Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 14 2014, 04:16 PM   #31
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: So, is each movie someone's top favorite?

TheAdmiralty wrote: View Post
When did all this TMP revisionism start?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know there are some The Final Frontier fans around here.
I like it for the character scenes, but I find it hard to believe it could be someone's favorite.
It is probably my favorite. I usually rank them as TWOK/TMP/TFF and who cares about the rest, but if truth be told I DESPISED most of TMP initially and only developed my love-hate affection for it in the mid 80s, and even with TWOK I wasn't certain I loved it till a second theatrical viewing a couple days after I caught it opening day. TFF I liked right from the start, in spite of its failings, so in terms of consistent enjoyment, I guess it would rank as #1 for me.

The real question for me is can anybody rank NEM or INS as a favorite? (I would include both Abrams efforts along with those, but clearly there are folks who find favor with these, for whatever reason.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 04:24 PM   #32
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Indysolo wrote: View Post
I'm convinced that every movie is someone's favorite, which is good news for Battlefield Earth.
I didn't make it all the way through BE on homevid, but even the bad stuff I saw can't rival the utter awfulness of something I caught in the late 70s titled (actually REtitled) THE FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH. It was in truth a repackaging of a 60s film called THE BUBBLE, and sported a poster showing a gun with a blonde in a red dress in one hand and a gun in the other, shooting at a flying saucer overhead.

Well, the movie didn't have any guns or flying saucers, and the blonde woman is not in a red dress but she IS pregnant, and the main guy is Michael Cole of MOD SQUAD semi-fame, and the 'high point' of the whole slow mess is when the town drunk experiences DTs and imagines a plate floating toward him, a feeble excuse to justify the use of 3D.

That, and another movie I caught at the same theater (Meridian Quad in San Jose), FLESHBURN (another flick with a misleadingly attractive poster), have to rank as the most complete and utter wastes of celluloid I've ever suffered through. Can't imagine anybody ranking those, just ranking on them.

I do remember walking out on THE FIRM, hating it so much that I chose to sit outside in 105 degree heat for the last hour of the film rather than watch another frame, but however bad I found it to be, it still had Ed Harris and was as I recall mostly in focus, so it can't be included with the films I mention above.

Last edited by trevanian; July 14 2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: supplemental
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 04:37 PM   #33
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

For me, out of the original movies, TUC is my overwhelming favorite, followed closely by TMP. I love them all, but those are ones I would watch even if on TV and I'm tuning in part way through it.

If you're counting all of the movies (including the last 2), I have to put the 2009 movie strongly up with TUC. Some of you may hate me for that, but I do the same with that when it's on TV.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 05:42 PM   #34
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
If you're counting all of the movies (including the last 2), I have to put the 2009 movie strongly up with TUC. Some of you may hate me for that, but I do the same with that when it's on TV.
In my opinion, I prefer TUC over ST09, but I find them both very enjoyable nonetheless. It might be because both movies, for the most part, give everyone who's neither Kirk nor Spock something useful to do at least once in the movie (except for Chekov Prime, arguably, though he does get more screentime than in the past).
Old July 14 2014, 06:29 PM   #35
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
I'm convinced that every movie is someone's favorite, which is good news for Battlefield Earth.
...and most Adam Sandler movies...and Transformers movies, and...
Old July 15 2014, 03:17 AM   #36
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know there are some The Final Frontier fans around here.
Yes me, TFF is my favorite TOS movie, with TUC very very close behind. Those are the 2 movies I will watch and never get tired of.

TWOK is good but overrated IMO.
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 03:21 AM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

wulfio wrote: View Post
I would put good money on 2-Headed Shark Attack being nobodies favourite movie.
Well, Jersey Shore Shark Attack was much better.

I'm serious!
Old July 16 2014, 10:43 PM   #38
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I often have a hard time picking a favorite of the 12. I like them all; they each have things I love and parts that thrill me. My choice I guess depends on the day of the week, my mood, or how long it's been since I'd last seen the films.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 11:03 PM   #39
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

I like most of them. But I do think TUC is the best movie. TMP is the most majestic and TFF has the best kirk-spock-mccoy moments.

However, Insurrection is painfully average and I will never forgive the awful Nemesis for ruining 'All Good Things' as the TNG finale.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2014, 11:10 PM   #40
Aldo
Admiral

I'll go ahead and say it, TFF is probably my favorite TOS film. For most of the reasons already mentioned: the trio getting to shine. But I really love it for the musical score, and the Enterprise bridge is my favorite out of all six films, and I think the storyline is a sound one, if not quite as fleshed out as it could be.
Old July 17 2014, 05:30 PM   #41
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Yes TFF is at least 2 people's favourite.

How about GEN. Is that anyone's favourite?
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 06:01 PM   #42
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

The Undiscovered Country is my favorite, despite some of the beating it's taken the last 10 or so years. I love it when Trek get's a little political and TUC still holds up because of that.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 07:25 PM   #43
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

For me, COUNTRY is second only to SEARCH FOR SPOCK. It might be because all the secondaries save Chekov have one standout moment. It might even be because there was no food to condemn this time.
Old July 17 2014, 10:08 PM   #44
wulfio
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
wulfio wrote: View Post
I would put good money on 2-Headed Shark Attack being nobodies favourite movie.
Well, Jersey Shore Shark Attack was much better.

I'm serious!
I haven't seen that, but I can believe it. I happened to see 2 headed shark attack on the space channel last night and watched it again. It's so funny. You can see the people standing on their marks waiting to give their line while they are fidgeting with their hands, and once they're up they scream their line. And oh god Charlie O'Connell gave an oscar worthy performance.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 11:31 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My ranking:

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
6. Star Trek (2009)
7. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
8. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
9. Star Trek: Nemesis
10. Star Trek: Generations
11. Star Trek: First Contact