Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 18 2014, 05:02 AM   #16
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Star Trek VI: The Remade ''Package''?

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
3. I wasn't keen on the music. I know they couldn't afford Goldsmith or Horner, but this being the last movie, it should've had one of the two.
I don't know if it budget reasons so much as Meyer wanted someone who'd be "inspired" by Holst.

He probably figured Goldsmith would insist on doing his own thing. And I think that maybe have been around the time Horner was having his health issues. (Not really sure about that, though.)
Old July 18 2014, 05:06 AM   #17
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Could be my misunderstanding, but I just finished reading Meyer's autobiography and I could've sworn he said Horner and Goldsmith were too expensive. Let me grab the book and see if I can find that section...
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:10 AM   #18
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Yeah, here it is on page 215 going into 216:

"I could not afford Jerry Goldsmith to write our score; I couldn't even afford James Horner, who had risen in prominence (and price) in the years since The Wrath of Khan."
Old July 18 2014, 05:19 AM   #19
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'm calling BS on that one, or rather, he just used it as an excuse.

Goldsmith was having a hard time finding decent work around that time. And Horner did The Rocketeer in 91 which had roughly the same budget as TUC.
Old July 18 2014, 05:24 AM   #20
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Huh, I guess it's possible.

Why would he use that as an excuse though? In other words, why would he lie about that?

Interesting about The Rocketeer, but was anyone in the cast of The Rocketeer as expensive as Shatner/Nimoy? Meyer breaks down the Star Trek VI budget when talking about his fight with the studio over the $25 million/$30 million budet battle.

Last edited by EnriqueH; July 18 2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old July 18 2014, 12:55 PM   #21
2takesfrakes
Commodore

STAR TREK V sucked! Why would Jerry Goldsmith want to score another dud? I'm certain that Jerry Goldsmith's being unavailable had nothing to do with "price." It had to do with having pride and being concerned about the bankability of his name.
Old July 18 2014, 03:30 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
STAR TREK V sucked! Why would Jerry Goldsmith want to score another dud? I'm certain that Jerry Goldsmith's being unavailable had nothing to do with "price." It had to do with having pride and being concerned about the bankability of his name.
That makes no sense.
Old July 18 2014, 03:45 PM   #23
mos6507
Captain

Goldsmith scored more Trek films than anybody else, and by virtue of that he also wound up having to score less well received films, which he didn't seem to mind. In the interviews I've seen of him on Youtube he seems to have developed a sense of part-ownership of the Trek franchise by virtue of how synonymous his music is with Trek. The TMP theme belonging to two franchises (TOS and TNG) makes it second only to Alexander Courage's in its ubiquity. He seems to have been a genuine Trek fan. Maybe he wasn't at first, but he became one eventually.

This is different from James Horner who seems to view the two Trek films he scored as merely stepping stones to bigger and better things. A much more mercenary attitude.
Old July 19 2014, 12:22 AM   #24
trevanian
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I'm calling BS on that one, or rather, he just used it as an excuse.

Goldsmith was having a hard time finding decent work around that time. And Horner did The Rocketeer in 91 which had roughly the same budget as TUC.
ROCKETEER's budget was more below-the-line, meaning there was a LOT more available to spend on the movie instead of the stars.

I interviewed Meyer within a day or two of TUC being greenlit (didn't know that at the time) and he told me there was no way they could afford Horner. That isn't a retcon or him misremembering stuff like he does in his book, that is absolutely the state of affairs at that moment in time.

It was a very short phone interview, but I put Christopher Young forward as strenuously as possible, citing his unused stuff for INVADERS FROM MARS (practically outGoldsmiths Goldsmith), but I'm guessing Meyer was already well into his Holst thing, hence the other guy being hired.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 10:32 PM   #25
publiusr
Rear Admiral

I think Starship troopers also had some sort of delay, which let the FX guys go mad what with the ship details
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 11:09 PM   #26
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I can't believe how great TROOPERS looks on dvd, especially the ships torn open by the bug ji- juice. I can't actually imagine how much better it could be on blu, but I guess I'll know as soon as I can find it for under five bucks.

the models look better in the movie than in person, I'll say that.
Old July 21 2014, 02:58 AM   #27
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

I really wish some of you guys would expand on your answers a bit when it comes to "calling BS" on what Meyer said in his autobiography.

Could you guys be more specific? Or is this a gut feeling based on something?

Hopefully, you guys will respond because it sounds like there's some interesting discussion here if you guys are willing to get into more detail.
Old July 21 2014, 06:16 AM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure I went into a bit of detail on a past thread or two a couple years back. I have still never read the Meyer book, outside of skimming it in a store when it first came out; I saw stuff that was 100% out from what I knew about TUC, about the klingon blood, and was flabbergasted he was passing that off as fact until I noticed the thing about it being a memoir and being subject to failngs of memory, which sounds like a get out of jail free card.

I'll see if I can find the earlier posts I made.
Old July 26 2014, 12:37 PM   #29
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I tried watching TUC this past week and found it to be boring! Kept having to speed through a lot of it. It just doesn't have as much re-watchability as some of the others. I was really surprised by that though, I remembered it being somewhat better than that ... it kind of sucks, actually.
Old July 27 2014, 10:26 PM   #30
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure I went into a bit of detail on a past thread or two a couple years back. I have still never read the Meyer book, outside of skimming it in a store when it first came out; I saw stuff that was 100% out from what I knew about TUC, about the klingon blood, and was flabbergasted he was passing that off as fact until I noticed the thing about it being a memoir and being subject to failngs of memory, which sounds like a get out of jail free card.

I'll see if I can find the earlier posts I made.
From Meyer's memoir, years after the fact.
"There was a debate over the color of blood, which I wanted to be different than human blood. I wound up choosing a pink shade that seemed suitably weird, only to regret my choice down the road when I realized it reminded me of Pepto Bismol."

--Nicholas Meyer, The View From the Bridge, p.217
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote