Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 11 2014, 09:48 PM   #16
varek
Commander

Re: Quality declination?

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I still enjoy TNG 3-7 - I'm picking up the BD's as they're released.

But S3 marked the start of what I refer to as "creeping blandness". The truly horrible "muzak" prevalent from late S4, over bright lighting on the ENT sets, "sterilisation" of the characters somewhat etc.
I agree. I thought Season 7 had some good episodes in it.
varek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 01:02 AM   #17
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Sure, season 7 had fewer standout episodes, but it was still quite good nonetheless. (except Sub Rosa of course )
Some of my favorite TNG episodes are from this season: Phantasms, Parallels, Homeward, Thine Own Self (), Masks and of course All Good Things. Even Genesis is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Season 1 is almost a different show. A bit campy. Season 2 is obviously a transitional season. Are the later seasons bland? Maybe in a soap opera, talking heads kind of way.... but I prefer them because of the better stories.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 03:08 AM   #18
Makarov
Captain

Eh I don't know. Season 6 seems almost as good as season 3 to me... yeah it has Time's Arrow which I hate but it makes up for it with Chain of Command and Birthright. I really enjoy season 2 as well. Once it gets to season 4 it feels a little more bland but I'm not sure I'd call it a drop in quality.

So I guess I'd say it got better and better until season 4 and then 5 & 6 stay at that level. Been a while since I've seen season 7 so I can't comment on it yet.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 04:21 AM   #19
Salinga
Fleet Captain

I think the problem was the schedule of 26 episodes, mostly single parter, plus the development of DS9. It just too much to keep the creativity flowing. In the end the writers had to fall back into too much formulars and technobabble solutions to be on schedule for filming. TNG would have been so much better with only around 10 to 16 stories per season, containing some two to three parters, without DS9. I think even 9 high quality seasons would have come out like that.

While I dont like ENT in general, the story telling format of season 4 with lots of three parters I like very much for Star Trek. It allows to explore a story much deeper and have more variation in a season since the need for bottle shows is less (the filming set costs for a story do span over two to three episodes instead of one).
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Seven of Five
Commodore

I think seasons three and four are the show's high point. I personally prefer S3 a bit more. Season five saw a little decline, that continued into season six. By season seven though, they were scraping the barrel, which, as Salinga points out, was probably due to many things. Creative burnout was certainly one of the reasons, but the producers were gearing up for the start of Voyager, Generations had a fixed release date, and of course DS9 was already up and running.

I find that season one treads water whilst it finds its feet, though the last third of it shows good improvement. Season two showed another improvement.
Old July 12 2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Seasons 3, 4 and 5 are the best seasons of the series. For the most part season one is just plain awful but things improved in season 2 but the show really took off for me in season 3. Season 6 is showing some wear and tear and season 7 is almost as bad as the first season.
Old July 12 2014, 08:42 PM   #22
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I thought it steadily declined after season two.
I actually agree. It seemed like the show tried to deny its roots...which actually put me off by the time season 3 hit....

No Andorians, changing the look of Vulcans and Romulans, no Orions, Tellerites to mix with the new aliens that were created. Not too mention, changing the uniforms, and taking away the 'fun' and adventure aspect of Trek.

With that said, there were some few good episodes in later seasons.
Old July 12 2014, 11:07 PM   #23
JesterFace
Lieutenant Commander

Interesting to read that some people don't like season 3 and beyond because it wasn't like the original series. I think it's a good thing it wasn't like TOS... Honestly because TNG was better. It wasn't a TOS remake, it was TNG and a long time had passed since the original. Could the original style and feeling even be created 20 years later...
JesterFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 11:17 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I have yet to see a show that doesn't decline in later seasons.
Old July 13 2014, 12:20 AM   #25
Lance
Commodore

JesterFace wrote: View Post
Interesting to read that some people don't like season 3 and beyond because it wasn't like the original series. I think it's a good thing it wasn't like TOS... Honestly because TNG was better. It wasn't a TOS remake, it was TNG and a long time had passed since the original. Could the original style and feeling even be created 20 years later...
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me the reason why Season 2 is the best is because it's a comfortable halfway house between the two extremes: very much its own thing with its own sense of character, but still TOS-like enough as well for it feel like a fit as a follow-up to the original. Season Three effectively saw it become a very different show. Many people like what it became, heck even I don't hate it, but I just prefer Seasons 1 & 2, that's all.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
This, very much so. No TV series yet that has lasted more than a season has ever managed to avoid the natural decay that comes with having been on the air for too long.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:11 AM   #26
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I actually agree. It seemed like the show tried to deny its roots...which actually put me off by the time season 3 hit....

No Andorians, changing the look of Vulcans and Romulans, no Orions, Tellerites to mix with the new aliens that were created. Not too mention, changing the uniforms, and taking away the 'fun' and adventure aspect of Trek.

Early seasons had more adventure than later seasons?

I think the middle seasons are most in touch with the series roots. Season 1 was more a flat painting of the superficial aspects of the original series. The later part of the series took the spirit of the original and tweaked it to 1990s sensibilities.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:13 AM   #27
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

One season shows?
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:34 AM   #28
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

Early seasons had more adventure than later seasons?

I think the middle seasons are most in touch with the series roots. Season 1 was more a flat painting of the superficial aspects of the original series. The later part of the series took the spirit of the original and tweaked it to 1990s sensibilities.
For me, later seasons became more talky and less adventurous...in other words, a bit boring.

Again, we never saw many of the TOS aliens due to Berman wanting to separate TNG from TOS, and the uniforms of the 1st season - again, something akin to the original series - were gone.

With all the problems I had with ENT, they did something right in bringing back Andorians, Orions, Tholians, the Gorn, Tellerites....while also showing new aliens.

As aforementioned, there are a few episodes from later seasons I do return to, but I tend to come back to Season 1 a bit more.

Interestingly, DS9 actually did acknowledge it's roots in TNG and TOS: 'Trials and Tribble-ations.' It also wasn't a TOS remake or a TNG clone; it was its own show. However, we also got a lot of action, a strong plot-line that crossed over seasons, flawed characters....as well as a serious aspect that challenged the 'Rodenberry ideal.'

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; July 13 2014 at 01:45 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:42 AM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It's not that I "dislike" the later seasons. It just felt like there was less of what I was looking for in them.
Old July 13 2014, 01:47 AM   #30
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Breaking Bad
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote