or blue/grey (hence Ilia and the Rhaandarite bridge ensign wear blue/grey, and Decker did some publicity shots in beige), with medical and engineering utility uniforms being white, non-com crew being brown and starbase personnel green.
I always thought that officers and crew in TMP got to wear pretty much whatever color uniform they wanted. Actual *division* colors are only shown in a little circle on the shoulders (where the rank stripes also are).

Starfleet uniforms as seen in TMP are a mishmash of white, gray, brown, beige, etc. which appear to have nothing to do with rank or position.
__________________
Scotty, don't beam me up yet! I'm taking a sh
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2015, 02:28 AM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I always thought that officers and crew in TMP got to wear pretty much whatever color uniform they wanted. Actual *division* colors are only shown in a little circle on the shoulders (where the rank stripes also are).

Starfleet uniforms as seen in TMP are a mishmash of white, gray, brown, beige, etc. which appear to have nothing to do with rank or position.
Which is what I said. Yes, "in a little circle" behind the insignia" and "on the shoulders" (ie. epaulets). Although I also recall Robert Fletcher saying the brown rec deck uniforms were not for officers. And green was reserved for starbase personnel (ie. Rhaandarite officer with scanner when Kirk beams up to the Office complex).
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Therin of Andor; January 2 2015 at 02:39 AM.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 05:48 AM   #14
PCz911
Commander
 
PCz911's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Orphalesion wrote: View Post
Isn't there a trope for that?

It's called Crystal Spires and Togas and both Logan's Run and TMP are listed as examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SpiresAndTogas
What a fantastic link! This is soooooo true.
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 05:51 AM   #15
PCz911
Commander
 
PCz911's Avatar
 
Re: TMP civilian clothes

Shon T'Hara wrote: View Post
PCz911 wrote: View Post
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture0135.jpg

Sorry, I should have provided the visual link
Look at the clothing of the extras. Logan's run....or the local health spa?
Roddenberry sure was convinced that guys would be wearing skirts in the future.
That probably accounts for that male extra who had to wear the skirt in TNG
PCz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.