RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,094
Members: 26,070
Currently online: 544
Newest member: KlingonButtWine

TrekToday headlines

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 19 2014, 06:02 PM   #16
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek ~ Project Potemkin "Command Decision" S02-G NOW ON-LINE

Hearing it again with headphones on:
The Bridge effects in the beginning could be toned down to make it more comprehensible. No bass boost on voices needed.
Wallace's second "So" has an audio glitch, maybe double its audio from the first "So".
2:30 Grigory is definitely too silent, volume boost needed and music toned down. And there's some heartbeat noise (music?) that's overshadowing his voice also, because it's bass heavy.
Around 3:00 - too heavy noice reduction detected. Maybe settings around 65% or just a little more could improve said scene... (as you do it with Audition I believe).
Wallace's voice while in the command chair is sounding very good! That scene works voice-vise.
Your "whispering scene" suffers only from a) noise reduction too heavy and b) music too loud/emphasized.
That's exactly where toning down / tuning up music helps with scenes. When there's dialogue, reduce music slightly. If you tune it up after some dramatic dialogue you can enhance the dramatic effect it should have...

Just some thoughts, Randy. For this one.

Greetings
Per

EDIT: So please forget my earlier remarks. This one is one the I think it could you forward there...

Last edited by wtriker1701; July 19 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: missing word
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 06:16 PM   #17
USS Intrepid
Commodore

wtriker1701 wrote: View Post
Hearing it again with headphones on:
The Bridge effects in the beginning could be toned down to make it more comprehensible. No bass boost on voices needed.
Wallace's second "So" has an audio glitch, maybe double its audio from the first "So".
2:30 Grigory is definitely too silent, volume boost needed and music toned down. And there's some heartbeat noise (music?) that's overshadowing his voice also, because it's bass heavy.
Around 3:00 - too heavy noice reduction detected. Maybe settings around 65% or just a little more could improve said scene... (as you do it with Audition I believe).
Wallace's voice while in the command chair is sounding very good! That scene works voice-vise.
Your "whispering scene" suffers only from a) noise reduction too heavy and b) music too loud/emphasized.
That's exactly where toning down / tuning up music helps with scenes. When there's dialogue, reduce music slightly. If you tune it up after some dramatic dialogue you can enhance the dramatic effect it should have...

Just some thoughts, Randy. For this one.

Greetings
Per

EDIT: So please forget my earlier remarks. This one is the I think it could you forward there...
It's nice to see more people posting helpful, constructive feedback. My compliments to you.
Old July 19 2014, 06:25 PM   #18
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, Nick! I'll be trying more in the future!
Old July 19 2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

This is the sort of thing we ache for at times, to be sure.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 07:31 PM   #20
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Per,

Just letting you know I'm currently rendering a new version for upload to Vimeo. I'll let you know when it's on-line. Hopefully this one will be even better.

Rick Foxx is hard at work on the next one!

R
Old July 21 2014, 08:13 PM   #21
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

Very well, Randy! Looking forward to it!

Well, in our amateur area (as I'm coming from a community theater), I surely have had my experiences with AA. (Producing Videos and Making Ofs from the productions)

At the moment I work with Magix Video Deluxe 2013 for cutting videos. And with Magix Samplitude for Audio. There's always something I can learn from it, from others and their experience... and the fun never stops!

Greetings
Per

Last edited by wtriker1701; July 21 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: filled text with more life
Old July 21 2014, 08:49 PM   #22
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Just to play Captain Obvious, the real key is to have the cleanest possible sound going in. The cleaner the source audio, the less tweaking you have to do in post and the better that tweaking works. I know that's no surprise to Per and Randy, but it's a lesson that can be very hard to learn.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 09:41 PM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

On Polaris we sometimes used multiple mics, too, boomed to follow different characters so that we'd make sure we got the actors lines. This was especially important on location.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 11:36 PM   #24
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

For "Command Decision," we had one mic with a cable that's now suspect. This is one of the last productions where we didn't do an ADR session in the living room afterwards. Nowadays, we give the episode a couple of read-throughs, video the shoot, and then gather in the office for an ADR. During the shoot, we use the camera mic and the TASCAM with a completely different mic. The results are not consistent yet, but getting better and better with each production.
Old July 21 2014, 11:43 PM   #25
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

@Maurice:
Yes, multiple boom mics do the job, but amateur productions don't always have the luxury of having them and also multiple recording hardware at the same time...

Sometimes studio dubbings afterwords may help a lot. But even this is to be carefully planned and executed. The actor's original recording helps out much in those cases - but have to be faithfully recreated. That's not an easy task, given the surroundings and supporting actors may be not around...

Of course, in this case you have to painfully plan the sound effects accompanying those scenes. It wouldn't help to mix real voice acting with later dubbed ones, because that may give some real headaches in post...
Old July 22 2014, 04:36 AM   #26
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Per, it supposedly has been uploaded and is available on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/100747185

I won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow afternoon when I return to the studio to make sure the upload was completed.

Moving on to our next production!

Randy
Old July 22 2014, 02:27 PM   #27
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Per, it supposedly has been uploaded and is available on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/100747185

I won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow afternoon when I return to the studio to make sure the upload was completed.

Moving on to our next production!

Randy
I have written a brief story about the Potemkin: Project. Many thanks to Randall for his quick response to my inquiry.
Old July 22 2014, 03:27 PM   #28
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

@ MikeH92467: Good article!

And @ Randy: I'll watch the new version in a few hours. I'm at work right now!
Old July 22 2014, 05:12 PM   #29
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

Definite improvement on the sound mix! Good work!
Old July 22 2014, 07:15 PM   #30
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I have written a brief story about the Potemkin: Project. Many thanks to Randall for his quick response to my inquiry.
Very nice article, Mike!!! Thanks for writing it!

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Definite improvement on the sound mix! Good work!
Thanks! We're sticking a fork in this one, but we're using the advice to work on the next group of productions!