RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,697
Posts: 5,431,245
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 459
Newest member: honeybadger


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 27 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Did not see a spot to discuss question folks have on technical/operational issues dealing with a fan based studio, so started this thread.
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Dose anybody know the dimension of the Enterprise TOS bridge viewing screen? Besides a green screen. Can a rear projection screen with projector be used or a flat screen TV/monitor be used for a live screen??
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Dose anybody know how to set up a proper Chroma Key green studio for shots?
Looking for how smooth the surface of material has to be.
Blending of corners and to floor.
How it has to be lighted?
Dose it have to be one shade of green?
What is used for floor covering?
Painting the floor seems to be cheapest way.
the Rosco Chroma key green dance floor is 1,500 per roll and you need 4 rolls to cover a 40X20 area..
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Not for Profit vs For profit;
I understand fan based groups cannot sell any Star Trek items to pay for production.
Would like to get a better understanding of what is and is not permitted when operating a fan based studio.
I have 30 years with not for profit organizations with one of them having a CEO making 6 figures..
Donations have been way of generating funds to pay for operations.
Wonder where the hairs are split when raising funds of the fan based studios.
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:20 PM   #5
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Greenville, Ohio? I spent much of my childhood there. Love the Maid-Rites, the Great Darke County Fair, the city park and Annie Oakley Days!

Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable about the topics that you're asking about as many other members of this BBS are, so I'll leave responses in their more capable hands.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Hi Ron, afraid I don't have any experience in it either, but you could have put all those questions in your first post. They don't like multiple posts in a row on the board, since it can look like spamming, just for future reference.

And welcome aboard!
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 06:55 PM   #7
PattyW
Commander
 
Location: New England
Send a message via AIM to PattyW
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Find the "rules of engagement" thread on this forum. It has the rules CBS gave me back in 2012.
__________________
Founder Childhood Warriors. Producer/Promoter/Writer/Costume Designer/Event Coordinator/Fundraiser/website design (formerly for Retro Film Studios, CEC, IP, Mystic Seaport, Dickens Days).
PattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Annie Oakley days are running this weekend and Maid Rite is packed and the drive thru is backed up the road..Darke County fair is in three weeks and counting...Good to hear from a local...
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

thanks for the advice on posting. I am new here and do not know the ins and outs of posting... figured folks could answer each question separately and not put them together, but it looks like my replies to individual postings do not pot directly under the post I am replying to, so it may not matter...
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 07:46 PM   #10
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Ron Asman wrote: View Post
Not for Profit vs For profit;
I understand fan based groups cannot sell any Star Trek items to pay for production.
Would like to get a better understanding of what is and is not permitted when operating a fan based studio.
I have 30 years with not for profit organizations with one of them having a CEO making 6 figures..
Donations have been way of generating funds to pay for operations.
Wonder where the hairs are split when raising funds of the fan based studios.
Ron, Melakon is correct: the TrekBBS frowns upon post after post after post after post by the same user. It looks like (well it kinda *is*) spamming. The rule is not more than two in a row. Here's from the FAQ file:

"Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread. If you need to answer more than one person in the thread, please use the quote function."
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; July 27 2014 at 11:00 PM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Ron Asman wrote: View Post
Not for Profit vs For profit;
I understand fan based groups cannot sell any Star Trek items to pay for production.
Would like to get a better understanding of what is and is not permitted when operating a fan based studio.
I have 30 years with not for profit organizations with one of them having a CEO making 6 figures..
Donations have been way of generating funds to pay for operations.
Wonder where the hairs are split when raising funds of the fan based studios.
Ron, Melakonis correct: the TrekBBS frowns upon post after post after post after post by the same user. It looks like (well it kinda *is*) spamming. The rule is not more than two in a row. Here's from the FAQ file:

"Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread. If you need to answer more than one person in the thread, please use the quote function."
Like this???

Last edited by GSchnitzer; July 27 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Properly attributed to Melakon.
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Ron Asman wrote: View Post
Did not see a spot to discuss question folks have on technical/operational issues dealing with a fan based studio, so started this thread.
There's a fairly long thread with pointers for and by fan filmmakers called The Fan Filmmaker's Primer (link) which gets into a lot of stuff like inexpensive lighting, basic camera work, greenscreen setups, basic production stuff (like what the Assistant Director does), etc.

Ron Asman wrote: View Post
...Besides a green screen. Can a rear projection screen with projector be used or a flat screen TV/monitor be used for a live screen??...
[Does] anybody know how to set up a proper Chroma Key green studio for shots?
Looking for how smooth the surface of material has to be.
Blending of corners and to floor.
How it has to be lighted?
Dose it have to be one shade of green?
What is used for floor covering?
Painting the floor seems to be cheapest way.
the Rosco Chroma key green dance floor is 1,500 per roll and you need 4 rolls to cover a 40X20 area..
Many questions like these are best answered by Googling.

For instance, Google "cheap green screen" and you find stuff like this:



Also, start to watch YouTube channels like Film Riot (link) which explain how to do a lot of practical stuff, like...



andriech wrote: View Post
Find the "rules of engagement" thread on this forum. It has the rules CBS gave me back in 2012.
Specifically here (link).
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 10:48 PM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Ron, andriech is correct: the TrekBBS frowns upon post after post after post after post by the same user. It looks like (well it kinda *is*) spamming.
Hey, you're giving her credit for something I said. What kind of furshlugginer place are you running here?
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 10:56 PM   #14
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Ron Asman wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Ron Asman wrote: View Post
Not for Profit vs For profit;
I understand fan based groups cannot sell any Star Trek items to pay for production.
Would like to get a better understanding of what is and is not permitted when operating a fan based studio.
I have 30 years with not for profit organizations with one of them having a CEO making 6 figures..
Donations have been way of generating funds to pay for operations.
Wonder where the hairs are split when raising funds of the fan based studios.
Ron, andriech is correct: the TrekBBS frowns upon post after post after post after post by the same user. It looks like (well it kinda *is*) spamming. The rule is not more than two in a row. Here's from the FAQ file:

"Do not post more than twice in a row in the same thread. If you need to answer more than one person in the thread, please use the quote function."
Like this???
No, not like that. I think the rule is meant to prohibit the same user from posting "more than *twice* in a row in a thread." I don't think it is meant to be construed to prohibit posting once or more times in a row in a thread. I think if a user posts just once "in a row" (?), it's permitted.

P.S. Oops, sorry Melakon. Fixed.
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:02 AM   #15
Ron Asman
Ensign
 
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Re: Questions; Fan based studio/operations.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Ron Asman wrote: View Post
Did not see a spot to discuss question folks have on technical/operational issues dealing with a fan based studio, so started this thread.
There's a fairly long thread with pointers for and by fan filmmakers called The Fan Filmmaker's Primer (link) which gets into a lot of stuff like inexpensive lighting, basic camera work, greenscreen setups, basic production stuff (like what the Assistant Director does), etc.

Ron Asman wrote: View Post
...Besides a green screen. Can a rear projection screen with projector be used or a flat screen TV/monitor be used for a live screen??...
[Does] anybody know how to set up a proper Chroma Key green studio for shots?
Looking for how smooth the surface of material has to be.
Blending of corners and to floor.
How it has to be lighted?
Dose it have to be one shade of green?
What is used for floor covering?
Painting the floor seems to be cheapest way.
the Rosco Chroma key green dance floor is 1,500 per roll and you need 4 rolls to cover a 40X20 area..
Many questions like these are best answered by Googling.

For instance, Google "cheap green screen" and you find stuff like this:



Also, start to watch YouTube channels like Film Riot (link) which explain how to do a lot of practical stuff, like...



andriech wrote: View Post
Find the "rules of engagement" thread on this forum. It has the rules CBS gave me back in 2012.
Specifically here (link).
I had someone contact me off group and they made some good points on green screen and wanted to share them. The chroma key green color you use has to be the same or it will not work. There is a green that is used for TV weather reports that is lighter than the studio green so make sure you get the right green screens for the shoot.
It is better if the corners of the green studio are blended rather then at a 90degree corner to make post production less of a hassle and less costly to fix...
Lighting the green screen with space lights is best method.
Care has to be observed for green screen reflecting onto set pieces and people and cause problems and more expense in post production.
Chroma key flooring is expensive and two solutions is to paint the floor chroma key green and cover until needed or get 2nds in vinyl flooring and paint the back side chroma key green and un roll it when needed.
Ron Asman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.