Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 11 2014, 03:39 AM   #1
dammitjim6400
Ensign

How many Ships are in This Star Fleet ?

Hello..Look, one thing I notice in the two NuTrek movies, WHY is the Earth Always defensless ? after being attack by Romulans then Admiral Marcus and Khan, how come the Enterprise get swatted around like a fly while the rest of the fleet "explores" Where are Earth defenses ?(they had them in TMP) How many ships are in this Star Fleet and where are they when Earth is Under Attack ? who has the best answer ?
dammitjim6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Re: How many Ships are in This Star Fleet ?

Well...the First movie shows a fleet of I think eight ships warp off to Vulcan. Seven of those ships were crippled or destroyed over Vulcan and Enterprise eventually returned home to defend Earth (the rest of the fleet was engaged in another star system, which was where Spock was heading before Kirk and Scott arrived to turn the ship back to Earth).

The Second movie has several starships at the spacedock when Enterprise leaves. None respond fast enough to intercept Enterprise and Vengence, probably because both are Federation ships and the Admiral was pulling something when they came out of warp. By the time there is a problem, it should be solved with tractor beams to keep the ships from crashing into Earth.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Nero tortured Pike to get Starfleet's defence codes in ST'09, and in ID Marcus was pulling strings to ensure no-one interfered with his plan - remember he told Kirk what the official story was, that Kirk had gone rogue and allied with John Harrison leaving him no choice but to destroy the Enterprise.
Old July 11 2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Dukhat
Commodore

dammitjim6400 wrote: View Post
Hello..Look, one thing I notice in the two NuTrek movies, WHY is the Earth Always defensless ? after being attack by Romulans then Admiral Marcus and Khan, how come the Enterprise get swatted around like a fly while the rest of the fleet "explores" Where are Earth defenses ?(they had them in TMP) How many ships are in this Star Fleet and where are they when Earth is Under Attack ? who has the best answer ?
1. Nero's ship was a century more advanced than the 23rd century Starfleet. He obviously took out Earth's defenses just as easily as he destroyed the Starfleet ships over Vulcan.

2. Marcus was C&C of Starfleet. He could have easily ordered any other ships away from Earth if he wanted to.
Old July 12 2014, 04:41 AM   #5
austen_pierce
Captain

42 ships

All in the Laurentian system
Old July 12 2014, 02:43 PM   #6
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

And who knows what else locked into the dockyards for maintenance, ships tied down on border patrol re: the Romulan and Klingon territories (among others as yet undisclosed), deep-range exploration projects...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:04 AM   #7
dammitjim6400
Ensign

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
42 ships

All in the Laurentian system
LOL. So if a fleet of Klingon ships come, Earth dosen't stand a chance.
dammitjim6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 01:52 AM   #8
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, that's pretty much Star Trek 101. Earth is screwed until the E shows up.
Old July 13 2014, 11:43 AM   #9
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 12:09 PM   #10
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Old July 13 2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

While "The Star Trek Encyclopedia" generally sticks with canon, or acknowledges when not - especially when dealing with classes and registries of Star Ships, combining it and a listing of Wiki "Lists of Starfleet Starships" I total approximately 300 in Classes, from A to Z, including "non-starships", refits, support ships and non-canon ships referenced in paper publications...if it is reasonable to calculate an average of 20-40 ships in each class, a VERY rough estimate, i freely admit, than I think there could be 8000 or more ships total...

...excluding the non-canon, non-star ships, support ships, and the like, the total is approximately 220 ships in each class, A to Z...

...these totals are not definitive, but I did spend some time with the sources listed below, culling novel- mentioned and alternate timeline ships...the totals do include both NCC and NX...In the canon totals, I did my best to include truly canon ships...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...dered_by_class

The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future / Updated and Expanded Edition by Michael; Okuda, Denise; with Debbie Mirek Okuda (1997)

I also found a source, lists below, that estimated 30,000, but I think that is a little high...IMHO

http://www.ditl.org/searchdisplay-page.php
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Depends on the writer, really. In TOS, we were led to believe, perhaps because of budget limitations, or perhaps because the Enterprise was in deep space, that ships were few and far apart. The problem didn't really show until the movies, where Earth began getting threatened, I guess for "wham" effect. Right up until Best of Both Worlds, getting several ships at the same spot was a huge deal.

But in DS9, it seems like Starfleet is brimming with ships. What was it ? Over 600 UFP and Klingon ships at the battle to re-take the station ? That's an order of magnitude above Wolf 359.
Old July 14 2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Well Star Fleet does go from NX-2000 being finished in Star Trek III to ships in the 74000s by the time USS Voyager is launch, and the early Galaxy-class ships from at most a decade earlier are in the 71000s.

But for the NuTrek fleet? Unknown. The hull numbers are all over the place as here are ships in he 1700s that are obviously older than the brand new USS Enterprise (NCC-1701). Unless of course the Enterprise was ordered around the same time as it was in the Prime Universe, but delayed by over ten years due to technology changes. The hull number being assigned when ordered In this case, allowing for some of the other ships to have higher hull numbers that the brand new starship.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 09:09 AM   #14
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

The rest of the fleet... won't arrive until Tuesday.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 04:51 PM   #15
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

dammitjim6400 wrote: View Post
One thing to note is that it's hardly just nuTrek -- the movies follow the rather dependable trope of leaving just the Enterprise as the only real option. TMP, TFF, and Generations come to mind.

At least this time, the nuTrek movies actually explained why that was the case. Generations was just ridic (a crisis 3 light years away, and the Enterprise, docked at Earth, is the only ship in range? And its good stuff won't be coming till Tuesday?).