Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 15 2014, 03:04 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What do You Think of Q?

Q is an antagonist. Not a villain.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 06:23 AM   #17
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

wulfio wrote: View Post
They wrote him a bit too hammy in a lot of episodes. But I rather enjoyed the whole humanity on trial storyline in the pilot and series finale. I thought perhaps that story line continued would have made a more appropriate 1st movie than Generations. The metaphysics in that would have made for a more compelling movie for me.
Dude holy shit yes!!

At the end of AGT, we basically get Q saying "yeah that was just a taste of what's to come!"

Perfect for a Q induced adventure with Kirk, Picard, and both crews. Something to really test humanity, not with the silly games, but a real test!
GalaxyX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 05:21 PM   #18
mos6507
Captain

Q is an enigma because for the most part he seems to act like Loki, basically an amoral trickster who is just doing stuff for his own amusement. But at times he gets on a soap-box and berates humanity for not living up to some moral ideal (starting with Farpoint). A moral ideal that he himself doesn't seem to meet. So it's really hard to pin down what he stands for. But this ambiguity is the key to the character. He's supposed to frustrate all attempts to categorize him as "good guy" or "bad guy".
Old July 16 2014, 12:28 AM   #19
dougiezerts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Q is Bart Simpson if he was omnipotent.
Without Homer or Marge around to disciplin him!
dougiezerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 03:45 AM   #20
medwatt
Ensign

I've always looked forward to 'Q' episodes. All are fun to watch with the exception of Encounter at Farpoint and True Q and my favourite line:

Picard walks over and shakes Q's extended hand. Then Q says:
"Welcome to the afterlife, Jean-Luc. You're dead and I'm God !"
Picard then forcibly withdraws his hand.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 01:32 PM   #21
I am not Spock
Commodore

The poster who said Q is like the Doctor is right on the money. The Q Continuum remind of Star Trek's version of the Time Lords. Watching and judging over humanity. Are they heroes? Are they villains? Neither, really. They're neutral
Old July 18 2014, 05:52 PM   #22
Last Redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Q episodes, at least in TNG, were always a treat.

In his other appearances, not so much....
Last Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 07:46 PM   #23
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

John De Lancie is great. Q is a pain, a godly pain. Yes, he's taught humanity quite a bit but he put humanity on trial (not sure what his guilty verdict would have led to), cost lives in 'Q Who' (he could have sent the ship back the same way it got there before lives were lost), and he self appointed him himself Judge because he could but that never sat right with me and you'd think he would have gotten being a godly douche out of his system by TNG's time.

Now don't get me wrong, when John De Lancie is in an episode, I know awesomeness is about to happen, but Q is a dick and a lesson to Starfleet and every species in the universe that dicks exist.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2014, 09:22 PM   #24
ReedEnterprise
Captain

bbjeg wrote: View Post
John De Lancie is great. Q is a pain, a godly pain. Yes, he's taught humanity quite a bit but he put humanity on trial (not sure what his guilty verdict would have led to), cost lives in 'Q Who' (he could have sent the ship back the same way it got there before lives were lost), and he self appointed him himself Judge because he could but that never sat right with me and you'd think he would have gotten being a godly douche out of his system by TNG's time.

Now don't get me wrong, when John De Lancie is in an episode, I know awesomeness is about to happen, but Q is a dick and a lesson to Starfleet and every species in the universe that dicks exist.
Nicely said and sums up my feelings. Love John as an actor but Q.....eh
Old July 27 2014, 09:02 AM   #25
at Quark's
Lieutenant

HIjol wrote: View Post
I believe that, under all that malevolence - and Q was malevolent - there was something about Humanity and Human Beings that interested and attracted him
Cruel, yes. Malevolent, no. The kind of cruelty that is easy to pick up (I suppose) if you've been (almost) omnipotent for aeons.

I'd consider Q more of an 'amoral trickster' as someone else put it, and even then he might only appear amoral in our eyes . Most of the time Q does anything, it ultimately seems to have a good effect on the main characters or the Federation as a whole, even when the acts seem "evil" at the time itself (Q who, tapestry). Of course, we're led to believe that this is because 'our heroes' made the best of it, but I always got the feeling that this was the intention of Q all along. Picard with his 'holier than thou' attitude, for example, really could use the kick in the rear he got from Q every now and then. Of course, that doesn't explain all his evil acts away, such as 'tormenting the Calamarain', but still.

Well, that is considering the TNG Q at least. When VOY Q came along, I really got the feeling we were dealing with a supposedly omnipotent entity who didn't actually have the slightest clue as to what he was doing. In that respect, VOY spoiled Q for me, even though he was still fun to watch in those eps.
at Quark's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 01:58 PM   #26
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

I think the big problem with Picard is that he's humorless, pompous and self-important, not to mention self-righteous. His character really needs someone like Q to take him down a peg. Q is actually good for Picard as demonstrated in Tapestry for example.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 05:40 PM   #27
Agent Richard07
Retired

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post
They wrote him a bit too hammy in a lot of episodes. But I rather enjoyed the whole humanity on trial storyline in the pilot and series finale. I thought perhaps that story line continued would have made a more appropriate 1st movie than Generations. The metaphysics in that would have made for a more compelling movie for me.
Dude holy shit yes!!

At the end of AGT, we basically get Q saying "yeah that was just a taste of what's to come!"

Perfect for a Q induced adventure with Kirk, Picard, and both crews. Something to really test humanity, not with the silly games, but a real test!
Generations would have been too soon but I fully expected Q to show up in a movie.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 09:00 PM   #28
publiusr
Commodore

Oh, I wish I had that power for about five minutes.

Cause all pollution to diappear, no fossil fuel left on the planet, every fossil dug up and placed on display--instant zoos filled with every possible animal, and Mars and Venus made habitable. All missiles disappear. All diseases cured, etc.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 09:20 PM   #29
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

publiusr wrote: View Post
Oh, I wish I had that power for about five minutes.

Cause all pollution to diappear, no fossil fuel left on the planet, every fossil dug up and placed on display--instant zoos filled with every possible animal, and Mars and Venus made habitable. All missiles disappear. All diseases cured, etc.
It's likely that no one has that power. That's why life took three billion years to evolve man and not one sec...
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 12:54 AM   #30
Makarov
Commander

Q is great, and perfect in All Good Things and most of his TNG appearances. When they start adding more detail to Q, then I don't quite like it as much. I'm not really a fan of the whole "Q tries to give someone powers, and they reject it" thing that happens from time to time.

And as for Voyager I'm not really a fan of the whole "lets represent the continuum as some period piece." Makes it feel like some kind of holodeck thing.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote