Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Eve Faces Backlash For Jenner Comments

Frakes: Forget About Trek On TV

Worf Vinyl Bust Bank
By: T'Bonz on Apr 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 25 2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Boyhood

12 years in the making/filming! I can't wait to see this film. I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater's and this looks like it's going to be one of his best. Such a cool idea for a movie. The trailer finally came out today.

Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: Boyhood

I only heard about this yesterday really, but as a fan of the Before trilogy I'll definitely be giving this a look
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 10:08 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

That's a cool, and quite risky, concept.

Reminds me that they should reshoot all the future scenes for TNG's "All Good Things" for the blu ray version.
Old April 29 2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Ethros
Vice Admiral

While on the subject of Linklater, anyone know why in the UK Before Midnight came out on DVD but not Blu-ray?

Pretty much everything gets released on both, and it's available in the US, but for some reason you can only get the DVD here; it's annoying (as I have my movies in chronological order and everything post-2009 I have on Blu-ray, so it would ruin the aesthetics of my shelf )
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

That is strange it hasn't been released on Blu-Ray for the UK. I'm not entirely sure, but isn't it true that unlike DVD players, Blu-Ray players will play foreign Blu-Rays? I swear I read that somewhere. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject can confirm.

Also surprising is Before Sunrise and Before Sunset aren't available on Blu-Ray, in any country. And then there is Linklater's sUburbia, which isn't even available on DVD, just VHS.

I'm really hoping those all get a proper release some day.
Old July 11 2014, 04:43 AM   #6
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Wow! Boyhood is at 100% at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boyhood/ . 77 reviews so far all fresh. Wish it was playing somewhere close to me.
Old July 11 2014, 08:33 PM   #7
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
Wow! Boyhood is at 100% at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boyhood/ . 77 reviews so far all fresh. Wish it was playing somewhere close to me.
Same here. I've little hope that I will get to see this in theaters since Before Midnight never made it to screens anywhere near me. Oh, well, can't wait to see this on my TV screen at home.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 01:27 AM   #8
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Just heard about this movie yesterday. It's gotten rave reviews and certainly has me interested. I hope it plays in theaters around here.
Old July 12 2014, 03:16 PM   #9
cardinal biggles
O HAI

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I love the Before trilogy, and I remember Linklater and Ethan Hawke mention Boyhood in some of their interviews when Before Midnight came out, so my curiosity is definitely piqued.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 02:26 AM   #10
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

I've read a couple of brief pieces about it. It seems to me that for this industry, such a project is brooking almost unprecedented logistical hurdles. I guess an unremttingly passionate belief in the story by the filmmaker and actors must have been the core of the determination to see it through.
Old July 13 2014, 06:38 PM   #11
TedShatner10
Commodore

Admirable ambition this film has, but I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the 2000s and early 2010s not being too kind on Ethan Hawke's looks.
Old July 21 2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I totally got this same idea a few years ago... but not twelve years ago, so I can't claim that Linklater beat me to it.

I'll definitely be catching this at some point, albeit probably on dvd. The New Yorker did a recent profile on Linklater, with some discussion of the movie, and here's a cool interview with him from The AV Club.

Now, given his history of making time-spanning sequels, who's gonna be the first to ask if he'll start filming Manhood for a few days next year, and the eleven years after that?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 01:14 AM   #13
Davros
Fleet Admiral

This is a shoe in for a best picture nomination.
Old July 24 2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Gaith wrote: View Post
I totally got this same idea a few years ago... but not twelve years ago, so I can't claim that Linklater beat me to it.

I'll definitely be catching this at some point, albeit probably on dvd. The New Yorker did a recent profile on Linklater, with some discussion of the movie, and here's a cool interview with him from The AV Club.

Now, given his history of making time-spanning sequels, who's gonna be the first to ask if he'll start filming Manhood for a few days next year, and the eleven years after that?
Jon Stewart brought it up last night and Linklater mused on the possibilities.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I saw the film this past weekend at the local theater and loved every minute of it. It's one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen and manages to be both simple and complex at the same time: a straightforward storyline that covers philosophical questions similar to those found in Waking Life. I highly recommend everyone to watch this film.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote