Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 18 2014, 05:30 PM   #16
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS Episodes That Could Have Been Feature Length

'Journey to Babel'
Do you remember how many things went on this episode?
1. We met Spock's parents.
2. We found out Spock was estranged from his father
3. We found out Spock's mum was human (I'm not sure we knew that before)
4. The Enterprise hosted a big party
5. we found out about Spock's childhood
6. Kirk got stabbed.
7.They had lot of different aliens introduced
8. They had a spy on board.
9. Spock's mum slapped him.
10. Spock took over command.
11. Spock refused to give his father blood.
12. Kirk made Spock give his father blood.
13. Kirk had to command while gravely injured.
14. McCoy and Kirk tricked Spock into letting Kirk take command.
15. Sarek nearly died.
16. Kirk nearly died.
17. Spock nearly died
18. The Enterprise nearly blew up.
19. An ambassador got killed. Boohoo.
20. McCoy finally got the last word.

Surely there's content enough there for a movie.
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Richard Baker
Fleet Captain

I think 'The Ultimate Computer' would make a nice feature length film. Show more of the ship converting to the new control system, Kirk in dialog with people on the Space Station, general misgivings and then the gradual weirdness of the M-5 beginning to become a danger. I felt the Computer's problems were a bit rushed and the battle with the task force could have been much better ( I had really hopes the ST-R would have really shown that much better given what they had done with 'The Doomsday MAchine').
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2014, 07:27 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
3. We found out Spock's mum was human (I'm not sure we knew that before)
"The Naked Time"

SPOCK: My mother. I could never tell her I loved her.
SPOCK: An Earth woman, living on a planet where love, emotion, is bad taste.
Old July 18 2014, 07:56 PM   #19
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I think 'The Ultimate Computer' would make a nice feature length film. Show more of the ship converting to the new control system, Kirk in dialog with people on the Space Station, general misgivings and then the gradual weirdness of the M-5 beginning to become a danger. I felt the Computer's problems were a bit rushed and the battle with the task force could have been much better ( I had really hopes the ST-R would have really shown that much better given what they had done with 'The Doomsday MAchine').
This is one that I think of as well. I always thought of a great sequence where the systems wouldn't come back online right after M-5 shuts down, and there would be this great hide-and-seek with Kirk trying to avoid the other starships ordered to destroy the Enterprise.

Something where Kirk would have to use his skills usually put to luring an enemy into a trap instead used to keep the Enterprise out of sight.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 02:55 AM   #20
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

How could he play hide and seek with them if the systems were offline?
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 06:39 AM   #21
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Why not use the comm system on a shuttlecraft? Did M-5 shut those down too?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 10:25 AM   #22
Metryq
Fleet Captain

wtriker1701 wrote: View Post
Thanks for acknowledging OOOPIM as TMP plotwise. Others always just compare NOMAD with TMP, but I think, it's actually an amalgam of both stories.
And "One Of Our Planets Is Missing" is "The Immunity Syndrome." Another recent thread discusses what additional seasons of TOS might have been like, and some suggest that TAS was seasons 4 and 5. I submit that TOS could not have continued, as TAS was already recycling basic plot ideas. "Beyond the Farthest Star" sounds very similar to "Wolf in the Fold." "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth" is a retread of "Who Mourns for Adonais." In "Eye of the Beholder" Kirk and company are placed in an alien Zoo—taking us all the way back to "The Cage." Many TOS episodes/stories are re-treaded or revisited—"Shore Leave", "Tribbles", "Mudd", etc.
Old July 19 2014, 12:48 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Metryq wrote: View Post
wtriker1701 wrote: View Post
Thanks for acknowledging OOOPIM as TMP plotwise. Others always just compare NOMAD with TMP, but I think, it's actually an amalgam of both stories.
And "One Of Our Planets Is Missing" is "The Immunity Syndrome." Another recent thread discusses what additional seasons of TOS might have been like, and some suggest that TAS was seasons 4 and 5. I submit that TOS could not have continued, as TAS was already recycling basic plot ideas. "Beyond the Farthest Star" sounds very similar to "Wolf in the Fold." "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth" is a retread of "Who Mourns for Adonais." In "Eye of the Beholder" Kirk and company are placed in an alien Zoo—taking us all the way back to "The Cage." Many TOS episodes/stories are re-treaded or revisited—"Shore Leave", "Tribbles", "Mudd", etc.
I agree with this. I think they took things about as far as they could in the one-hour format over those three seasons.
Old July 19 2014, 01:10 PM   #24
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
Why not use his communicator? Didn't JJtrek just 'prove' you can phone home from Kronos (sp) using one of those?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 08:33 PM   #25
drt
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Why not use his communicator? Didn't JJtrek just 'prove' you can phone home from Kronos (sp) using one of those?
JJ snark aside, a TOS communicator should have been acceptable for the task, since the roughly equivalent Klingon version was capable of the same in "Elaan".
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 08:42 PM   #26
Captrek
Rear Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
JJ snark aside, a TOS communicator should have been acceptable for the task, since the roughly equivalent Klingon version was capable of the same in "Elaan".
In fairness, Ultimate Computer came first. It's like asking why they didn't use the shuttlecraft in "The Enemy Within": at the time, it had not been established in the series that the Enterprise had shuttlecraft.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 08:43 PM   #27
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Conscience of the King could have been made into feature-length - just add the Tarsus IV-material as first part and/or flashbacks.
Old July 22 2014, 12:24 PM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Claudia wrote: View Post
Conscience of the King could have been made into feature-length - just add the Tarsus IV-material as first part and/or flashbacks.
At first I was going to dispute this, but actually if you twined that with DOOMSDAY MACHINE, you could have two separate stories that reinforced one another, showing the different ways you can 'tear somebody's world to pieces.' It'd mean having more than just Decker as a survivor, but that's okay too, because then you have his guilt arising from not just failing to save his crew, but saving the passenger (kodos) and letting the others die. You'd probably also see how efficient Kodos was as he works alongside Kirk & Scott on the wrecked starship, which allays some of Kirk's concerns ... till Washburn/Riley has a moment of recognition ...

Yeah ... I do kinda like this. Kodas/Karidian's view that he thought he was doing the right thing is reinforced by Decker feeling the same way about committing Enterprise to destroying the open-mouth bass/hornofplenty, regardless of how wrongheaded those decisions turn out to be ... but none of this challenges Kirk. Maybe CONSTELLATION is part of a task force Kirk commands and so he has the Decker/Ahab response, so you have Spock opposing him ... naah, I just sipped my coffee and this is sounding a bit much now, but your idea does have merit, so long as you could give it movie scale.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 07:45 PM   #29
Marsden
Fleet Captain

M-5 was jamming all communications. No one tried a hand held or other types of communicator because of the jamming.

UHURA: I'm sorry. I can't override M-5 interference

It's not very explicit, but it's M-5's fault.
Old July 22 2014, 09:26 PM   #30
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Marsden wrote: View Post
M-5 was jamming all communications. No one tried a hand held or other types of communicator because of the jamming.

UHURA: I'm sorry. I can't override M-5 interference

It's not very explicit, but it's M-5's fault.
``Dratted Chambers coil! Why do we even have that thing?''
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote