Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Who is the best James Bond?
Sir Sean Connery 49 42.24%
David Niven 1 0.86%
George Lazenby 3 2.59%
Sir Roger Moore 12 10.34%
Timothy Dalton 14 12.07%
Pierce Brosnan 17 14.66%
Daniel Craig 20 17.24%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 4 2014, 02:24 PM   #151
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Who is the Best 007?

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
I live in a sad, lonely world of being the only person who thinks The World is not Enough is one of the very best films as well
TWINE's main problem is Denise Richards' character (who isn't especially credible on paper either, mind you, so it's not solely Richards' fault). It's got a lot of compelling elements otherwise, especially Sophie Marceau's villain (indeed, the first three Brosnan films had some of the best villains in the franchise, in my opinion).
Indeed. TWINE has a truly superb first 15-20 minutes but then tries too hard for the rest of it, with a desperate attempt to stay with Brosnan-camp while also having a hint of Dalton/Craig-edge - and fails at both.

I've always thought TWINE could have been one of the modern greats if it had the strength of its convictions. You could retrofit a lot of that story into a Craig-era plot I reckon.
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 04:07 PM   #152
CaptainCanada
Admiral

VST wrote: View Post
You could retrofit a lot of that story into a Craig-era plot I reckon.
They did, in fact. Skyfall's plot with M having a personal connection to the villain is basically a more elaborated and successful version of the climax of TWINE.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 05:47 PM   #153
VST
Lieutenant Commander

^Very true, actually.

I'd like to see Craig come up against a proper Elektra King-style character next, that would be great. Severine could have been but she was just a nothing role - he needs a proper devilish femme fatale to romance & face down against.
Old August 4 2014, 11:12 PM   #154
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
What!? Kara is my third favourite Bond girl (after Tracy and Xenia) and I always feel sorry for Caroline Bliss, she gets some terrible dialogue and really is the weakest Moneypenny. I do think Dalton's Aston Martin is my favourite of all of them.
Kara had an interesting look and if "interesting" is what they were after, then that's great. But she just didn't do anything for me. Maybe if they'd done something with her hair, or ... I don't know. She was sweet and all of that. I don't have any aversion to her, at all. But while I adore Caroline Bliss, the absolute best Bond Girls for me are Eva Green and Sofia Marceau. All the rest are adequate, as far as I'm concerned. The best Bond is Timothy Dalton, in my opinion, though. At least "they" did give him a couple of hotties in LICENSE TO KILL.
Old August 4 2014, 11:56 PM   #155
inflatabledalek
Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
VST wrote: View Post
You could retrofit a lot of that story into a Craig-era plot I reckon.
They did, in fact. Skyfall's plot with M having a personal connection to the villain is basically a more elaborated and successful version of the climax of TWINE.
It was also pretty much remade as The Dark Knight Rises as well (though just to throw people off it opens with a bigger budget version of the plane hooking pre-credits of Licence to Kill. Chris Nolan likes his Bond alright.

Mind, Bond returned the favour with things like Silva being a knock-off Ledger Joker (and like most of the variations of that character we've had in blockbusters it missed the point- The Joker does elaborate shit just for the sheer joy of it. Characters like Silva have actual goals and plans so jumping through all the ridiculous and seemingly self defeating hoops they do makes no sense) and Stately Bond Manor- complete with secret underground tunnels- burning down.

For most of the last decade it's felt like the two franchises were trying to eat one another, if Nolan were to actually direct a Bond the Universe will probably explode.
Old August 5 2014, 12:13 AM   #156
VST
Lieutenant Commander

^It would implode out of sheer awesomeness. As would my brain.
Old August 13 2014, 12:13 AM   #157
Drone
Captain

View Drone's Twitter Profile

In the interest of completeness, the pursuit of which was ditched quite a few pages ago, I submit Daliah Lavi.

Seriously though, on the theme question, I have to give much and enduring love for You Only Live Twice. It's mysterious, atavistic, and picaresque, amongst many other things, all rolled into one. Whatever the hell that means!!! At present I prefer Barry's instrumental version, but I can easily be persuaded.
Old August 13 2014, 12:30 AM   #158
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Users who bought You Only Live Twice (theme song) also bought:

The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2014, 01:31 AM   #159
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I still like Brosnan. There was a certain charm he brought to the role that I liked, and Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are great films.