Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #31
Pondwater
Commodore

Re: What do You Think of Q?

At first I didn't like him. As I got older, he became strangely likeable.
Old August 4 2014, 05:57 PM   #32
VST
Lieutenant Commander

Not all the Q episodes were great, but John de Lancie was never less than entertaining - he deserves a lot of credit because he really took what could have been a horribly annoying character & made him a likeable 'Loki'.

It's a shame he softened a bit though as time went on, because in 'Encounter at Farpoint' he's quite a nasty bastard!
VST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 09:48 PM   #33
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Well said.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 04:34 AM   #34
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Why Q had to "soften" as time went on, I don't know. Maybe they felt they had to tone down his attitude to keep him likeable, but that's just stinkin' thinkin'! Q's at his best when he's right and he knows it and he shoves your nose in it - like a dog's in shit. Maybe it's just boredom on everybody's part? Especially after Q started showing up on VOYAGER - ha! - that was it. He was a comic relief element who was there to try to sell us on Janeway being the most desireable woman in the whole galaxy! Nice try ... after that, he just wanders off into the sunset with Junior as a single parent ... not good. I didn't care for that kind of closure for the character, at all. Q should've been a bad boy and that's it. Maybe the advertisers were to blame. When was his last appearance? Like ... 20 years ago? Times were different then, that's for sure.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 05:05 AM   #35
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I started to tire of him, too. It seemed like his stories were getting...I don't know how to put it..sillier?

But at least in The Next Generation, his last couple of appearances seemed to be skewing him back more towards his original characterization.

I was really intrigued by his speech to Picard in All Good Things, about "discovering the limitless possibilities of existence". It sounded like they had neat things planned...

Bah.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 05:11 AM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I didn't like the second story Q was in, but I thought he was a great addition to the series as he often was the one that held up a mirror to the TNG gang and told them "You guys really aren't all that."

John de Lancie though rocked it in every appearance, though.
Old August 5 2014, 05:24 AM   #37
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I didn't like the second story Q was in, but I thought he was a great addition to the series as he often was the one that held up a mirror to the TNG gang and told them "You guys really aren't all that."

John de Lancie though rocked it in every appearance, though.
Yet, in contrast, the second appearance is what sold me on DeLancie. I really liked his enunciation in his monologue in the tent. "Shall it be a test of strength? Meaningless, since you have none. A test of intelligence? Equally as meaningless! But it needs risk...something to win...and something to lose."
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 01:18 PM   #38
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I have to agree with this. John de Lancie is very much in league with Sir Patrick Stewart and was the perfect choice at playing as a foil to Captain Picard. Gene Roddenberry had a knack for perfect casting ...
Old August 5 2014, 02:19 PM   #39
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I have to agree with this. John de Lancie is very much in league with Sir Patrick Stewart and was the perfect choice at playing as a foil to Captain Picard. Gene Roddenberry had a knack for perfect casting ...
Plus, he's a very talented actor.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 12:05 AM   #40
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Indeed, he is! TNG does not get enough credit for having such great talent on the show. John de Lancie is a good case in point ...
Old August 7 2014, 08:21 AM   #41
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I just saw two episodes of ST:TNG for the first time. Going through the series. I have some clues by seeing some episodes in the series and reading most of the novels. Saw "Hide and Q" for the first time as far as I can recall. Earlier saw Farpoint and had seen it at least two times previously. Would like to get and read "I, Q" sometime but not quite yet.

Q's hamming up the starship does serve as a contrast. When he dresses in standard Starfleet uniforms, you fail to note as much contrast. But then you can be surprised. Surprise is the emotion of learning. No surprise, no learning.

Q lives in the element of surprise. The 'ah-ha' moments. The critical points in civilization even if they need to be created. It seems that invention and discovery which are so different to humans are very much alike to the Q.

The Q who have no need for discovery can be somewhat nonchalant about voyages of discovery or exploration. Or, can they?

I liked reading the book series of "Amber" by Roger Zelazny. Some characters travel by adding or subtracting to or from what they "sense" in order to change reality to suit them. Some characters reach out to retrieve what they want. A journey with a Q character along the lines of the Amber/Chaos lines (providing it does not come to resemble Babylon 5 too much) could be interesting. I notice that Q's log entry about the Enterprise was that it was like being stuck in Amber. Maybe a reference to the novelverse?

The opportunity to come to terms with power and godhood, a regular theme of ST, is always interesting. Q serves as a proxy/surrogate for God in a form that may easily be questioned and confronted.

Last edited by Endgame; August 7 2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Verb agreement. Amber reference.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 08:57 AM   #42
Disco
Lieutenant Commander

I woudl have liked to have seen Q appear in one of the movies. I really enjoyed his character as, as has been said, he always tested the crew was important for developing the characters and show.
Old August 7 2014, 05:11 PM   #43
JesterFace
Lieutenant

First TNG movie should've been about what Q talked about in the end of 'All Good Things...', exploring new levels of existence and things like that, "That is the exploration that awaits you". Q on Enterprise for 2 hours, win.
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 08:17 PM   #44
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

JesterFace wrote: View Post
First TNG movie should've been about what Q talked about in the end of 'All Good Things...', exploring new levels of existence and things like that, "That is the exploration that awaits you". Q on Enterprise for 2 hours, win.
The Nexus seems like something the Qs could have concocted. They could have made Q appear in the end and explain that this was yet another riddle for Picard to solve or something like that.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 02:47 PM   #45
Mojochi
Commodore

Great concept, brilliant performances, but sometimes a weak presentation. I'm not even that fond of Tapestry. It had worn thin by then, & a TNG "It's a Wonderful Life" didn't do much to inspire . The finale was the saving grace

Now, my dad, who enjoyed TNG with me, couldn't stand him ever. Something just rubbed him wrong about it. Too much buffoonery me thinks. He couldn't take it seriously. Over the top godlike stuff. He may have stiil been reeling from the st:5 aftertaste
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote